Uploading/flashing Marlin to your Hic i3 (or other)

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Uploading/flashing Marlin to your Hic i3 (or other)

Post by Chip Luck »

[edited 11.12.16 : Changed link below to proper location for firmware for downloading Marlin - RC6]
[edited 03.20.17 : Corrected improper original IDE version I used to compile - RC6]

The question comes up a lot "how do I..." update my firmware?

First you need to read how to update your firmware and have all your research done prior to you properly and safely re-compile Marlin source code and upload firmware to (or 'flash') your printer. Remember if you are not sure what you are doing, you probably should not be doing it in the first place. However, you can perform your research on the bit and you will soon grasp just how all this works, it's fairly simple actually once you do it a few times. And you still *should* always not just start printing post a firmware update, but perform calibration checks on your printer with known test object any time you update software; re-edit <Configuration.h> if needed, etc. Trust me, you will save filament and time.

Read here first about Marlin on the Reprap.org Wiki, corrections and addition by myself is shown bellow:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Marlin

To re-state and prepare as mentioned in the above link (IMPORTANT: please note proper arduino IDE version now needed for Marlin 1.1.0-RC6), here I edited and commented on the original steps in the link above for some clarification:

1. Back up any Marlin source code or binary you may have if any. If you do not have it, there is no way to save your current printer firmware once you upload a new version. No you cannot download the firmware FROM your printer to save it, at least I have not heard how you can. You will not need it anyway, the newer Marlin has much more functionality built in.

2. Download a host program, I use Repetier Host for all my needs and even as a run time printing/monitor.

3. Download and Install the arduino software IDE/tool set, currently as when this particular source code was compiled, I used the version [edit] 1.6.8 from http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software. NOTE: The proper version of the IDE is required to compile the source code. Things have changed after this original post, so check the requirements if your not compiling this particular version or a newer shared or uploaded version of any source code posted here in this forum.
Set up the IDE according to the instructions in the above link, i.e.:
- Start the Arduino IDE
- Select Tools -> Board: -> Arduino Genuine Mega 2560 for current HIC i3's RAMPS 1.3/1.4 (or whatever your micro-controller is)
- Select Tools -> Processor: -> AT_mega2560 (Mega 2560) [CL]
- Select the correct serial port in Tools -> Serial Port, usually there is only one option
- Exit the IDE

4. Download the Marlin source code and extract it into a directory of your choice, I use naming such as "../Marlin-1-1.0-RC6/" or what ever named version you are using.
- For a HIC i3, you can start with my current tested version as it comes with a <Configuration.h> file already per-configured for my/our printer. You can find the latest version I'm personally running here under this thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=298
- You SHOULD follow the advise in the above link to insure the <Configuration.h> file is 100% correct for your particular HICTOP printer though, in particular the extruder (thermistor) type, z-axis lead screws (e-steps), LCD display (default 4x20), configure and enable auto-bed leveling, etc. and edit and save it. This configuration works for my stock HIC i3 from China with stock z-axis rods (non-lead screw).
- You could also use any version Marlin of your choice and then just verify the <Configuration.h> file is correct. It's up to you.

5. Go to your Marlin source directory and double click the [edit ] <Marlin.ino> file, this should open the IDE with a tabbed file listing at the top of the window. There your can navigate to <Configuration.h> and edit and save the file if needed.
- When you are done, select Sketch -> Verify/Compile. This should compile the source with no errors
- Now insure you are connected to your printer and select Sketch -> Upload. This will once again compile and this time upload it to your printer control board

6. After a successful upload, the printer should re-boot and show an updated LCD opening screen bottom line (at least using my code) the current revision of the firmware, i.e. "HICi3 1.1RC6 ready." or similar.

OK, if all goes well it now time to go print some simple test objects, you DO test print calibration objects after firmware updates first do you not?

Good luck and happy printing,

Chip
---
Last edited by Chip Luck on March 20th, 2017, 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
mpoling
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 3DP17

Re: Uploading/flashing Marlin to your Hic i3 (or other)

Post by mpoling »

I don't see any .ico file. Only an .ino file
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

mpoling wrote:I don't see any .ico file. Only an .ino file
I stand in correction [sic] it is the .INO file and has been corrected above, thanks for pointing that out.
mpoling
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 3DP17

Post by mpoling »

oh ok...lol...I was really confused, being a newbie :) Not that it takes a lot to confuse me.
guti
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 3DP-18

Post by guti »

Hey Chris,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi, I just ordered my first 3D printer (HICTOP Prusa i3 MK8) and I'm amazed by the amount of information you have shared on these forums. Going to save me a lot of time getting the printer to the state I want and to understand how it works :)

Looking forward to participate and share knowledge on the forums.

Thanks,
Guti
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Welcome, Guti
Chip has done a lot of great work!
AndrewJLLeather
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop pursa i3 autolevel

Post by AndrewJLLeather »

I'm having issues uploading the new firmware to my printer. As seen in attached I get a timeout. Image not sure why. I can control my printer in Repetier Host.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

AndrewJLLeather wrote:I'm having issues uploading the new firmware to my printer. As seen in attached I get a timeout. not sure why. I can control my printer in Repetier Host.
Looks like your USB driver for the port or configuration is incorrect(?), cannot tell from that screen shot. Also, you should have Repetier host shut down or DISCONNECTED prior to running the IDE and it's connection. What OS are you using?
AndrewJLLeather
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop pursa i3 autolevel

Post by AndrewJLLeather »

hah. I was dumb. I did have Repetier Host running, and now this time I didn't, so I finally got around to successfully uploading new firmware. All is good. Running my first print since new firmware. Thank You Chip for all you've done for the community!
niko88d
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HIC Prusa i3

Post by niko88d »

I've got an issue uploading the firmware.
avrdude gets timeouts:
gt2560_timeout_problem.png
USB-Driver:
CDM v2.12.24 WHQL Certified from here

I've already googled and it seems this issue appears pretty often on Mega2560.
Things I already tried:
- shorter usb cable
- replaced the avrdude in the current version of arduino with an older version (0022)
- tried to recompile avrdude on windows with higher timeout rates, but failed since i am missing corresponding librarys

Do you have any suggestions?
rokhdrone1uk
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop i3 3DP12

Post by rokhdrone1uk »

Hey Chip, so i have been trying to use your firmware but im having a few issues.

Yes these are mine and not your firmware, thanks it is amazing but my LCD has stopped working and also im getting a Heater_ID:Bed error

You have any ideas.

Im using a stock 3DP12 Hic i3.

Hope your able to help.

My printer has been printing great, but I have just fitted the Infill3D extrudter gearing and the E3D V6 hot end.

Thanks and Best Regards

Stu
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Not quite sure, but sounds like a hardware issue since it appears you have performed some modifications. I would re-check everything, wiring, connections, et. all. Myself and others have no issues with the current firmware. Wish I could help you further.

---
rokhdrone1uk
Reactions:

Post by rokhdrone1uk »

I received this .hex code form Hictop today, but i'm having a auto home direction issue Moving right and not left towards the micro switch..

How do i change this?
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

rokhdrone1uk wrote:I received this .hex code form Hictop today, but i'm having a auto home direction issue Moving right and not left towards the micro switch..

How do i change this?
You have to download, compile and upload firmware using source code. You cannot 'change' a already compiled .hex file if you do not have the source. I had issues with any Hictop supplied source code, that's the main reason I went down this road getting a working Marlin source of of Github.

You need to download source code, if you prefer I'm still running this here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=298
Then instructions to use the IDE to compile and upload is here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=300

You might have to edit the Configuration.h file somewhat to match you printer/hardware. Research and trial and error, change one thing at a time.
rokhdrone1uk
Reactions:

Post by rokhdrone1uk »

Hi Chip, so I have got the printer working and was hoping I could use your .config files etc.

You able to email them or share a link.

Thanks
Chip Luck wrote:
rokhdrone1uk wrote:I received this .hex code form Hictop today, but i'm having a auto home direction issue Moving right and not left towards the micro switch..

How do i change this?
You have to download, compile and upload firmware using source code. You cannot 'change' a already compiled .hex file if you do not have the source. I had issues with any Hictop supplied source code, that's the main reason I went down this road getting a working Marlin source of of Github.

You need to download source code, if you prefer I'm still running this here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=298
Then instructions to use the IDE to compile and upload is here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=300

You might have to edit the Configuration.h file somewhat to match you printer/hardware. Research and trial and error, change one thing at a time.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”