Extruder port

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
05Jeep
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop 3dp-18

Extruder port

Post by 05Jeep »

The extruder port E0 on my board has failed and I need to change the firmware to access the port E1. Can anyone tell me how to do this? My firmware is listed as: Marlin_3DP16_3DP18_398.cpp
This doesn't seem to relate to any Marlin version I see, but I can't get any help from the folks at HicTop. It does load, but it's a .hex file which I can open but not follow.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Extruder port

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Marlin Firmware Marlin-1.1.0-RC6_Hici3-1.1.0-RC6_CL061316a.rar

In pins_RAMPS_14.h

#define E0_STEP_PIN 26
#define E0_DIR_PIN 28
#define E0_ENABLE_PIN 24

#define E1_STEP_PIN 36
#define E1_DIR_PIN 34
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN 30

Swap the Pins from E1 to E0

Firmware will have to be programmed to fit your hardware.

Why not Replace Q4 - the IRF540N N-Channel Mosfet only 3 pins and cost $4.80 for 10 pcs.
While you are at it add a Heat-sink and thermo insulator pads to the Mosfets, like I did, including a 60mm fan to cool.

All that is required is solder wick, solder, and a 27 watt isolated soldering iron and the replacement parts. And the Heat sinks ideal is optional.

Controller.jpg
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on June 29th, 2017, 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Extruder port

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Read other post on Hictop 3DP-08: Firmware not working properly

Marlin is the Software/Firmware that controls your 3D Printer.

In it is has different sections some are for programming while other are for configurations, actually it is all programming.
To be able to upgrade your 3D Printer hardware you need to be able to follow simple instructions on how to configure the firmware for the hardware.

You then need to be able to compile that modified firmware into the controller so it can execute your changes and operate the new hardware.

A good place to start is the download and install Arduino IDE from here

Next you could download the Firmware above extract it to a folder called "Marlin"

From inside that folder you can double click on the "Marlin.ino" file and execute it with the Arduino IDE.
Once inside the Arduino IDE you will need to set up the Arduino IDE to compile using your Controller CPU type.
Then you will be able to compile software for your 3D Printer, do not upload firmware to the controller unless you are sure the settings are correct, or you may just kill your controller.

This information is for you to get familiar with the firmware like we all had to do before we were able to update our 3D Printers.

It took me months before I was ready to do my 1st upload, and only after I had a working backup controller.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”