Uploading/flashing Marlin to your Hic i3 (or other)

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
dragsterbox
Reactions:

Re: Uploading/flashing Marlin to your Hic i3 (or other)

Post by dragsterbox »

rokhdrone1uk wrote:Hey Chip, so i have been trying to use your firmware but im having a few issues.

Yes these are mine and not your firmware, thanks it is amazing but my LCD has stopped working and also im getting a Heater_ID:Bed error

You have any ideas.

Im using a stock 3DP12 Hic i3.

Hope your able to help.

My printer has been printing great, but I have just fitted the Infill3D extrudter gearing and the E3D V6 hot end.

Thanks and Best Regards

Stu
Hi rokhdrone1uk,

Do you have pictures of your upgrade ? I ordered the E3D V6 hot end and we like to see how it looks like.

BTW, did you fix your issue with the firmware ?
rokhdrone1uk
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop i3 3DP12

Post by rokhdrone1uk »

dragsterbox wrote:
rokhdrone1uk wrote:Hey Chip, so i have been trying to use your firmware but im having a few issues.

Yes these are mine and not your firmware, thanks it is amazing but my LCD has stopped working and also im getting a Heater_ID:Bed error

You have any ideas.

Im using a stock 3DP12 Hic i3.

Hope your able to help.

My printer has been printing great, but I have just fitted the Infill3D extrudter gearing and the E3D V6 hot end.

Thanks and Best Regards

Stu
Hi rokhdrone1uk,

Do you have pictures of your upgrade ? I ordered the E3D V6 hot end and we like to see how it looks like.

BTW, did you fix your issue with the firmware ?
Hi Dragster, you good?

The V6 end is amazing, i fixed the issue, lots of playing around with setting etc.

I've a tiny issue with the prints having a nurl on the layers where the printer starts.

I think that is something to do with Simplify3d though. - I used the Infill3d extruder, but also love the standard, i need to print some upgrades first though.

my upgrades can be found here - "my printed parts - V6 Hot End upgrade

Hope you like
dragsterbox
Reactions:

Post by dragsterbox »

Hi rokhdrone1uk,

Great to read that it is working now. I am waiting for mine to be delivered impatiently. I have read many articles and went to the conclusion that I will go for a dual fan system, remove the motor from the x-carriage and place it on the right vertical axe.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1764895
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:547706

Which version of the firmware are you using ? Marlin 1.1.0-RC6 ?
rokhdrone1uk
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop i3 3DP12

Post by rokhdrone1uk »

dragsterbox wrote:Hi rokhdrone1uk,

Great to read that it is working now. I am waiting for mine to be delivered impatiently. I have read many articles and went to the conclusion that I will go for a dual fan system, remove the motor from the x-carriage and place it on the right vertical axe.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1764895
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:547706

Which version of the firmware are you using ? Marlin 1.1.0-RC6 ?

Nice looks good, I'm thinking of doing the same also.

I like the Infill3d print but think might get a better results with direct feed.

Yes using the latest one from Chip.. - Currently printing a Han Solo Blaster for a Secret Santa present lol
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Post by Chip Luck »

Just download the source files as shown above, the Configuration.h file is in there.
BenKochavim
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3

Post by BenKochavim »

Hi Chip & the Crew,

Thank you very much for your support on this forum. Thanks to you, I went from knowing nothing about my HIC and how to use it to... well, knowing a little bit. I must admit, the learning curve is quite steep for me, but it's a lot of fun.

Anyways, I've tried Chip's configuration file from this page, and I ran into few issues...

- To start with, it wouldn't allow me to compile the code in Arduino 1.0.6, I was forced to use 1.6.0 or higher
- having uploaded Marlin the X, Y and Z on LCD display started flashing or alternating with question marks
- it wouldn't allow me to tune PID for the bed, "M303 E-1" would come with "no extruder found" error
- no matter how many times I would calibrate Z axis, every time I try to print something it starts few mm above the bed, even though homing function works perfect and the bed is levelled.

Has anyone came across similar problems? I'm going to try to figure it out myself, but if anyone could share some thoughts in the meantime, I would be very grateful. I'm using the aluminium 24V power supply kit with auto-level sensor.

Cheers,
Ben

==== UPDATE ====

I have managed to resolve all issues fiddling around with the configuration.h file supplied by HIC. However, I would be still interested to find out what caused the issues described above if anyone has some ideas :)
Chaco
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HyperCube & Hictop Prusa i3 3DP-08

Post by Chaco »

Hi Benko
I am no expert, as i am still newbie by all means... but i have learned a lot!!! Specially recently when i had to calibrate E steps for my new E3Dv6 hot end i upgraded, along with a bowden setup.
I have successfully calibrated now my E steps, and even changed some of the default acceleration settings to eliminate ghosting on my prints.

I had that same errors you described before, but i never really found out where i messed up. I now have a fully functioning calibrated RC6 version that i started from Chip's
I will be transferring all my current specific settings to a fresh RC7 sometime in the next week or so. Ill be happy to brain storm with ya any time and provide whatever help i can. Im sure two brains are better than one.
kamaroman68
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop 3dp-11

Post by kamaroman68 »

Chip I am new to the forum, just bought a hictop I3 3dp-11. Is there any way to contact you directly in getting this firmware updated. Downloading your file it comes up as a .rar not .ino. I have Cura and Repetier. I have the arduino ide. I don't have a configuration.h file. I thought I could use yours. Thanks again

Chris
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

kamaroman68 wrote:Chip I am new to the forum, just bought a hictop I3 3dp-11. Is there any way to contact you directly in getting this firmware updated. Downloading your file it comes up as a .rar not .ino. I have Cura and Repetier. I have the arduino ide. I don't have a configuration.h file. I thought I could use yours. Thanks again

Chris
You have to extract the .rar file using a program, then you will see the files.

---
kamaroman68
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop 3dp-11

Post by kamaroman68 »

Hey Chip,
So I used winzip to extract the files. Now I have a folder full of files. Do I use the configuration.h file and use the arduino software to load it into the board?

When trying to use Cura to install custom firmware it is looking for a hex file. I don't have any hex files?
Thanks for your help!
Chris
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

kamaroman68 wrote:Hey Chip,
So I used winzip to extract the files. Now I have a folder full of files. Do I use the configuration.h file and use the arduino software to load it into the board?

When trying to use Cura to install custom firmware it is looking for a hex file. I don't have any hex files?
Thanks for your help!
Chris
As Bones would say "For God's sake, you need to look this stuff Jim!" at : http://3dprintingforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=300
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

We've made this thread a sticky since it should really be the first step, as well as Chip's above link

We keep seeing the same question asked over and over. To keep Chip sane and keep what hair he has left...please review this thread before creating a new one
Warmaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Auto Level Prusa I3 Reprap mk8

Post by Warmaster »

Hey
I bought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HICTOP-Auto-L ... 1913024926
sorry for horrible link

So I guess it is 3dp-11 with autolevel sensor for Z-axis.
Few problems. First there is not save option on LCD and guess what? the seller does not answer me nor does hictop. I have adjusted the autolevel sensor sn04-n many times but since I dont have a good guide I have tried and error. I cannot chance the Z axis offset because there is not save function so I guess they just have this old board lying around and did not upgrade it to support all features.

Ok tonight after like week of losing my nerves on this infernal machine, it decides to print me a tiny robot(yay!) but guess what happened when I tried again?
It tried to pierce the bed and draw lines on it until I pulled a plug. I'm starting to think that the autolevel sensor is useless. I am not sure but doesn't it run on 5v on this machine? and on sensor 6v is lowest operating voltage. that might make the sensor read wrong from time to time, dont you think?
Also I thought maybe the aluminium warm bed might change shape and sensor goes wild or something but that is quite a big no I think. 50celsius aluminium should not expand that lot in thickness?

So question really is, can I use this guide to upgrade the firmware and does that 24v version make some difference?
Machine is quite ok built. I have checked everything twice or more times.

I list questions here for easier answer.
1) can I use the newest marlin or Chip luck version on mine?
2) Should I throw the autolevel sensor out of window and just use end-stop?
2.5) or does anyone else have advice for that sensor sn04-n. How lot does it actually get voltage? I could not measure cus I was not sure how.
3) any good first calibration guide for this machine? I have used a paper to roughly adjust the bed so theres tiny friction between nozzle and paper.
4) please tell if something should be upgraded instantly or suggestions so I would not waste more time trying to make this work with not proper parts.
5)is glass a good idea to put over that aluminium bed? (well not using that before I fix the autolevel or stop)
6)if I remember correct, you cannot get the original rom from the board to computer? I mean "download" I have played with arduinos but now my memory tricks me.

if any kind soul could answer soonish at least. Im going to sleep now and will be back in about 16hours and would love to get some info what to do.
Thank you in advance!
ckoerner
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Prusa i3

Post by ckoerner »

BenKochavim wrote: - no matter how many times I would calibrate Z axis, every time I try to print something it starts few mm above the bed, even though homing function works perfect and the bed is levelled.

Has anyone came across similar problems? I'm going to try to figure it out myself, but if anyone could share some thoughts in the meantime, I would be very grateful. I'm using the aluminium 24V power supply kit with auto-level sensor.

Cheers,
Ben

==== UPDATE ====

I have managed to resolve all issues fiddling around with the configuration.h file supplied by HIC. However, I would be still interested to find out what caused the issues described above if anyone has some ideas :)
Ben (or anyone else) I experienced some of the same issues as you. The most vexing is calibrating the Z axis. I auto home, disable steppers, and adjust the leveling thumbscrews on all four corners. Once it goest to print the z axis is always a little too high. I've scoured the configuration.h file, but I'm not sure where I should be looking to fix this behavior.

Over all I am very thankful for Chip's contributions and appreciate sharing his tweaks. I'm so close! :)
Fatty
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-12

Post by Fatty »

==== UPDATE ====

Hi Ben can I ask you what changes you made to the configuration.h to resolve the issue. I seem to be having the same problem.
Thanks a lot.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”