x-axis stepper making nasty sound and fighting itself

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
dads_wrath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Prusa i3

x-axis stepper making nasty sound and fighting itself

Post by dads_wrath »

Here is what it is doing most of the time but not always:
https://goo.gl/photos/wRpVinpA9TnAEbQJ9

I was able to giggle the wire going into the stepper and this behavior stopper for a while but resurfaced half-way through a print.

This is my first printer build so I'm not really familiar with what to look for to fix this.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): FFCP, HICTOP i3

Re: x-axis stepper making nasty sound and fighting itself

Post by shocksofmighty »

First guess: bad stepper driver in control board. This did work correctly at some point, right?
dads_wrath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Prusa i3

Post by dads_wrath »

It worked for the first test print. then the second not. It's intermittent at this point. I thought it was the wire connection at one point but could be unrelated. It cam connected to the board under an encloser and I have not opened it up to look at the control board. The manufacturer has a troublshooting page that goes over checking the voltage on the board for each motor so I was going to try that. It's like the motor goes back and forth each time I tell it to go in one direction. I checked all the pins and they seem fine but maybe signal is crossed?
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

Yeah, you gotta pull the cover off of the board and take a look around. This could be as simple as reseating the JST connector that is in there. Turn off the power, pull out the 4 M3 bolts and have a look.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Does the carriage move freely when the system is off? Could the belt be binding on the right side bearing?
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Does the carriage move freely when the system is off? Could the belt be binding on the right side bearing?
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

GrueMaster wrote:Does the carriage move freely when the system is off? Could the belt be binding on the right side bearing?
I'd considered that as well, but after watching the video carefully, it looks like the stepper really is oscillating back and forth in some way.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Another thing you can try that is fairly easy is to take the extruder stepper motor off its mount and plug the X motor wire into it to see how it behaves. That will at least eliminate the control board and wiring as the issue.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”