HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
Ctx32
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop

Re: HIC i3 - current firmware development information

Post by Ctx32 »

Changed this,
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max
To This,
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1200 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max

Curious about this,
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION 3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non-printing) moves
Shouldn't it be 1200 also. Seems to fast for even non printing moves. When my printer starts a print it slams the head to the print position.
What do you think
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

Sorry, I have another question.
Extra crap like this,
// Ultimaker (was Marlin default)
//#define DEFAULT_Kp 22.2
//#define DEFAULT_Ki 1.08
//#define DEFAULT_Kd 114

// MakerGear
//#define DEFAULT_Kp 7.0
//#define DEFAULT_Ki 0.1
//#define DEFAULT_Kd 12

// Mendel Parts V9 on 12V
//#define DEFAULT_Kp 63.0
//#define DEFAULT_Ki 2.25
//#define DEFAULT_Kd 440

Is it necessary to keep it in the code?
I know it's commented out but I hate extras just to look at.
Thanks
Blaze74118
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hic i3

Post by Blaze74118 »

Created an account to participate as this is the best discussion I have found for fellow HIC users, and I would like to first thank you Chip. I have gotten the latest Marlin to work well with my HIC i3, Model: 3DP-18

However, my initial attempt to utilize the RepRap Full Graphics LCD did not take. It just blinks with a corresponding beep.

I tried the usual low level tests (i.e. swapping cables, use different known working cables, hooked up the LCD to my other (legit RAMPS) board to verify the LCD itself is not the culprit, quadruple checking appropriate library is included, firmware appropriately set, uploaded, written to EEPROM, and power-cycled) but now as it is late I wanted to see if anyone has had & resolved this issue before I start referencing pin diagrams and testing the pins themselves and/or has schematics for board similar to the one included with my model (if its different from their other models). I would greatly, genuinely appreciate it.

**side comment**
1.) I swapped controller with my Arduino/RAMPS controller (A4988 drivers) and needed to make considerable changes to RC6 firmware.
2.) I needed to swap MOSFIT for bed on included controller to my RAMPS as the one I had was melting (lawlz)
3.) my IRLB3034PBF's +sinks & DRV8825's are coming in tomorrow for further trials with RAMPS on my model
4.) once everything works interchangeably between the HIC 3DP-18's controller and my RAMPS I will be comfortable wiring my PiZero's onto each controller.
5.) Am I crazy or does it even matter choosing the version of RAMPS EFB since they all reference the same pin out file?
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Post by Chip Luck »

Ctx32 wrote:I'll check that out, I also ordered the lead screws today.
I have the Marlin code Hictop uses.
I'll look at it for the changes for the lead screw.
Do you have an actual copy of the source code? Let me know, I'd like a copy for comparison and documentation.

On the Z-axis lead screws, all you should have to change is the Z steps shown here re-compile and upload, I believe others have used the value of 398 to 400 as the pitch is obviously different than the stock 1.25mm pitch threaded rods. Plenty of resources on the 'net, if I find a link I'll post it here.

Code: Select all

// Default AXIS STEP Settings (motor steps) X, Y, Z, E
// 1a) default axis steps per unit for Ultimaker steps/mm ={8.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}
// 1b) default axis steps per unit for HIC i3 steps/mm ={80,80,2560,94.4962144}, OEM z-axis threaded rods =8mm wide x 1.25mm pitch
//#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,94.4962144} // original default for HIC i3, (steps/mm)
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 2559, 102} // CL: default steps for _my_ HIC i3, you may need to change the Z and/or E for your machine
Chip
---
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Ctx32 wrote:Changed this,
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max
To This,
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1200 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max

Curious about this,
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION 3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non-printing) moves
Shouldn't it be 1200 also. Seems to fast for even non printing moves. When my printer starts a print it slams the head to the print position.
What do you think
I have also made the changes also as for some reason the defaults were getting over written by the DEFAULT_ACCELERATION definition and DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION as show below:

Code: Select all

#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1200, 1200, 100, 10000} // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
// E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

// Default misc. ACCELERATIONS
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION         500 // (mm/sec^2) default for Makerbot i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for PRINTING moves
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          1200 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for PRINTING moves, was =3000
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   1200 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (NON-PRINTING) moves, was =3000
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000 // (mm/sec^2) CL: default for HIC i3 E acceleration for retracts (FILAMENT purge and feed)
That will cap ALL to 1200. I'm leaving the DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION at the Marlin default of 3000 for now, you want the filament to retract as quick as possible to keep stringing to a minimum.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Ctx32 wrote:Sorry, I have another question.
Extra crap like this,
// Ultimaker (was Marlin default)
//#define DEFAULT_Kp 22.2
//#define DEFAULT_Ki 1.08
//#define DEFAULT_Kd 114

// MakerGear
//#define DEFAULT_Kp 7.0
//#define DEFAULT_Ki 0.1
//#define DEFAULT_Kd 12

// Mendel Parts V9 on 12V
//#define DEFAULT_Kp 63.0
//#define DEFAULT_Ki 2.25
//#define DEFAULT_Kd 440

Is it necessary to keep it in the code?
I know it's commented out but I hate extras just to look at.
Thanks
Personally I leave it in there. It's in the official Marlin source and do no delete anything, just in case someone else uses the source code here for another printer other than a HIC i3. It's coding standard, you can add your own changes but never delete original code, even if it is commented out. BTW: do not forget to run the PID temp calibration procedure on your own printer, then edit those values and re-compile. Mine was way off until that was done.
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Blaze74118 wrote:Created an account to participate as this is the best discussion I have found for fellow HIC users, and I would like to first thank you Chip. I have gotten the latest Marlin to work well with my HIC i3, Model: 3DP-18

However, my initial attempt to utilize the RepRap Full Graphics LCD did not take. It just blinks with a corresponding beep.
Welcome and thanks! Just a note here, I have not yet used the full graphics LCD at least not yet (I do plan in the future though) nor do I have any of your other hardware related upgrades or part to be able to help you out. I would just do what I had to do with stock configuration, backup original source when it is working in proper config then add one upgrade at a time and debug from there. Good luck and maybe someone else can help you out on that as I'd be interested in it. Have seen a lot of mention of that on other forums, you can try searching for it.

Chip
---
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Welcome to the forum, Blaze!
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

Hey Guys,
I set my E steps for the extruder and the first layer is great, Better than ever.
But,
I have a new problem, Once the first layer is finished the hotend drops temp and continues to drop.
Tried several times and I get the same thing over and over.
Any Ideas?
Ctx32
Reactions:

Post by Ctx32 »

Never mind Guys, I found it.
It's cold in our house from the AC and the fan I have for cooling the Pla is very strong. Not a cheap fan even though it was a cheap price.
When the second layer can into play the fan would kick on full force. It is so strong it could cool the V6 head.
Turned the fan speed down and problem solved.
It's printing now.
Thanks
Blaze74118
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hic i3

Post by Blaze74118 »

Thank you for the welcomes!

I had looked into a bunch of different forums before asking here, but my DRV8825's and IRLB3034PBF N-CH Mosfet came in the other day so I swapped the HIC board for my MEGA/RAMPS hat. In doing so, I realized I have to yet again return to firmware tinkering.

Until I can start printing again to print a RAMPS enclosure I have to use a MTG FatPack box tailored to mount my fans to keep it cool (lol)

Interesting note: with the RAMPS I noticed better Z stepper driving when wiring them up in series instead of wiring each to their individual posts. I will try using the second extruder driver to drive the second motor to see if there is any difference.
Chip_M
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Prusa I3 Acrylic

Post by Chip_M »

This might be a dumb question, so I'll apologize in advance.... I've been trying to compile the Marlin code for my Hictop Prusa I3 (acrylic frame version), using Chip Luck's configuration files and the latest Arduino IDE. I'm getting lots of error messages from SanityCheck.h regarding things like Protocol_Version, Machine_Name, Default_Machine_UUID, etc. I figured all that stuff should be set in the configuration files, but there's a lot to sort through. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm still a bit of a newbie at all this,

Thanks in advance, and special thanks to Chip Luck for putting this together!
Chip Luck
Reactions:

Post by Chip Luck »

Chip_M wrote:This might be a dumb question, so I'll apologize in advance.... I've been trying to compile the Marlin code for my Hictop Prusa I3 (acrylic frame version), using Chip Luck's configuration files and the latest Arduino IDE. I'm getting lots of error messages from SanityCheck.h regarding things like Protocol_Version, Machine_Name, Default_Machine_UUID, etc. I figured all that stuff should be set in the configuration files, but there's a lot to sort through. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm still a bit of a newbie at all this,

Sounds like you do not have all the required source code, in particular your probably missing <Version.h>. Do not know what version of Marlin you are using? The <Configuration.h> file has changed also over the releases.

You need to download only the files located here into your working directory, i.e. try installing the archive from this link: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=298 in it's own directory and compiling.

Also re-read this here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=300 and see how it works.

---
Chip_M
Reactions:

Post by Chip_M »

Chip Luck wrote:
Chip_M wrote:This might be a dumb question, so I'll apologize in advance.... I've been trying to compile the Marlin code for my Hictop Prusa I3 (acrylic frame version), using Chip Luck's configuration files and the latest Arduino IDE. I'm getting lots of error messages from SanityCheck.h regarding things like Protocol_Version, Machine_Name, Default_Machine_UUID, etc. I figured all that stuff should be set in the configuration files, but there's a lot to sort through. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm still a bit of a newbie at all this,

Sounds like you do not have all the required source code, in particular your probably missing <Version.h>. Do not know what version of Marlin you are using? The <Configuration.h> file has changed also over the releases.

You need to download only the files located here into your working directory, i.e. try installing the archive from this link: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=298 in it's own directory and compiling.

Also re-read this here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=300 and see how it works.

---
Thanks, Chip, that did the trick. I thought I was using the latest Marlin source and had added your Configuration.h and Version.h files, but I downloaded the from the link you provided and it compiled first time. Now to try it out on the printer (and yes, I do have a backup of the factory firmware...just in case...).

Thanks again for the help!
Chip_M
Reactions:

Post by Chip_M »

Just a followup note...we must have an older Hic i3 since I needed to change the default_axis_steps_per_unit for the z axis from 2560 to 394 in order to get the proper z axis movement (checking with the move Z axis knob function). I found the original value back in the rep-rap wiki for the Hic i3. All seems to be working properly, but it is time to make a few test prints to see how things work out.

I'm learning a lot....

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”