Nozzle cleaning

Doesn't fit a specific category here? Place it here!
Seapeace
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Home made

Nozzle cleaning

Post by Seapeace »

A few minutes after finishing a print job, the filament is solidified in the nozzle and the nozzle-throat. When I start another print job a while later, the filament is not sufficiently melted and the nozzle is obstructed. Do I need to clean the nozzle after every print job ? or is there a practical method to overcome this difficulty ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Nozzle cleaning

Post by Roberts_Clif »

No!

What kind on print head do you have?

I preheat the nozzle every time when it is up to temp I then start a print, Though this is just the way I do it.
You should be able to send a print without preheating and it should work.

Else you can set these in the slicers startup G-Code

M109 - Wait for Hotend Temperature
M190 - Wait for Bed Temperature
Seapeace
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Home made

Post by Seapeace »

I also preheat the nozzle in every Gcode file with M109 and M190 but I think the filament from the previous print job gets solidified both in the nozzle and the nozzle throat (barrel inside the heatsink) and the preheating cannot melt this filament in the nozzle throat. Melting of the filament in the barrel may come from insufficient cooling but the fan is always ON and its manufacturer is supposed to have made necessary calculations for it to be sufficient. The barrel has no teflon lining inside and maybe this is a reason why the filament is melted and stuck inside. I will try to use one with teflon.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

As I have never had a throat without a Teflon lining, this may not be your best source of information.

Make sure that the heat break that goes from the heater block to the heat-sink is assembled correctly.
With full metal hot-ends - especially with the ones with hardened steel nozzles you may need to increase the printing temperature by up to 10 degrees, keep your retraction at or below 5mm - everything higher is too much and will cause clogs and the fans on the throat must remain on.

If I missed anything I could use some help from those that use an all metal hot-end.
I would ask users that use an all metal hot end to respond as to how they get this to work.

Return to “General Filament & Nozzle chat”