Successful 1st ABS Print

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Successful 1st ABS Print

Post by Roberts_Clif »

After printing the PLA at such high temperatures the room stunk of the fumes even with the vent fans running.

So I took my Ionic Breeze turned it on full, withing a few minutes the fumes were gone.
It sounded like a smoke eater as it cleaned the pollution out of the room.
This means my environmental 3D Printer enclosure leaks or not moving sufficient air to keep fumes from leaking into the room.

The design was fashioned like a dust free work station, where Air is blown into the case thru a filter to keep dust out the case.
Where in my design the air flows into the case from an opening that measures 4' wide by 6" high front/bottom into the case through
the case to the vent location top/rear and outside the house.

See in this picture
Enclosure 2.jpg
If someone can see a flaw in this design please post help full information.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I assembled the case from a sheet of particle board an a 2"x2" a 1/2"x 4" boards
Cutting the sheet of plywood into 5 pieces from the single 4X8 sheet.

1xBottom 24-5/8 X 48 x 5/8 inches
1xback 24 X 48 x 5/8 inches
1xTop 24-5/8 X 48 x 5/8 inches
2xSides 22-3/4 X 23-3/8 x 5/8 inches

I added a center brace 2" X 2" X 22-3/4" to fit the height
I added a top plate with a 1/2"x4" to fit across the top to mount hinges

All pieces were wood glued together.
Then I added two pieces of plastic 24" x 18" attached with two 24" hinges to the top plate.
Placing the Room fan in the back wall center top
Using a single dual plugin center bottom (" NOTE: upgraded to two dual plugin") wired separately to two 500 watt Battery backups.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Roberts_Clif wrote: November 7th, 2018, 7:39 am After printing the PLA at such high temperatures the room stunk of the fumes even with the vent fans running.
You mean ABS, right?
So I took my Ionic Breeze turned it on full, withing a few minutes the fumes were gone. It sounded like a smoke eater as it cleaned the pollution out of the room. This means my environmental 3D Printer enclosure leaks or not moving sufficient air to keep fumes from leaking into the room.

The design was fashioned like a dust free work station, where Air is blown into the case thru a filter to keep dust out the case. Where in my design the air flows into the case from an opening that measures 4' wide by 6" high front/bottom into the case through the case to the vent location top/rear and outside the house.
Sounds like your exhaust is not properly filtered. There are plenty of DIY instructions available that can be modified for your useage. One I saw even uses an Arduino if you feel like getting really fancy.

UPDATE:
I just noticed you are venting to the outside. Does your outside vent have a fan to help suck or are you relying on the intake fans to push it out? You want to have suction, not forced in. Being in a house with two large dogs, I fully understand the dust concern.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: November 7th, 2018, 9:40 am You mean ABS, right?
No I forgot to remove the PLA before printing at ABS temps, And the fumes were not ABS just really strong fumes.

Remember not all PLA is not the Same, some cheaper brands are mixtures of cheaper materials.

I am using a bathroom vent fan on the back of the Enclosure and piping it to the Outside vent with flexible aluminum duct pipe.

It is highly possible it is leaking though I wrapped it with duct tape.

Oh!!!

Thanks for the Info.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I have 3 cats and have an air purifier running down where the printers are. I'd like to vent outside but would probably have to hire someone that's savvy on the proper ways to move the air
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Well I have built entire houses, you would think I could build a simple enclosure and vent the fumes outside.

Return to “General Questions”