HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
chenry76
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HicTop Prusa i3

Re: HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Post by chenry76 »

Chip Luck wrote:
NotMe999 wrote: Just purchased the HICTOP Prusa i3 with Auto-leveling and I'm new to 3D Printers. I'm planning to add a dual extruder, but would like to keep the auto-leveling.
Also, to start when assembling the HIC i3 make sure you:
1) use at least 12AWG wire between your power supply and the control board (you should purchase a larger PSU, 30 amp version or will get serious voltage sag)
2) let me know if you can read your SD card with supplied firmware, good luck. Fixed in new code.
3) lower your feed-rates, defaults are too fast for this printer. Fixed in new code.
4) add a 60x60mm cooling fan to your X-axis motor, you will need that.
5) make sure *everything* mechanical and frame is square and fasteners tight to start (a square, 12" caliper, large ruler in mm's...), belts aligned and tight, etc.
6) China .pdf assembly manual is horrible, any questions let me know. If you are a logical type, you will figure it out.

Will be creating an HIC i3 assembly thread, it's a great kit if you are a engineering type or built erector sets with no instructions when you were a kid. <G>
I also replace all of my linear bearings with better quality (japan made) and it took alot of slop in the bed. Also, make sure your rods are parallel, and your X axis is perpendicular to the Y axis.
Ctx32
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop

Post by Ctx32 »

Chip,
You have a link for the Japan bearings?
I also got the firmware download.
Once I get all my parts together I'll be running on the E3d V6. I know I'll need to adjust the firmware for this head but at least now I can get further in my upgrade.
Calvin
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Post by Chip Luck »

Ctx32 wrote:Chip,
You have a link for the Japan bearings?
I also got the firmware download.
Once I get all my parts together I'll be running on the E3d V6. I know I'll need to adjust the firmware for this head but at least now I can get further in my upgrade.
Calvin
Calvin, let me look up the link as I got them off of an Ebay vendor fairly cheap. Todd also replaced his, we both had the y-axis ones fail first.

As far as a new extruder, I would assume you would want to run calibration on it to test extrusion rate and you might have to edit the Configuration.h file to new E-step value. Not sure, you will have look it up on the internet.

Code: Select all

/ Default AXIS STEPS, MAX_FEEDRATE, ACCELERATION settings

// Default AXIS STEP Settings (motor steps) X, Y, Z, E
// 1a) default axis steps per unit for Ultimaker steps/mm ={8.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}
// 1b) default axis steps per unit for HIC i3 steps/mm ={80,80,2560,94.4962144}, OEM z-axis threaded rods =8mm wide x 1.25mm pitch
//#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,94.4962144} // original default for HIC i3, (steps/mm)
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80.28, 2559, 102} // CL: 04.29.16 v1.1.02-RC5, default steps for _my_ HIC i3, you may need to change the Z and/or E for your machine
Welcome.

Chip
---
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Re: HIC i3 - current firmware development information - 1.1.0-RC6

Post by Chip Luck »

Marlin 1.1.0-RC6-Bugfix has been downloaded from Github and is now compiled and running on my HIC I3.

- 20x20mm test cube finished and no issues found

Will update as soon as further testing is completed.

Chip
---
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

Thanks for the Welcome Chip,
Yea, I figured the e-step would have to change. I'm currently waiting on parts to ship.
I do have some questions,
I looked at your code and it is allot. I tried to open the files with Arduino but it would only open the Arduino icon file.
So I downloaded note++ and was able to look at each file, one by one.
I thought Arduino would open them all with tabs?
Remember I'm new at this.
I'll need to learn how to compile it to upload to my board, I'll probly need help.
Had to change this
Reconfigure your firmware for the Semitec 104GT2 thermistor: In configuration.h:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5
To match the one in my V6.
Calvin
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Calvin,

You only double-click on the file that has the Arduino icon in the source file directory <Marlin.ico>, it should then load all the files into the IDE and display them as tabs at default. Which version of the IDE do you have? You should be using the latest 6.0x version.

Also, I use 'Atom' as my source code editor and only use the Arduino IDE to compile/upload to the HIC i3. Re-read this here if you have not yet:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Marlin

Configuring the thermistor is correct, even though I do not have your extruder here. Also, your z-axis rods, check pitch, etc. Also, re-check your MOTHERBOARD type. I assume you have the original we all got on the initial run from China?

// The following define selects which electronics board you have.
// Please choose the name from boards.h that matches your setup
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
  //#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB // default board
  #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB // CL: original in RC3 for HIC i3, RAMPS 1.3 (Power outputs: Extruder, Fan, Bed)
#endif
Take your time, you will get a hang of it. Like Todd, I almost tossed my whole printer into the bushes when I first got it, now I love it after finally getting it tweaked and fixing the 'cheap' parts.

Cheers,

Chip
---
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

Not sure what the problem is with Arduino software 1.6.9
When I double click the Marlin,ino that's all it opens.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Ctx32 wrote:Not sure what the problem is with Arduino software 1.6.9
When I double click the Marlin,ino that's all it opens.
Strange, never heard of that one before. Have all the source in one folder and double click the Marlin.ico and nothing opens, or just the IDE with no source tabs? Have you tried just opening the .ico file from the Arduino IDE? Interesting... will have to see if I can duplicate.

---
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

Found it, When the file was unzip to a folder I ran Arduino and it separated the Marlin.ico to a separate folder.
Moved everything to that new folder and now it opens all the files.
Thanks Chip for the idea
motor-vater
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-11

Post by motor-vater »

Hey Chip just wanted to thank you for taking the time to sort all these things out, and most importantly for sharing them with the community. A few questions if you would. I just bought and assemble the Hictop 3dp-11 with my son, kinda figured it would be a fun summer project and it has not disappointed. Ours is the High accuracy, lol, model... I'm assuming that means they put the lead screws instead of standard threaded rods. Atleast the look like lead screws to me. But all and all the printer works great, we are brand new to it and spitting out some pretty nice prints. The only issue is the SD card reader but anyways we never even calibrated it and it does good outta the box. But I have never been one to leave stuff alone, I already bought an E3D v.6 with titan extruder and a rasberrry pi. Planing on the octoprint mod. I'm getting ready to do all the mods this weekend and my kid is convinced I'm out to destroy his printer as I have no experience with firmware and probably have no business messing with it.

So just to be clear, I am going to download the latest Arduino, and marlin RC6? then just copy your config h file into the marlin folder to replace the standard file??????? After that then I will attempt to make the adjustments for the titan extruder, v6 hotend and leadscrews?? and then send it to the printer? Am I sounding like this is the correct protocol or should I just wait until my son is board of this thing before I attempt to improve it.. lol

If I am on the right track do you think I should use the standard PID values to start with and then run an autotune (Iwatched a youtube video, seems pretty straight forward) but then again you are talking to someone that it took 2 days and 3 computers to figure out that they talking about the orange print on the 3dprinting forum logo to be able to set up an account.. lol I thought I had something blocking the captca in my browser.. Dam I''m in over my head... lol
motor-vater
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-11

Post by motor-vater »

Ok so I went for it. Figured before I got into all the physical mods I have planned for the weekend I would start with your firmware on my stock Hictop and go from there. Modified 2 settings, first the motherboard to the Ramps 14 (I have the MKV Base 1.4) and changed the Z step to the mentioned 398. Flashed it an bam, I'm in business. At first I was scared cause the X, Y, Z on the screen were flashing and showing ? marks. But then I jogged the axis's and did a few measurements and everything seemed all good. So I ran a test print of a 20 mm cube and right out of the gate everything just sounded smooth. The print turned out pretty good. Measured 20.01 on the x and 20.12 and 20.09 on the z... not to shabby. I will due some fine tuning but after I put on the E3D v.6, titan, and octo pi. I am also going to straighten out a few things like the location of the z tower to get everything centered up. I have printed a few other upgrade like base supports for the z rods, and an easier to adjust z axis stop. Now the fun really begins! I have 2 more questions for you though Chip. How in the H do you figure out the pitch of the z lead screw and steppers, etc. I tried to use the prusa calculator and quickly realized I had no clue about any of the hardware I was using.. lol And second in your config do you have PID autotune enabled. I was trying to make sence of that section but I was starting to get confused. I know I want to run auto tune when I strap up the new E3D.... Thanks again buddy will report back with pics after the mods..
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Glad your running.

- The PID default values did not work well on my stock extruder setup. So I ran the auto-tune using Repetier Host and sending the proper G code as shown in that Configuration.h web link. It will run and when completed, just enter the PID values reported back into the Configuration.h file and re-compile. My temp stays within 1 C now.

// If you are using a pre-configured hotend then you can use one of the value sets by uncommenting it
  // Reprap link here for PID tuning: "http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning"

// CL: HICTOP i3 (China), post running PID tuning
  #define  DEFAULT_Kp 12.19
  #define  DEFAULT_Ki 0.50
  #define  DEFAULT_Kd 74.60

- Z-axis rods : have no idea what you have. There are resources on the internet you can look up or measure your thread pitch yourself. If they are lead screws, it will depend also on how many 'leads', 2X or 4X. I have standard threaded rod, though precision non-stock and NOT warped like OEM, 1.8 mm pitch stainless z-axis rods on my setup. If you are printing test cubes fine, then you should be close.

- The flashing X,Y,Z just indicated the firmware is waiting for the axis(es) to be set to a home position as the controller does not know where your positions are yet, like on power up or even a stopped print. It tracks position in software, however if you stop the print or move the head without using the LCD or a host program the axis(es) will flash accordingly. When they are flashing, a auto-home command will solve that.

Good luck.

Chip
===
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

Ok, I uploaded your code and so far great, I have all the features I wanted and didn't have before. Thanks
I was going to ask about the flashing X,Y,Z but I see you already answered it above.
Freaked me out first.
Also, one of my printers would always Auto Home and then run to the middle of the bed, That stopped.
It now Auto Homes and stays put. Thanks Again!

The board was to be Mega 2560 in Arduino Tools?

Is there a spot in the code that I can change the speed of the LCD dial?
Mine seems to be much slower than before, A little to slow for me.
It is easier to fine tune but still need it faster.

In your code, Where is the spot for Acceleration?
Marlin defaults to 3000 but it's too fast for these machines, I'd like it to default to 1200.
This way I don't have to change it manually everytime I print.
I think I know where it is but I don't want to make a mistake.
I print at 70 speed and 1200 acc.

Nice work Old Man!!!!!!!!
Proud of you!!!!!
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Thanks,

Read the 'how to update...' here:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=300

Board Type
- correct: Tools -> Board: -> Arduino/Genuinio 2560 (Mega 2560)

LCD Dial
- Play with LCD dial values here in <Configuration.h> to your liking, in particular ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP. Have not played with it too much as the default was TOO sensitive. You can search the 'net for more on this subject:

//
// ENCODER SETTINGS
//
// This option overrides the default number of encoder pulses needed to
// produce one step. Should be increased for high-resolution encoders.
//
#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 4 // CL: HICi3 =4, was =1

//
// Use this option to override the number of step signals required to
// move between next/prev menu items.
//
#define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 1 // CL: HICi3 =1, was =5, Set according to ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP or your liking
Accelerations
I have mine set to 1,000. I will review the latest Marlin 1.1.0-RC6 I am running, maybe they changed something. Best way to check is run Repetier Host and load EEPROM default settings from the printer. You can try the DEFAULT_ACCELERATION variable and change it to 1,200. I will check this out as actualy I was defaulting to 1,200 myself. Yep, the default factory setting was way too fast for the Hic i3.

// Default MAXIMUM ACCELERATION (motor) X, Y, Z, E=(extrusion only) - max start speeds for accelrated moves
// NOTE: value stored in DEFAULT_ACCELERATION if lower, will limit these MAX rates
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {3000,3000,100,10000} // (mm/sec^2) Marlin default - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // (mm/sec^2) original default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1000, 1000, 100, 10000} // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
// E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

// Default misc. ACCELERATIONS
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 500 // (mm/sec^2) default for Makerbot i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define [b]DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          3000[/b] // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 E acceleration for retracts (fliament purge and feed)
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non-printing) moves
One word of NOTE - When updating firmware your MUST issue a M500 command from a host program to ensure your changes are WRITTEN to the printer's EEPROM. If not, the changes will NOT take effect and will drive you crazy. I use Repetier Host read EEPROM and write the settings viewed and verified on the host to the EEPROM.

Glad you like, old man... <G>

Chip
---
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

I'll check that out, I also ordered the lead screws today.
I have the Marlin code Hictop uses.
I'll look at it for the changes for the lead screw.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”