Manual Mesh Bed Leveling (3DP-12)

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
PrintNEU
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3D Prusa i3

Manual Mesh Bed Leveling (3DP-12)

Post by PrintNEU »

So I've upgraded to Chip's Marlin firmware and it is working great. While its been printing well, I've noticed my aluminum bed is beginning to warp causing larger prints I'm doing to fail regularly. I activated the auto leveling feature in Marlin but because (I think) the SN-04 sensor is so far from the nozzle the printer gets a skewed sense of the bed's contours causing the middle of the bed to be too far from the nozzle and the edges to be too close

With all that I think I want to move away from the autolevel feature and try the manual Mesh leveling that's included in the Marlin version Chip released (under the Prepare menu). I have a few questions about it, starting with saving the data from it. Each time I've used it as soon as I start a print sequence I feel like the data from the manual leveling is over written or ignored because it seems to only go off the single level sequence done just before the print in the forward left corner. Is there something I have to change in the firmware to activate it? Or is it working correctly and I'm just crazy...

If anyone could help me resolve this and maybe have it set up so that mesh is saved in the EEPROM I'd be very grateful. I use an Ultimaker 2+ at work and I'd love to have a similar bed leveling system to that where each point is manually changed by the user.

I've also been looking into putting a glass plate down on top of the heated aluminum bed which would require the manual leveling I'm looking into here as well since the inductive sensor wouldn't work.

Thanks
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Manual Mesh Bed Leveling (3DP-12)

Post by Roberts_Clif »

PrintNEU wrote:So I've upgraded to Chip's Marlin firmware and it is working great. While its been printing well, I've noticed my aluminum bed is beginning to warp causing larger prints I'm doing to fail regularly. I activated the auto leveling feature in Marlin but because (I think) the SN-04 sensor is so far from the nozzle the printer gets a skewed sense of the bed's contours causing the middle of the bed to be too far from the nozzle and the edges to be too close

With all that I think I want to move away from the autolevel feature and try the manual Mesh leveling that's included in the Marlin version Chip released (under the Prepare menu). I have a few questions about it, starting with saving the data from it. Each time I've used it as soon as I start a print sequence I feel like the data from the manual leveling is over written or ignored because it seems to only go off the single level sequence done just before the print in the forward left corner. Is there something I have to change in the firmware to activate it? Or is it working correctly and I'm just crazy...

If anyone could help me resolve this and maybe have it set up so that mesh is saved in the EEPROM I'd be very grateful. I use an Ultimaker 2+ at work and I'd love to have a similar bed leveling system to that where each point is manually changed by the user.

I've also been looking into putting a glass plate down on top of the heated aluminum bed which would require the manual leveling I'm looking into here as well since the inductive sensor wouldn't work.

Thanks
Review My Post viewtopic.php?f=53&t=535&p=9144#p9144

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”