The Twins

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

The Twins

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I had to replace the filament spool holders inside the my 3D Printer heated enclosure, they had warped and dragging on the power supplies.
Though the temperature is only at 100F over an extended period of time my PLA filament spool holders have warped.
This is the 2rd time so decided to go with 2020 UNIVERSAL SPOOL HOLDER and mounted it the the rear of the Enclosure.

The Twins 2018-3.JPG

Already thought about it and May regret the location!!!
Though when filament breaks easily I place in the heated chamber and the little bit of warmth allows me to use the roll completely up.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: The Twins

Post by GrueMaster »

I'm surprised you didn't mount them from the top facing forward so you could see at a glance how much filament you have left.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Well, guess what?

Never came into my mind when I decided on using this design.
Thought about mounting them to the sides though did not like the route the filament would have to take.
Then was abandoned when the Filament in the corners ideal was formed in my mind. It is really strange though.
Of all the filament rolls I have never considered the filament spools without the side view ports on them.

I can always move the Filament spool holder again, it's not like it has not been moved many times before the current design.
And still have some paint can putty to plug the holes and move to the top, just do not have a design to work there as of today.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Examined the location of my new Spool Holder over very carefully, have decided this position is not going to be a problem.
When in front of Red I can see the Blu's spool, and in front of Blu I can see the Red's spool and can be center and See both spools.

However may try a different filament than PLA to get a stronger part holder on the wall.
What would you suggest for a 3D Printer that has only printed PLA.
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Post by Mr SNG »

Roberts_Clif wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 10:39 am However may try a different filament than PLA to get a stronger part holder on the wall.
What would you suggest for a 3D Printer that has only printed PLA.
ABS would be my choice for strength but I haven't tried it in my printer yet, I have only used this material in my mould injection machines!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Well As I have a 3DP11/3DP12 printer an can tell you that they will print ABS.

However I have never printed ABS without being in my Home Made enclosure.
Though believe it will print ABS. If you have a skirt around the machine to keep cool air breezes away.
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Post by Mr SNG »

As with any thermo plastic it will let you know if things are too hot. The worst one is acetal (POM) that will get the eyes streaming !

Return to “Hardware Modifications”