HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
blc
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP-11

Re: HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Post by blc »

I wish I'd known about the firmware backup before now. I don't know that much about firmware settings, but I know that this isn't right (click for larger):

That's supposed to be a 20mm cube, before I aborted the print. I get the same results in both Cura and Slic3r, and it's pretty much the same on both RC4 and RC5.

It seems to extrude just fine, so I don't think I've got a blockage. Any idea where I should start with this?
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

I think the steps per mm on the z axis are wrong. Nothing a M92 can't fix.
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Post by Chip Luck »

Dim3nsioneer wrote:I think the steps per mm on the z axis are wrong. Nothing a M92 can't fix.
Agreed, extrusion looks OK it has to be the Z-steps. Paste your configuration file EEPROM settings. Here is mine, however I have stock 8mm x 1.25mm stainless (straight) z-axis threaded rods.

Code: Select all

/ Default AXIS STEPS, MAX_FEEDRATE, ACCLERATION settings

// Default AXIS STEP Settings (motor steps) X, Y, Z, E
// 1a) default axis steps per unit for Ultimaker steps/mm ={8.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}
// 1b) default axis steps per unit for HIC i3 steps/mm ={80,80,2560,94.4962144}, OEM z-axis threaded rods =8mm wide x 1.25mm pitch
//#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,94.4962144} // original default for HIC i3, (steps/mm)
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2559,98.6} // CL: default steps for _my_ HIC i3, you may need to change the Z and/or E for your machine

// Default MAXIMUM FEEDRATES (motor speeds) X, Y, Z, E - GLOBAL for printing and non-printing

//#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {200,200,5,17} // (mm/sec) default for Makerbot i3
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500,500,5,25} // (mm/sec) default for HIC i3
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {120,120,3,25} // (mm/sec) CL: default for _my_ HIC i3 max feedrate rated at ~120mm/sec

// Default MAXIMUM ACCELERATION (motor) X, Y, Z, E (extrusion only) - max start speeds for accelrated moves
// NOTE: value stored in DEFAULT_ACCELERATION if lower, will limit these MAX rates
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // (mm/sec^2) default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1200,1200,50,10000} // (mm/sec^2) CL: for _my_ HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
// E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

// Default misc. ACCELERATIONS
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 500 // (mm/sec^2) default for Makerbot i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // (mm/sec^2) default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          1200 // (mm/sec^2 ) CL: for _my_ HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000 // (mm/sec^2) E acceleration for retracts (fliament purge and feed)
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   1200 // (mm/sec^2) X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non-printing) moves

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
// default jerk values for HIC i3 ={20.0, 0.4, 5.0} (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK                2.0 // CL: For HIC i3, was =20, (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK                 0.4  // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK                 5.0  // (mm/sec)
Chip

---
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Here is my latest Configuration.h and Default_Version.h (for revision refernce) as of this morning and a picture of my farm of calibration objects. There are boxes of them laying around. Also, finally can just slice and print, no more fiddling with settings... just load and go.

Configuration.h:
Marlin-1.1.0-RC5_HICi3-1.1..0-RC5_CL042316_X1.zip
(16.73 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
Slic3r and Cura settings worksheet: Also, the HICi3 should be globally set in your slicer to limit the following maximum feed and print rates, at least until it is broke in:
- print rate = max 40mm/sec
- non-printing moves = 80mm/sec to maximum of 120mm/sec

Latest calibration object farm and mine printing the 20mm-box from the Essential Calibration set:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5573

0422161612a_2048.jpg
Your on the right track, good luck!

Chip

---
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

blc wrote:I wish I'd known about the firmware backup before now. I don't know that much about firmware settings, but I know that this isn't right

That's supposed to be a 20mm cube, before I aborted the print. I get the same results in both Cura and Slic3r, and it's pretty much the same on both RC4 and RC5.

It seems to extrude just fine, so I don't think I've got a blockage. Any idea where I should start with this?
I found out that you can extract the default EEPROM values using Repetier Host program and having it load the EEPROM data so you can record it pror to re-flashing the board. I _think_ it works with EEPROM not enabled.

Source code/firmware version *should* not cause that, as mentioned definitely looks like z-steps in your Configuration.h file. What kind of z-axis screws are you using? Do you have 8mm x 1.25m pitch z-axis rods or lead screws? On-line calculators are available, I just don't have them at the time.

Again, extrusion looks like it's working, however have you calibrated yet?:
http://richrap.blogspot.ch/2012/01/slic ... s-and.html
also:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter's ... tion_Guide

And check out the latest Configuration.h file in this thread.

Don't forget to write your values to EEPROM when you get done.

Chip

---
NotMe999
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3 with Auto-leveling

Post by NotMe999 »

Chip,

Thanks for the firmware. With your settings and a couple changes for my machine (like z-axis, 398 works fine on mine), it's printing out nice objects now. My only problem is some stinging across open spaces (much less than before the new firmware). I think I have it down to hot end temp or e-steps. Just gotta have the time to nail it down now.

NotMe999
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

NotMe999 wrote:Chip,

Thanks for the firmware. With your settings and a couple changes for my machine (like z-axis, 398 works fine on mine), it's printing out nice objects now. My only problem is some stinging across open spaces (much less than before the new firmware). I think I have it down to hot end temp or e-steps. Just gotta have the time to nail it down now.

NotMe999
You are more than welcome and very glad that a fellow HICi3 user is doing better!

The 'firmware' itself really is not it the issue as it only performs functions, as you are probably aware it's all in the Configuration.h file that does all the work for the printer. Actually the default DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE is one of the most important, HICTOP factory defaults were way too fast. Just remember the DEFAULT_ACCELERATION overrides the DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE settings. Then, with the firmware default, the setting in your slicer program will have a BIG impact on print quality. As you are aware, firmware only set's the printer's default MAX and other settings. The slicer program setup determines just HOW you want to control it, set that up and you have total control over your print settings and quality.

In the spreadsheet you might have that I shared, the most important thing with this or any printer is not to print too fast. As you might have seen, I default at 40mm/sec print speed and 120mm/sec (even seen 80mm/sec recommended) non-printing/travel speed. Accelerations will be next.

The bridge stringing issue was really bad with the HICTOP supplied firmware and suggested slicer settings. Again, read the Reprap Wiki's, etc. It is all interrelated to speed, extrusion rates, etc. After I SLOWED the darn thing down, a lot improved including bridges. Make sure you have internal perimeters printing first (default in Slic3r) and not the exterior on a sloped or angled object (thanks to the folks here).

That your prints have improved, it sure make this all worth while. Good luck and let us know just how you are doing.

Cheers,

Chip

---
blc
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP-11

Post by blc »

Chip Luck wrote:
Dim3nsioneer wrote:I think the steps per mm on the z axis are wrong. Nothing a M92 can't fix.
Agreed, extrusion looks OK it has to be the Z-steps. Paste your configuration file EEPROM settings. Here is mine, however I have stock 8mm x 1.25mm stainless (straight) z-axis threaded rods.

/ Default AXIS STEPS, MAX_FEEDRATE, ACCLERATION settings

// 1a) default axis steps per unit for Ultimaker steps/mm ={8.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}
// 1b) default axis steps per unit for HIC i3 steps/mm ={80,80,2560,94.4962144}, OEM z-axis threaded rods =8mm wide x 1.25mm pitch
//#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,94.4962144} // original default for HIC i3, (steps/mm)
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2559,98.6} // CL: default steps for _my_ HIC i3, you may need to change the Z and/or E for your machine

// Default MAXIMUM FEEDRATES (motor speeds) X, Y, Z, E - GLOBAL for printing and non-printing

//#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {200,200,5,17} // (mm/sec) default for Makerbot i3
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500,500,5,25} // (mm/sec) default for HIC i3
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {120,120,3,25} // (mm/sec) CL: default for _my_ HIC i3 max feedrate rated at ~120mm/sec

// Default MAXIMUM ACCELERATION (motor) X, Y, Z, E (extrusion only) - max start speeds for accelrated moves
// NOTE: value stored in DEFAULT_ACCELERATION if lower, will limit these MAX rates
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // (mm/sec^2) default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1200,1200,50,10000} // (mm/sec^2) CL: for _my_ HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
// E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

// Default misc. ACCELERATIONS
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 500 // (mm/sec^2) default for Makerbot i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // (mm/sec^2) default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          1200 // (mm/sec^2 ) CL: for _my_ HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000 // (mm/sec^2) E acceleration for retracts (fliament purge and feed)
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   1200 // (mm/sec^2) X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non-printing) moves

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
// default jerk values for HIC i3 ={20.0, 0.4, 5.0} (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK                2.0 // CL: For HIC i3, was =20, (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK                 0.4  // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK                 5.0  // (mm/sec)
Chip

---

Apologies I haven't replied sooner...

I managed to work out that my steps per mm on the z-axis should be 400 and so far this is looking perfect. Yeah... So I need to learn how to calibrate my 3D printer... :D

When I get some time this week I'll take a look through the two links you posted, Chip.

Many thanks for all the help!
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

blc wrote: Apologies I haven't replied sooner...

I managed to work out that my steps per mm on the z-axis should be 400 and so far this is looking perfect. Yeah... So I need to learn how to calibrate my 3D printer... :D

When I get some time this week I'll take a look through the two links you posted, Chip.

Many thanks for all the help!
No problem glad to be of help. Remember, set your speeds low BEFORE calibration for now. If you do not, you will wind up starting calibration all over again, trust me:
- Feed rate X,Y (non-printing moves) max 120mm/sec
- Printing feed rate X,Y (print speed) max 60mm/sec
- Accelerations, default max to what I show in Configuration.h

Just read the calibration guide and after printing calibration objects you should see print improvement, if not re-calibrate and bore yourself printing out 20mm test cubes for a while. I scale them 200% to check bottom and top infill and print quality. Good luck.

Cheers,

Chip

---
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Latest Marlin firmware version I'm using for my HIC i3. This is currently based of official Github version of Marlin 1.1.0-RC5. Have been running it for over 2 weeks with no issues found.

A few things of note:
1 - you can enable auto bed leveling if you wish (I don't use it)
2 - make sure you verify the type of z-axis rod's your printer uses, this defaults to the original stock 8mm x 1.25mm pitch threaded rods. If you have the lead screw upgrade, change the following in the Configuration.h file to match you thread pitch, if you do not verify, you z-axis steps will be way off:

// Default AXIS STEPS, MAX_FEEDRATE, ACCELERATION settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80.28, 2559, 102} // CL: 04.29.16 v1.1.02-RC5, default steps for _my_ HIC i3, you may need to change the Z and/or E for your machine
3 - LCD controller defaults to the standard 20x4 character discount LCD controller with SD card reader. If you are using the larger LCD display, again you must configure that in the Configuration.h file.
4 - the E steps are configured for my extruder post calibration, your mileage may vary. Also, I tweaked the Y value a little post calibration. You HAVE calibrated your printer right?

Good luck.

Archive here, with source and sub-directories:
Marlin-1.1.0-RC5_HICi3-1.1.02-RC5_CL051016a.zip
(982.57 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
Chip
---
Last edited by Chip Luck on May 18th, 2016, 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

How is the firmware going folks? Let me know if it is working for you and if you find any bugs. Thanks!

Chip
---
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Some time soon will be updating firmware to use the Github version Marlin 1.1.0-RC6.
mellett
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa i3

Post by mellett »

Hey chip,

I've been using your version of the Marlin firmware since mid April and the transition from HIC's firmware was smooth as butter. Initially I did need to change my Zsteps/mm setting back down to 398; I have the new lead screws they've been shipping out, I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I have activated auto leveling and it works just fine as far as I can tell, but I keep my bed pretty level so I don't notice a whole ton of difference (I've been thinking about purposely unleveling the bed and printing something to see what happens).

Now just so you know I am a total novice at all this stuff, but I do understand the value of feedback so I'm gonna just gonna write down a couple weird little things I've noticed and you can do with it what you will.

I've been getting a few messages from Repetier Host and Printrun about baudrate settings and how they might be wrong. When I first flashed the new firmware in April, I needed to set my baudrate to 250000 on both Printrun and Repetier host to get them to communicate with the printer. Then with this latest update, I set them back to 115200 and to get them to communicate. The error messages I receive don't seem to disrupt actual printing at all, so I just roll with it.

I've noticed when trying to input higher values quickly with the scroll wheel (such as nozzle temperature values of 200+) that there is occasionally a fairly large jump in the value (10-20 C) and I'll have to scroll back down.

Those two things are all I've noticed. I hope that's helpful, or at very least interesting.

Thanks a ton for going through all that Marlin code and tweaking it for the HIC i3. I really appreciate it. I was giddy as hell when I could just save my settings and the scroll wheel was actually accurate. Everything else is just frosting on the cake. Also, the excel file you posted of your slicer settings was very helpful as well.

Thanks again,
Mason
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad the firmware is working for a fellow HIC i3 user and that is good news! Makes all the work worth it when others are getting good results.

As far as the couple of things you mentioned, yes it's been verified on my end.

Baud Rate - I also noticed the change you mentioned. I did the same thing and set both back to 115200 and it's pretty solid. Sometimes you get a 'error message' but as mentioned it does not affect prints. I'll work on that to see just what is going on and let you know.

Menu Steps - That does need some tweaking, at least it's not jumping between values = hard to set as the original settings. You can play around with that on your own by changing the values here in Configuration.h:

#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 4 // CL: HICi3 =4, was =1, Increase if you have a high resolution encoder
#define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 1 // CL: HICi3 =1, was =5, Set according to ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP or your liking
//#define REVERSE_MENU_DIRECTION // When enabled CLOCKWISE moves UP in the LCD menu
However, I do not believe the above configuration settings will fix the what I also noticed in particular the jump above about 200C on the nozzle temp setting using the rotary. The non-linear 'speed it up if rotating fast' is built into the source code. I mainly use Repetier Host to set my parameters, temps, etc. and rarely use the LCD control so it has not concerned me. Maybe play around with the above values and re-compile, I'll do the same and let you know, however I believe it will not fix the jumping issue.

I have not used Auto Bed Leveling yet (or should be called Auto Average Nozzle/Z-height) as I spend a lot of time making sure the bed is as perfect as I can get it, I have it set so my first layer is properly 'squished' by the nozzle. It took me a while to figure that one out, re-shimming the bed springs to make them tighter, etc. to get this thing to work. However not too bad now and very pleased with the results for a 'cheap China printer'.

Thanks again. I'm planning to update the firmware to the Github version 1.1.0-RC6 and see if that resolves some of the issues, though minor. Thanks again for the feedback and good luck printing.

Cheers,

Chip
---
RednKentucky
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop Migbot

Post by RednKentucky »

Chip

Did you perform the upgrade yet? I'm interested to hear how it goes. I'm having an issue with my sd card. It sees its in there. Has a file on it but cannot see the files to print them.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”