Firmware Marlin-1.1.0-RC6 - My Latest Version

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Firmware Marlin-1.1.0-RC6 - My Latest Version

Post by Chip Luck »

Have downloaded the latest Marlin source code located on Github mid last week. The files are from the latest versions from the RCBugFix source.

Appears to be working fine on my HIC i3 at the current time; have noted no further improvements nor any printing or operational issues, so I will be sticking with this source code for now. In the mean time here is a archive file of my current source code, you can read the Configuration.h file for any comments I have made from the original source. The only changes in source code structure was the new file [Version.h] that replaced [ Defaultversion.h ] in the RC5 release.
Marlin-1.1.0-RC6_Hici3-1.1.0-RC6_CL061316a.rar
Marlin-1.1.0-RC6_HICi3-1.1.0-RC6_CL061316a
(969.1 KiB) Downloaded 3067 times
As always this archive ONLY includes the source under the ../Marlin-1.1.0-RC6/Marlin/*.* directory. If you need added ../Marlin-1.1.0-RC6/ misc. files and reference, etc. then download it from Github above, install the files and directories on your ../Marlin-1.1.0-RC6 path. Those other files are NOT required to compile this source code.

All I had to do was to sort through the <configuration.h> to set proper #defines and other data to work with the HIC i3. Instead of using the Arduino IDE to edit the code, I use the Atom code editor as have come to like the GUI and it's functions (I'm an old Emacs fan) and like to look/edit/compare the <configuration.h.orig> file at the same time I am working on the new <configuration.h> file. Observed the Marlin code developers have moved the LCD expansion definitions (auto expand) and control for the type of LCD control panel defined in <configuration.h> to => <conditionals.h>. So an edit also of <conditionals.h> is in order to ensure proper LCD operation.

Current firmware updates and bug fixes:
1) Edit the Default HIC i3 Configuration Files =COMPLETED V1.1.0-RC3 : completed initial testing after re-compile for heat, end-stops, home function, temperatures, etc. appear to be working correctly.

2) SD Card was not recognized /bug =FIXED : after attempts at re-formatting the SD card, banging my head on the table (it _used_ to work, if you power on the printer with the SD card installed), finally narrowed down what was causing it not to work. After debug, you can now actually insert and remove the SD card with the power on, get the 'Card inserted' and 'Card removed' message on the LCD, and printing from the card has been without issues. THAT was a main bug to fix!

3) EEPROM writing has been enabled /improvement=FIXED : The factory version did not have the option and you could not even write to the EEPROM form a host program over USB. Once you have your default parameters set, you can now store your data to the EEPROM using the host program or menu selection using the LCD control panel. This saves a lot of time as you can now power off the printer and next time you power it up, you no longer have to go edit all the default all over again. You do however still have the option of loading 'fail-safe' or factory options from the LCD panel.

4) Default Parameters Stored /improvement =COMPLETED : Have set some default accelerations and feed rates to a more acceptable level for the HIC i3. You can of course change these to match your own printer hardware capabilities.

5) LCD Rotary Control /improvement =COMPLETED : the control on the LCD panel was was too sensitive, it was hard to set proper values as on click would up increment/decrement the selected parameter around 4 units. That has been fixed. It may take some more knob rotations to get to a value such as moving an axis, but worth it.

6) Main menu /improvement =COMPLETED : on boot the LCD screen will show a Marlin splash screen and then a current firmware version screen prior to the main screen menu. Main screen menu now reads "HICi3 Mendel Ready.". May add firmware version there until the code is finalized.

Current firmware status:
It appears so far to be working so far with no major issues found.

If you use this source to compile and update your HICi3 printer, please let me know how it works for you.

You DO have a source code backup from your last firmware update, right? Good luck!

Chip
---
Last edited by Chip Luck on January 3rd, 2017, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Re: Firmware Marlin-1.1.0-RC6 - UPDATE

Post by Chip Luck »

UPDATE:

Have changed the default ACCELERATIONS as indicated below to cap all accelerations to 1200. Below is the code affected and also a archive version of the complete <Configuration.h> file if you want. So, either edit your <Configuration.h> file using the code segment, or just replace your file with the archive and re-compile.

Code: Select all

// Default MAXIMUM ACCELERATION (motor) X, Y, Z, E=(extrusion only) - max start speeds for accelrated moves
// NOTE: value stored in DEFAULT_ACCELERATION if lower, will limit these MAX rates
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {3000,3000,100,10000} // (mm/sec^2) Marlin default - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // (mm/sec^2) original default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1200, 1200, 100, 10000} // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
// E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

// Default misc. ACCELERATIONS
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION         500 // (mm/sec^2) default for Makerbot i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for PRINTING moves
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          1200 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for PRINTING moves, was =3000
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   1200 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (NON-PRINTING) moves, was =3000
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 E acceleration for retracts (FILAMENT purge and feed)
Updated archive of <Configuration.h> here (rest of source is un-changed): Chip
---
JoelR
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Prusa i3

Re: Firmware Marlin-1.1.0-RC6 - now running

Post by JoelR »

Chip, Thank you for your work on this and sharing your results. You seem to have asked all the questions I did not know to ask. A quick change I'd like to point out for those with the the 1.4 board and/or 8mm lead screw as opposed to threaded rod. Z-steps: start at 396 and calibrate from there.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

JoelR wrote:Chip, Thank you for your work on this and sharing your results. You seem to have asked all the questions I did not know to ask. A quick change I'd like to point out for those with the the 1.4 board and/or 8mm lead screw as opposed to threaded rod. Z-steps: start at 396 and calibrate from there.
Thanks. Since I do not yet have the lead screws (only my fellow machinist made precision threaded rods, OEM were warped junk) you guy's have figured it out. Might upgrade later on.
mblades
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP-11

Post by mblades »

Chip Luck wrote:UPDATE:

Have changed the default ACCELERATIONS as indicated below to cap all accelerations to 1200. Below is the code affected and also a archive version of the complete <Configuration.h> file if you want. So, either edit your <Configuration.h> file using the code segment, or just replace your file with the archive and re-compile.

Updated archive of <Configuration.h> here (rest of source is un-changed):
Marlin-1.1.0-RC6-ConfigFile_HICi3-1.1.0.RC6_CL061616b-ConfigFile.rar

Chip
---

Chip,
I have successfully updated my 3DP-11 using your guide and Configuration.h. The process was simple and smooth. This has improved the print quality and calmed the printer down quite a bit. Thank you for taking the time to discover and post on this forum! One question, how did you go about determining the Feedrate, Acceleration and Jerk settings?
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

mblades wrote:
Chip Luck wrote:UPDATE:

Updated archive of <Configuration.h> here (rest of source is un-changed):
Marlin-1.1.0-RC6-ConfigFile_HICi3-1.1.0.RC6_CL061616b-ConfigFile.rar

Chip
---

Chip,
I have successfully updated my 3DP-11 using your guide and Configuration.h. The process was simple and smooth. This has improved the print quality and calmed the printer down quite a bit. Thank you for taking the time to discover and post on this forum! One question, how did you go about determining the Feedrate, Acceleration and Jerk settings?
Glad it's working for you, that's good stuff. The rates were tweaked doing a lot of reading, research, trial-and-error testing, others opinions and asking questions. This 3D printing thing is an art, not for the faint of heart. Good luck with your printer endeavors, and remember CALIBRATE first, then print. Cheers.
rellik1000
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): CR7,Hic Al i3

Post by rellik1000 »

Just a quick thanks Chip
Excellent

The PID autotune values were too unstable though
Ultimaker default PID,auto bed leveling working great.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

rellik1000 wrote:Just a quick thanks Chip
Excellent

The Configuration.h file Ultimaker default PID when used on my 3DP-12 HIC i3 was very un-stable. After running auto-tune (you can see the changes in the file) mine is now rock solid. Interesting...
rellik1000
Reactions:

Post by rellik1000 »

Chip Luck wrote:
Excellent

The Configuration.h file Ultimaker default PID when used on my 3DP-12 HIC i3 was very un-stable. After running auto-tune (you can see the changes in the file) mine is now rock solid. Interesting...
Yeah,I tried autotune a few times,the values were pretty close each time,the temp would swing +/-20°,then system halt with "Thermal Runaway" error.
Using the Ultimaker default it over shoots 8-10 degrees when heating then varies less than 4 degrees,maybe 6 or 8 degrees only when the cooling fan kicks on or off.
Stabilizes target temp. much faster

BTW I did check and double check that the hotend,thermistor,heater were all assembled properly.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

rellik1000 wrote:
Chip Luck wrote:
Excellent

Yeah,I tried autotune a few times,the values were pretty close each time,the temp would swing +/-20°,then system halt with "Thermal Runaway" error.
Using the Ultimaker default it over shoots 8-10 degrees when heating then varies less than 4 degrees,maybe 6 or 8 degrees only when the cooling fan kicks on or off.
Stabilizes target temp. much faster

BTW I did check and double check that the hotend,thermistor,heater were all assembled properly.
It takes 10 to 20 minutes for the full swing of temp's to stabilize. I use repeiter host, it has a built in temp monitoring real time chart with graphical display, highly recommended to use that for PID tuning, you see exactly what is being reported back from the firmware. No to mention I use the host program to send the proper G code for to start the auto config routine in firmware, wait until done, then use the data display window to read the results sent back from the firmware.

Again, strange. My config holds within 1 degree once stabilized. I assume you ran, and re-ran the auto-temp configuration using the proper g code as shown in the Configuration.h file and then edited the returned values and re-flashed the firmware? Very interesting indeed.
rellik1000
Reactions:

Post by rellik1000 »

M303 E0 S200 C8 used to obtain auto tune values.

After a second look it does appear to vary closer to 1-2 degrees after 20 min or so using Ultimaker values.
The auto values never even make it that far and return "thermal runaway"after about 10 min or so.
30min.png
I never had to mess with the PID values with my first printer it just worked.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

rellik1000 wrote:M303 E0 S200 C8 used to obtain auto tune values.

After a second look it does appear to vary closer to 1-2 degrees after 20 min or so using Ultimaker values.
The auto values never even make it that far and return "thermal runaway"after about 10 min or so.
30min.png

I never had to mess with the PID values with my first printer it just worked.
Again, interesting as mine did what you describe temp's swinging all over the place PRIOR to running PID auto-tune, mine then calmed down afterward the configuration change. Interesting, very interesting..
mpoling
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 3DP17

Post by mpoling »

Chip, I uploaded your firmware and everything seems to be running fine, but when the bed begins to heat, it gets near to 220 and stops, saying "Heating Failed". Any ideas?
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

mpoling wrote:Chip, I uploaded your firmware and everything seems to be running fine, but when the bed begins to heat, it gets near to 220 and stops, saying "Heating Failed". Any ideas?
Not sure, bed goes to 220(!) then there is something wrong in your hardware or pin configuration is my guess. If you look at the configuration.h file, temp's are capped at a certain value. Never heard of that issue. Try the Reprap forums.
mpoling
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 3DP17

Post by mpoling »

Sorry, my bad. I meant the extruder. I think it is a hardware failure, likely the sensor, as it is intermittent.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”