Bubbles under Build Surface

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Bubbles under Build Surface

Post by Roberts_Clif »

More News on My ABS Printing endeavor.

I have been printing with Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape over My Build Surface now for Almost 1 year with no Build Surface adhesion Problems.
Now that I have turned up the Temp 86°-100°C to the Build Surface, Air bubbles are forming between the Build Surface and the Aluminum Heat bed.

Is this what everyone is mistaking for an warped build surface or is this something that is occurring only on my 3D Printer setup.

Don't tell me I should have done an auto bed leveling, because my inductive proximity sensor cannot detect the non-ferrous build surface material.
And if I had a BL-touch the bubbles easily compressed with the slightest pressure back to the aluminum bed appearing to not be there, so do not believe a BL-touch would have made a difference.
Now an optical bed sensor would have detected the bubbles but when the Nozzle came across the bubble it would merely deform the bubbles causing the bed leveling data to still be inaccurate.

Anyway I took a sewing needle and poked tiny holes in the build surface and squeegeed pretty hard to remove the air bubbles,
an make the build surface level again.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Bubbles under Build Surface

Post by GrueMaster »

Sounds like heat expansion created the bubbles. I've never printed with ABS before, but you are running at boiling temp, so any air/moisture trapped under the tape will expand greatly.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I am just over coming a few obstacles in my endeavour to learn the steps to a prefect 3D Print.

This one is being able to keep my build surface from forming air bubbles at the ABS build surface temperatures.
Most likely air was there the entire time and just expanded during the 1st few ABS builds, Air has been released now so may never occur again.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Yeah I went through this with the clear PEI sheets. Now I'm using a solid polypropylene bed....love it

https://tiny-machines-3d.myshopify.com/ ... d-printers
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Yes! I may have to go this way, However my Proximity sensor is a 3mm sensor this may create problems as "235*305(CR-10 Mini) " is 3mm thick
This would need to be trimmed to my Heater bed size of 220*270mm is it even possible to to trim this material.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I'm using it with my CR-10S with an EZABL sensor

Return to “General Questions”