Hic 3DP-08 Marlin 1.1.0 RC8

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
Chaco
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HyperCube & Hictop Prusa i3 3DP-08

Hic 3DP-08 Marlin 1.1.0 RC8

Post by Chaco »

Since a few of you asked, Im sharing my good working RC8 Marlin firmware for my Hic 3DP-08

I am NOT as good at this firmware stuff as others may be. I only have 4-5 months of experience dealing with this. But at least i can attest that it works fine for my setup.

About hardware for this firmware settings.
Nema17 belt driven X and Y axis. (200 step motors, 16 micro step drivers)
Leadscrew driven Z axis. These are the Hic 8mm leadscrews with 4 starts and 2mm pitch. The OVERALL pitch is 8mm Z travel per revolution
E3Dv6 hot end with Bowden setup
Bowden is Nema17 with mk7 drive gear with a bearing against it.
Ramps 1.3 Red board (stock from Hic)
Stock Heated bed using the 100k temp sensor
Extruder heater element and heater sensor are the ones from E3D
Induction sensor is stock from Hic. The Omkon SN04-N. This is 30mm away from my hot end on the X axis. Z and Y are 0mm away.
LCD is the 20x4 character base
4x4 auto bed level probing

NOTES!
- Not responsible if you missed to make a critical change for YOUR setup and end up causing damage. Crashing nozzle into the bed for example. This firmware works for my setup, and just sharing it as a guide for others to build their version.
- Chip did a great job on his RC6 when it came to labels, and comment many of things changed, from previous to current numbers, and why. I did not do this since i edited this directly from source and didnt wanted to spend as much time adding comments.

Hope this helps and can get you guys going. Please feel free to add some feedback if i did something wrong, or can make something better.
Thanks folks.
Attachments
IMG_20161209_165911.jpg
Marlin_RC8_mk1.rar
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 571 times
blc
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP-11

Re: Hic 3DP-08 Marlin 1.1.0 RC8

Post by blc »

Good to see that someone else is using RC8. I was planning to upgrade to RC8 today as I have a new 128x64 graphic LCD on the way and I want to try mesh bed leveling - if I'm going to muck around with that stuff then I might as well go to the latest firmware. I'll probably configure it from scratch so I can add comments as I go, but it'll be useful to be able to compare to the setup of another HicTop owner.
doodady
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Prusa

Post by doodady »

Up and running 1.1.0 RC8

Was a pain to get some of the features working due to me knowing almost nothing about Arduino prior to this printer.

So-far it has been fun but sure eating a lot of my spare time!!! :!:
Chaco
Reactions:

Post by Chaco »

I know it... i got a 12864LCD installed and it took me 90 minutes to figure out how to make it work....
I didnt know anything prior to my printer either, but i am a good self thought learner... and yes the 90 minutes was not around enabling the right comment... it was about making sure i disabled on configuration.h the "show bootscreen" that i had on my 2004LCD....

so far so good.... only thing i need to learn more is about accelerations... still confuses me that certain areas of the configuration uses mm/s and some uses mm/s^2....
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Using Marlin-RC8BF-HICi3 downloaded on this site, Experiencing a little trouble when I use AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR

#define ABL_GRID_MAX_POINTS_X 5
#define ABL_GRID_MAX_POINTS_Y 6

#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 10
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 215
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 25
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 245

As the test approaches the rear the nozzle crashes into the bed.

I tried disabling this line
//#define ENABLE_LEVELING_FADE_HEIGHT
What can I do to prevent this
bctayloruk
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop I3

Post by bctayloruk »

Roberts_Clif wrote:Using Marlin-RC8BF-HICi3 downloaded on this site, Experiencing a little trouble when I use AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR

#define ABL_GRID_MAX_POINTS_X 5
#define ABL_GRID_MAX_POINTS_Y 6

#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 10
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 215
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 25
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 245

As the test approaches the rear the nozzle crashes into the bed.

I tried disabling this line
//#define ENABLE_LEVELING_FADE_HEIGHT
What can I do to prevent this
Hi Robert - to fix this reduce the size of the print area (or calibrate the Y on the distance from extruder to sensor)

// Set the boundaries for probing (where the probe can reach).
#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 30
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 200
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 20
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 200

Hope that helps
Brad
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Marlin-RC8BF-HICi3 Software
Should have stated I have a Hictop Aluminum 3DP11 and use the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER Click Display to Level the Bed.

The Bed size is 270 X 220mm And my Sensor does not leave the Bed Area at any time.
It Appeared to get lower on every pass line across the X axis

the Sensor is located 25mm directly behind the nozzle.

Without changing anything I wanted to see if the nozzle was lowering using the LCD display Axis locations,
tested this morning could not duplicated. May have had some Corrupt data after Flashing????

Documents say
"Unless you know you have a very flat bed, you should always use AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR."

found this "Currently, Marlin doesn’t save the bed leveling results to EEPROM"

Please walk me thru How to Level the Bed and Print with the leveled bed results from the LCD display.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

I have G29 in my start.gcode just after finding X0 Y0, and Z0 lines. This is what Hictop recommended for their autolevel sensor, and it will cycle through the AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR before each print, but it does keep the data while printing. May keep it until the printer is reset. Not sure.

I haven't tried enabling save in my firmware builds yet. Too impatient to get printing. Now I want to get another one (likely the 3DP-11 and save $100), so I have one to run, and one to mod.

Wife disagrees with my assessment. I'm going to miss her.

Maybe.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote:I have G29 in my start.gcode just after finding X0 Y0, and Z0 lines. This is what Hictop recommended for their autolevel sensor, and it will cycle through the AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR before each print, but it does keep the data while printing. May keep it until the printer is reset. Not sure.

I haven't tried enabling save in my firmware builds yet. Too impatient to get printing. Now I want to get another one (likely the 3DP-11 and save $100), so I have one to run, and one to mod.

Maybe.

Same Here!!!

Works!!

Did not know I could change Cura's Start up G-Code settings like that!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Was told there are no dumb questions only questions not asked.

I have a question about auto Bed Leveling.

Let's say you dropped a rock into a pond and got a series of waves, and this series of waves is the warp of the bed.
and hypothetically the sensor could pick up this wave and the 3D Printer could print it?

Does this mean that the Printer is going to continue to print on this wave to the Top of the Object,,here I can view the wave.
or does it merely fade into the object after a couple of layers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

GrueMaster wrote:

Ha Ha ha! Made my day! :lol:
Chaco
Reactions:

Post by Chaco »

FYI
i got Marlin 1.1.1 for the Hictop also working great
in case anyone needs it... same settings as above's RC8... just moved over to latest 1.1.1
hcbrenner
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-12

Post by hcbrenner »

I bought my 3DP-12 about a month ago and have really enjoyed the process of building and testing the printer. Print quality was great with the factory standard nozzle/extruder configuration and firmware. No issues across a wide variety of geometries and print settings. However, I could not resist the urge to "improve". I upgraded to the E3D hot end, Bowden extruder and Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 firmware. I have implemented my PID auto-tune results and made a small adjustment for the new feed rate of my extruder. Initially my prints looked good, but I noticed that after the first few centimeters of good quality build height I started to have very consistent under extrusion. I have run the same print 3 time and very consistently I see the under extrusion as the part surface area starts to reduce. This is occurring about 45 minutes into the print. Wondering if there are some unexpected consequences of my hardware and firmware changes. Has anyone experienced this or a similar problem?
hcbrenner
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-12

Post by hcbrenner »

Duh! After carefully watching my print go wrong for the 3rd time I noticed the very pronounced retraction that was occurring in the suspect area of the print. I read my E3D specs a bit more closely and noticed that the new hot end should be limited to 2mm (for Bowden configuration). I had the Cura setting turned up to 6mm for my stock Hictop direct drive hot end. Reducing to 2mm solved the problem!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Was thinking about upgrading my Hictops to E3D specs, could you upload your Configuration.h file, with any other information that may be useful.

Please

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”