Which firmware version to use for a 3DP17?

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
gloomyandy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hicrop 3dp17

Which firmware version to use for a 3DP17?

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to 3d printing (but lot's of experience of software and robotics etc. cnc and the rest). I've dipped my toe in the 3d printing water with a Hictop 3dp17. I'm currently printing the test Hictop supplied test print ( which seems to be a shamrock shot glass - they could have chosen something that takes less than 3 hours to print!).

Anyway I've already become rather frustrated with the stock firmware (lack of eprom etc) so will be updating to a more recent version. The question is which one to go for? Is the very latest stable release 1.1.8 working with with this printer or are there issues? If so what version would folks recommend? Does anyone have a configuration.h that will be a good match for my hardware. My printer came with a MPK V1 board:

and has the auto level sensors and the filament detection.

Also is there a reason that a configure.h file for the various hictop printers has not made it back into the main Marlin githuib repo? seems a pity that the work done here is not more generally available.

Thanks for all the hard work, I'm site I'll be back with more questions soon...

Andy
gloomyandy
Reactions:

Re: Which firmware version to use for a 3DP17?

Post by gloomyandy »

So a quick update. I did a little more digging and decided to try 1.1.5 a try as this seems to be working for others with a similar setup. So I grabbed a copy of the files provided by Roberts_clif in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=860#p11296

I was able to build it ok (after making a couple of adjustments to the ABL probing configuration that I enabled which caused some software asserts to trigger, basically due to the position of my sensor). I downloaded the newly built firmware, and tried to jog the things and all was well. Then I tried to home the x and y axis and hit a problem, both shot in the direction away from home and crashed into the other end of the machine. After a lot of staring at the code I noticed that the display was indicating that the endstop had been triggered even though the switch was not pressed. It would seem that on my 3dp17 the endstops operate in the inverted fashion to how they are configured in the above download. I quickly changed things to invert them and now homing auto levelling and everything else I've tried seems to be working fine!

Thanks for making the above configuration available.

The only other changes I've made are to shorten the duration of the beep (it was driving me nuts) and a couple of cosmetic changes. I have been able to print a couple of test prints with no problems.

I wonder if there are any changes worth having in the latest 1.1.8 release? I may update to that and give it a try at some point.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

It would be nice to have the setting you used to keep on file

Thank You
gloomyandy
Reactions:

Post by gloomyandy »

No problem. I'll post my configuration file when I get chance. Thanks again for all of the help and information you have provided here...
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

gloomyandy wrote: January 24th, 2018, 4:45 pm
I wonder if there are any changes worth having in the latest 1.1.8 release? I may update to that and give it a try at some point.
Look Here

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases
gloomyandy
Reactions:

Post by gloomyandy »

Hera s my current Configuraton.h file.
Configuration.h
(61.01 KiB) Downloaded 763 times
Hope this is the best way to provide it. It seemed to be too large to paste in code tags.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”