All built, but now Cura 2.7 says printer is not connected

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
boiler02
Reactions:

All built, but now Cura 2.7 says printer is not connected

Post by boiler02 »

Hictop 3DP-11-ATL (stock firmware)
Windows 7 64-bit
Cura 7

Got everything put together, installed Cura 2.7, connected via USB to the printer....and Cura says the printer isn't connected. Once I plugged in the USB, Windows installed the driver and I can see it listed in the Device Manager, but Cura is being a pain. Any suggestions?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: All built, but now Cura 2.7 says printer is not connected

Post by LePaul »

Try a different version, like 2.6.2
boiler02
Reactions:

Post by boiler02 »

Bigger issue at the moment is I can't get it to extrude, even manually (nozzle is at temp, ~210)
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hictop includes the Cura 15.04.6 on the CD.

Here are my Cura 15.04.6 profiles.
Cura 15.04.6 Settings.zip
(15.31 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Here are my Cura 2.6.2 profiles
Cura 2.6.2.zip
(4.22 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've read a few people had some issues with USB printing on the latest version. Not sure what the exact problem is. @nallath might have some insight!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

The problem is that the USB controls have been rewritten from 15.04. They will detect if the printer is there if you have the proper com port (and in Linux, are part of the dialout group - needed for access to the com ports), but it won't give you a printer status, and it won't allow you to control the printer. At least if it doesn't detect the printer, it won't allow you to print via USB.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

That's interesting.

I don't use USB much...when testing my printer I find I use the Machine Controls in Simplify3D or via my OctoPi server.
boiler02
Reactions:

Post by boiler02 »

I removed 2.7 and installed the version from the Hictop CD, and that actually worked fairly well. I didn't get a chance to try 2.6.2 (my internet connection was painfully slow on the download) but will see if I can get it to work tonight or tomorrow.

Clif, thanks for the profiles! I was also going to ask if you'd be willing to share your calibration / config files for me to use as a basis when I go to update the firmware.

LePaul, would you recommend the octopi? I've been hemming and hawing over ordering the RPi3.

Folks, I want to thank you all for your help, suggestions, and advice. Coming into all of this almost completely blind was very daunting and you all are making it less painful all the time.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

boiler02 wrote: September 6th, 2017, 10:53 am
LePaul, would you recommend the octopi? I've been hemming and hawing over ordering the RPi3.
The Pros are the remote viewing and remote controlling of a print in progress. It seems to work very well in these roles and for under $100, a fun build too.

The only real Con...I've read of some people picking up interference from the USB cable going from the printer to the Pi. Some have noticed some print differences between those printed with the Pi and those using an onboard SD Card. One potential fix is to use a USB cord with a ferrite core to reduce noise (they are commonly used on motor cables). I really haven't seen this happen for me and would have to see if others have reported this problem...or if it's largely a technical myth?

On a search I found posts like this.... https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 5_WYvQqrFg

And like this....more recent... https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/issues/1876
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

boiler02 wrote: September 6th, 2017, 10:53 am Clif, thanks for the profiles! I was also going to ask if you'd be willing to share your calibration / config files for me to use as a basis when I go to update the firmware.
Had Cura 2.7 Installed ran into Windows problems had to do a system restore will have to reinstall again. Was working good too.

The profiles are for my environment and may need adjusting for yours. Thou this will give you a starting point.

I have all the Settings for the Marlin 1.1.0 RC6_Hici3 - Marlin 1.1.5 which I am currently testing now.
When you decide to Upgrade firmware let me what version we can share the knowledge of what we have learned.

Credit should go where credit belongs shocksofmighty post is where I got my First Marlin that would compile without errors.
From there is was trial and error.
boiler02
Reactions:

Post by boiler02 »

Roberts_Clif wrote: September 6th, 2017, 1:02 pm The profiles are for my environment and may need adjusting for yours. Thou this will give you a starting point.
The environments should be pretty identical, though, right? Other than firmware, color, spool hanger, wire chain (working on that tonight), and the z-axis sensor location / offset...our 24V units should be the same.

Could you share your configuration.h (if it's different than shocksofmighty's 1.1.0RC8)?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Small changes like temp, my printers run in the 192-198C range 25-50C Bed Temp Yours may very well want to work in the 198-210C range.
ABS temp may be in to 230 -250C range. My Printer May like faster speeds than your , your printer may like faster speeds than mine.

You know small things beyond our control. Sent My settings to the UK they Worked there same printer. Every thing should be OK.

25C ~ Room temp

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”