HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): FFCP, HICTOP i3

Re: HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Post by shocksofmighty »

I recently just added heat-resistant cotton around my hotend. This makes quite a large difference. The stock cooling system isn't really all that well designed, and a large amount of air goes right over the hotend, instead of toward the bed.

Another option, just turn the fan on at layer 0, which is generally what I do using Simplify3D. It takes slightly longer to heat up, but there is no hysteresis since the hotend hits temperature before beginning extrusion.
ric0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17

Post by ric0 »

shocksofmighty wrote:No such issues, but most likely related to your heated bed since that seems likely to be the difference between the two protocols. It is possible that it is a different thermistor type on your heated bed. Check the values from the original firmware and see if you might need to change that.
Hi shocksofmighty, been a while getting back to you on this, it appears that maybe you have two extruders? I noticed in the configuration.h file #defines for an additional extruder?, commenting them out resolved the problem for me without touching the #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_PERIOD etc. Looks like it was getting zero temperature info from the second extruder / thermistor as I don't have one.

Recompiled and now printing successfully with PLA again ie: with heated bed and no thermal rumaways so far. Tested with a 4 hour print. It was hitting thermal runaway error after 2% of a print before when using a heated bed, that's about 5mins in on the simple test prints, everytime.

Thanks again.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

Nope. I only have one extruder, and there is only one listed in the Config.h:

Code: Select all

#define EXTRUDERS 1
ric0
Reactions:

Post by ric0 »

Ah Ok, didn't have the firmware open to check. Looking at the firmware now the lines I hashed out were under Thermal Settings in Configuration.h where reference to a 4th sensor were mentioned.

//PJP - These values are taken from the 3DP12 firmware available online
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 3
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_3 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 3
I hashed out the TEMP_SENSOR_3 0 as it wasn't in the Hictop firmware 398 and further references to it following that. Recompiled and it solved the Thermal Runaways.

**UPDATE** Not fixed, having problems with Thermal Runaways again printing PLA, but now think it's Cura profile settings, as the Hictop Test.gcode shamrock file that came with the printer originally printed fine, but no others exported from Cura. But will try recompiling with shocksofmighty code tweak.

#define THERMAL_PROTECTION_PERIOD 40        // Seconds
  #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_HYSTERESIS 10
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Another thing I discovered last night is that if you are doing PLA at temperatures above 210, you have to turn down the cooling fan as well. Once the fan kicks in (usually around the third layer), it can drop the extruder temp by +10 degrees, and it will take almost 10mm to recover to 210. I never got it to go above 210 with the fan on.

Changing the THERMAL_PROTECTION lines in the Configuration_adv.h is the right thing to do, but if you still run into problems, you may have to just disable THERMAL_PROTECTION (Hictop had it disabled originally and the sensor in their hot end is fairly secure - at least on mine).
ric0
Reactions:

Post by ric0 »

Would reworking and printing a new cooling fan shroud to direct fan output more to the bed be a solution as shocksofmighty points out above.
I recently just added heat-resistant cotton around my hotend. This makes quite a large difference. The stock cooling system isn't really all that well designed, and a large amount of air goes right over the hotend, instead of toward the bed.
Or is dropping the fan speed a few layers up a better option, as well as tweaking THERMAL_PROTECTION_HYSTERESIS to 10.

**UPDATE** Recompiled and tested, now working with no Thermal Runaways. Thanks again for the help.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

GrueMaster wrote:Another thing I discovered last night is that if you are doing PLA at temperatures above 210, you have to turn down the cooling fan as well. Once the fan kicks in (usually around the third layer), it can drop the extruder temp by +10 degrees, and it will take almost 10mm to recover to 210. I never got it to go above 210 with the fan on.
The other solution is to turn the fan on immediately (layer 0). It takes slightly longer of the hotend to warm up, but then there is no hysteresis. I haven't noticed any issues with adhesion (printing on glass).
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

A lot of that can vary based on the part cooling fan duct...so many types on Thingiverse.

I know the Prusa i3 Mk2 has had some tweaks for thermal runaway and reducing the flow from the blower fan.

If you have a E3D v6 (or clone), you can also use those insulating silicone socks.

I had to tweak my Ultimaker Original fan speed a lot since I went from a single fan to dual....and the fans moved a LOT more air than the stock. For example, the new setup....15% fan equals what 100% was with stock!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have successfully compiled shockofmighty version of Hic firmware Marlin-RC8BF-HICi3.
Question to see if I understand the firmware.

Line 268 and 310 of configuration_store.cpp, if I understand Microsoft's description c_assert is a test for assertions at compile time.
So the errors during compiling in these lines I can either ignore or delete the lines. I chose to delete the lines is this a correct assumption on my part.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on March 26th, 2017, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hello;

I have a Hictop 3DP11 that has been thru a lot of changes in the 6 months of ownership.

Saw some were having cooling problems, where the fan cools the hotend.
I have modified a fan duct that you may find a workable solution it includes a duct to add cooling to the throat.
I have added a half round aluminum throat cooler cut in half "see Image for full size, then cut this in half" making 2 - 2 fin coolers.

Throat Coller
Throat Coller
Image1.jpg (2.8 KiB) Viewed 20327 times
Attachments
hic_new_duct.stl
Hictop 3DP11 Fan Duct
(187.97 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

Roberts_Clif wrote:I have successfully compiled shockofmighty version of Hic firmware Marlin-RC8BF-HICi3.
Question to see if I understand the firmware.

Line 268 and 310 of configuration_store.cpp, if I understand Microsoft's description c_assert is a test for assertions at compile time.
So the errors during compiling in these lines I can either ignore or delete the lines. I chose to delete the lines is this a correct assumption on my part.
Never ran into these issues. I've been compiling with arduino-1.8.0.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Attached is a Print screen, Compiled with arduino-1.8.1.

If locally defined but not used can I delete line
Print-Screen
Print-Screen
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

Roberts_Clif wrote:Attached is a Print screen, Compiled with arduino-1.8.1.

Error.jpg

Just tried with 1.8.2 and did not see this error. Must by OS specific (I'm using linux).
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Roberts_Clif wrote:Attached is a Print screen, Compiled with arduino-1.8.1.

Error.jpg

Today I decided to completely Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, added Arduino-1.8.1.

Copied my Marlin files unto Ubuntu and began to test could not duplicate problem.
Loaded a unmodified Marlin reconfigured with my settings could not duplicate problem.

Went back to original files with errors could not duplicate problem ??????????????????????

Thank you for the help shocksofmighty

Could not make FIlament_runout_Sensor work on any of the pins suggested, Hooked it up to unused X_Max_Pin 2.

Wanted to show Heat shield mod to my Controller board see image below.
Img_1681.jpg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

shocksofmighty wrote: February 23rd, 2017, 9:40 pm I've successfully gotten 1.1.0-RC8BF working with autolevel with bilinear mode on my 3DP-11-AL (which is really a 3DP12). You can find it here.
As of today I have compiled and flashed every version of marlin 1.1.X

Setup and Complied Marlin 1.1.0 displays works perfect. Still using trying to upgrade to Marlin 1.1.5 for Hictop 3DP11/12 AL
Setup and Complied Marlin 1.1.1 displays " Endstops Z " error only.
Setup and Complied Marlin 1.1.2 - 1.1.5 displays " Endstops Z " error and a M500 " CRC memory error -8370 :"
// Crazy error actually Marlin 1.1.2 is using 64 bytes less memory than Marlin 1.1.1
// forgot to mention both display in pronterface " echo: endstop hit : Z0.50 "

Setup and Complied Marlin 1.1.4 & 1.1.5 displays " Endstops Z " or sometimes " G28 Z Forbidden " error and a M500 " CRC memory error :"
// Crazy error actually Marlin 1.1.2 is using 64bytes less memory than Marlin 1.1.1
// forgot to mention both display in pronterface " echo:endstop hit: Z0.50 "

Been searching code making changes for Marlin 1.1.X to determine affected lines to correct the displayed " Endstops Z " and memory CRC error."

Now take into consideration that I have 4 Controllers two " MPX .3 " and two " Base V1.3 " working perfect with Marlin-RC8BF-HICi3.zip.

All function on Marlin 1.1.1 - Marlin 1.1.5 only with the errors " Endstops Z " or sometimes " G28 Z Forbidden " error and a M500 " CRC memory error" can even complete a " 5 X 5 = 25 point " Bi-Linear bed level then Print using G29 from Slicer in startup .

All functions work perfectly only displaying " Endstops Z " or sometimes " G28 Z Forbidden " thou still Prints a perfect 3D Model.
M500 " CRC memory errors ???? " are scary because don't know what the 3D Printer will do with CRC Errors.

Asking for Help - What can I do to fix this.
Attachments
Marlin-1.1.5.zip
(4.71 MiB) Downloaded 496 times

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”