Hictop Upgrades

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
JoelR
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Prusa i3

Re: Hictop Upgrades

Post by JoelR »

NotMe999 wrote:I worked on getting dual extrusion ...
Did you have any issues with the secondary extruder? I have the same printer as you but the second extruder step setting is way off and looking for some insight.
NotMe999
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 with Auto-leveling

Post by NotMe999 »

JoelR,
Did you have any issues with the secondary extruder? I have the same printer as you but the second extruder step setting is way off and looking for some insight.
I'm not quite certain what you mean by the second extruder step setting. Unless I missed something, there's only one step setting for both extruders.

I bought two new stepper motors for the extruders (so they would match), and then had to change the rate to get 100 mm of filament for a command of 100 mm. They did not not feed the same as the one that came with the printer, and I'm not using that motor right now.

With the older version of Cura (I haven't used Slic3r, so I'm not sure about it), there is a setting for the offset of the extruder nozzles, but the same setting is available in the Marlin firmware. Don't set both of them, only one. Otherwise, you end up doubling the offset. Made that mistake first, and ended up with the two dual extrusion test crosses offset when they print.

A number of changes to the firmware for the dual extrusion and the PID settings for the hot ends. I'm still working on some fine tuning, but I've manged to get some acceptable prints out of it.

If you can be a little more specific, I might be able to help more.
JoelR
Reactions:

Post by JoelR »

I bought a new stepper motor to add dual extrusion. I placed the new motor at ext0 and the original at ext1. Maintained the gear drive configuraton from stock with the addition of all metal framework. I did not change any settings in Marlin as to the step count from what I configured with the original. Ext0, feeds correctly. Ext1 feeds at about double the rate - through the LCD panel, telling it to extrude 20mm of filament extrudes 40mm of filament. Printing dual extrusion tests produces heaps of skipping do to feeding too fast. I've upgrade the x-axis stepper to a bigger stepper so maybe I'll try putting that in ext0 and see if it reacts the same way since they would be a compatible pair. But it makes no sense why it is extruding at twice the rate when the problem extruder was the one originally used to configure the extrusion rate.
JoelR
Reactions:

Post by JoelR »

Well, now it seems to have settled down. Not sure why or what happened. Only issue I am having now is too large of a retraction with PETG pulling the filament out of the hot end and getting stuck trying to push it back in (e3d clone with a reprap all-metal heatbreak), but that is one I can tackle myself.
NotMe999
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 with Auto-leveling

Post by NotMe999 »

Glad to hear the stepper motor issue seems to have fixed itself. Hope things work out with the filament retraction.
JoelR
Reactions:

Post by JoelR »

Well, need to step that back a bit. The original change did not work as expected. I had to undo the customization of the planner.cpp and only include a single E value for steps. The guide I had followed to inject a 5th element into the array and actually use it was old and the current code reworked to the point that the customization did something entirely different. After resetting everything, I am printing with proper extrusion. Polished up the heat break of the clone and coned the PTFE tube for a better fit and the extraction issue is fixed as well. Just need to print out a new hot-end mount that allows me to adjust the height of the second hot end to put it in alignment with the first and replace the original bearings for the carriage as all but a few of the threads are stripped. Need to find some better quality bearings or an alternative mount that will allow me to use supported rods.
wridley
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP18

Post by wridley »

Do you have a link to the fan mount for the stepper motor?
3dversity
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): prusa i3 mk3, hictop 3dp12, tronxy x5s

Post by 3dversity »

Hi there everyone i'm new on the forum, so i'll introduce myself. My name is Joseph and i've been working with 3dprinters for a while. THe problem i'm getting is becuase i am noy capable yet to understand how to program marlin for my hictop 3dp12. Currently i was trying to use some configuration.h file i've found on internet for my printer but i getting this error message, where ide is telling that the protocol information must be specified and so on with other stuff. any advice? I would like to upgraded the firmware so it will more precise. in other hand i would like to change for bowden extruder, but i need a good configuration.h file because is the only thing i now at the moment, how to calibrate the extruder.

thanks
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

You have come to the right place. And we would be more than glad to help you figure out your 3DP12 / Marlin delima.

I have a 3DP11 an 3DP12 and I have setup Most version Marlin 1.1.x - Marlin 2.0.x so name your Poison.
We will start with What version of Marlin, and have you made any hardware changes.

As I have never done a Bowden Extruder I will leave this part to other who have more knowledge this particular piece of hardware.

I can give you the Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h files pre-configured to work with Hictop 3DP12.
The first thing you need to do it to get you a Hictop firmware backup in case somethings goes wrong.

Hictop web link is a good place to download a Hex file for your original firmware.

This is a hex file and cannot be altered but it is a must in my opinion to have a back before you continue down this road to programming.

Every Program I have written has a minimum of three copies.
One on a Blu-Ray Disk, One on a backup Storage device that is not plugged in an one on a storage device connected to my computer.

When I decide to change a program, first I make a good duplicate of the program that I will be changing.
Then I will name a folder for this programs changes and place the duplicate program into the folder indicating the changes that will be made.
This will leave the Original unaffected by any changes that I will be making. And the date stamps will indicate the newest versions.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I need to update my information, as it appears that sometime in time Hictop Has actually released some Marlin firmware.
It is really old firmware but is appears to be correctly setup for the Hictop 3D Printers. Wonder when that did this!!!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

A while ago. I show the download date on my system as March 2017 (which sounds about right - I had just bought my 3DP-17 and was asking them almost weekly for it).
3dversity
Reactions:

Post by 3dversity »

Hi, thanks for replying so fast. Roberts cliff, yes if is possible i would like to have your configuration.h file to see if it works properly on my machine. ANother question is if actually do you know any tutorial to build a version of marlin for myself? which is the difference between the 3dp12 and the 3dp17? .

thanks for the help
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

My Hictop 3DP11 an Hictop 3DP12 have been upgraded to better than a 3DP17.
If you want the Source it is located here they should all compile using Adruino 1.8.8 or better.

I have included four versions all were originally setup for My 3D Printers and reconfigured to the standard 3DP11 / 12 with Proximity Sensor.
Notes have been added to make the changes a little simpler for the Hictop 3DP11 / 12.
Including two different Proximity sensors and a filament run-out sensor switch using the X-Max end-stop switch.

I have recently changed the board configurations from
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB

To in the newest versions of Marlin 1.1.9BF witch will add you the extra extruder stepper or an Extra Fan.
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MKS_GEN_13 // EFBF or EFBE
and Marlin 2.0.0BF this is not included as I am still testing these Boards configurations with the firmware.
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MKS_BASE_14 // EFBF or EFBE

If you are updating to a Bowden extruder you may want to think about adding a Dual extruder or a Mixing extruder.
You could do this by mounting the Stepper motors on the upper frame moving the filament spools off the 3D Printer.

The Twins 2018-3.JPG
3dversity
Reactions:

Post by 3dversity »

So if i understood you right. If i use the 1.1.9 marlin configuration and loaded into my printer everything should work fine right? on the other hand i would like to get it bowden because i want to do the dual extruder so i can print on to colors. i dont know how difficult would be but i will give a try.

I think i will check your marlin code so maybe i will be able to understand what i have to change in each part.

thanks Robert really appreciated the help
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I started with This version with a SN04-N was from Chip Luck on the Thread below.
http://www.3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=298

I though I had made the correct changes to remove my special mods, though I could have missed one.

If you want me to verify that all the compatible configurations are the same I will.
I have made many changes to the firmware to account for My TL-W3MC2 Proximity Sensor.
My home made Filament run-out switch connected to X-Max end-stop switch.

I know we can help you to get it correct if it is not,

As of today's updates to Google Drive all Marlin 1.1.x files
Complies with no errors. Set to SN04-N settings and no Filament run-out setup with Auto Bed leveling.

Return to “Hardware Modifications”