Where Do I Start?

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Where Do I Start?

Post by Mr SNG »

Nearly two years ago I purchased a Hictop 3DP12 from ebay, the main motive for buying it was to print off bespoke parts for my engineering.

After building it I started to try and level the print bed and sort of gave up, covered up the machine and its been stored on a shelf in my workshop ever since!

I'm no thick head to computer aided machining as I use a CNC mill most of the time. However the time has come where I need to start using a 3D printer.

So before I commit myself to tinkering around with this machine I'm hoping someone can kindly guide and advise me on any issues I need to know about starting with firmware. What is the latest version I should use and how do I upgrade the machines controller?

I guess I'ts best to consider me a total newb so any pointers to get me started in the right direction will be really appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Where Do I Start?

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hello Dave ; (Mr SNG)

Guess you may be addressing a Hictop 3DP11 and 3DP12 owner both upgraded to the newest firmware.
There are many threads here to read though if you start in the Hictop thread of the Forum you may find,
what you are looking for in here ready for you to read in the Software or Hardware threads.

Not putting you off! I am giving you some homework, when you have quickly read over the sections you will
have a better ideal of what you want to achieve if you have not already found this information.

I left my 3D Printer stock with the exception on my choice of proximity sensor an filament run-out switch.

I have upgraded threw most versions of Marlin firmware 1.1.x and Marlin 2.0.x
Posting links to original hardware compatible Marlin firmware that work with Hictop 3DP12.
Since finding a copy of chip lucks Marlin firmware 2 years ago.

Number one on my list of things to have is a copy of the original Hictop Firmware located here.
With this is tow you will not have to worry about updating the firmware as you will have an Original backup.

Post with any questions you have, we will be here to help.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on March 29th, 2020, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Hi Cliff

Many thanks for your reply and apologies for my slow response! I'm a tool maker and have somewhat been otherwise distracted because of my work lately.

Yes as advised by you I have started to read threads about setting the printer up, it would seem its pretty important that I should upgrade the firmware so that will be my first task to carry out before anything else is done.

Regards
Dave
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hello @Mr SNG

When you are ready let me know.
Have configured most versions of Marlin 1.1.x and even a Marlin 2.0.x and would be happy to help you.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Hello Cliff

I've now downloaded Arduino & Marlin 3DP11-12.Zip.

Although I have some previous experience with flashing a few eeprom's on other types of equipment I would much prefer to be treated in this case as a total newb, as Alexander Pope once quoted 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' !

So I guess my next move is to install Arduino
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Chip lucks is a good version of marlin however we have much newer versions available.

Though it is something to experiment with until you decide which version of marlin will suit your needs best.

I would suggest a version of Marlin with a higher version number as in Marlin 1.1.9bf or Marlin 2.0.x.
I am currently using Marlin 2.0.x on all my 3D Printers and my CNC.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Is it easier to use Cura to upload firmware to my printer?

Just come across this video on youtube
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

You can use Cura to upload the compiled firmware that is saved as a hex file.
I have a non-standard firmware, where I have used the best features of marlin and have changed hardware.
This means that the standard Hictop firmware will no longer work with my 3D Printer that I have customized.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Would you advise then that I start off with using Arduino rather than Cura? And will Cura upload Marlin-1.1.9BF to my printer?

I can appreciate I have to start somewhere and maybe there is a bit of ground to cover with the learning process. But my aim is to get this printer working properly without too many issues.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

This is actually a personal decision that one has to make themselves.

It is a learning experience that will teach you much in 3D Printer configurations.
You have already uploaded a hex file that works remember, this will always work as your backup.

I have posted many of my versions of marlin for Hictop based on Chips Lucks Post here on this forum for others.
Maybe we can get some of them to tell you if the newer version of Marlin were worth the work they did.
Maybe they could share their experience during this learning adventure.

Some will tell you that if it is not broke don't fix it, while other want the learning experience.
An then there are some like myself that wanted their 3D Printer working at peak performance.
You decide and we will all be here when your decision is made.

Everything I have used On my Hictop's 3DP11/12
Hictop 3DP11/3DP12
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11mwfU ... WlrDAuYSCo

Just Firmware for Original Hictop 3DP08-3DP12
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xNnTW ... 1N1CCoZVch
The Twins 2.jpg
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on September 23rd, 2019, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Neat looking setup you have there Cliff 8-)

I'm hoping to steal a bit of time sometime this week to have another play with setting up my printer, pretty busy at work still. :roll:
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Tell me when I might find the time to be here for faster response time for your postings.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Sorry for all my delayed response, I have a mountain of work going on at present.

Would it be okay with you that I post as and when events happen? I realise you have commitments yourself and I will understand if it takes a day or two for you to get back.

Appreciate your advice so far.

Many thanks
Dave
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

OK.

Though I do check the forums several time a day!
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Hi Cliff

Managed to get most of my work load completed so now able to throw some time into setting up my machine and learning about the software.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I am using an acer 32 bit laptop, I like this old lappy as it has a large monitor and its been great when its hooked upto my CNC machine.

However the last update for Cura 32 bit was 2.3.1,do you think this version will still be ok to use?

Return to “General Questions”