Identify a (non-metric?) thread

Anything you want to chat about...it doesn't have to be related to 3D printing!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Identify a (non-metric?) thread

Post by reibuehl »

Hi all,

I have a couple of 3.5mm audio jack plugs here where the plastic cover is so brittle that it breaks into pieces on the first touch. Since these covers are not too complex, I had the idea of printing new ones. The only problem is the thread that connects the metal part of the plug with the plastic housing. I have no idea what thread size it could be as it seems to be a non-metric thread. The outside diameter of the metal thread is 0.3 inches, the inner diameter seems to be something around 0.285 inches. Under which name could I find such a thread in Fusion 360?

Best regards,
Reiner
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Re: Identify a (non-metric?) thread

Post by martin-bienz »

Hi Reiner
I have been "searching" threads before and tried to replicate them in F360. If it really is a non standard thread, you can create your own ... but anyway you will need to know the pitch. It's actually preatty easy to measure normaly, but as yours is rather small, probabyl not so much. I would just take one that is pretty close (a bit bigger) and then try. Threads with this size are hard to print (shrinks to much). Try and error is your friend...

Martin
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I ran into an issue like this and wound up buying something like this
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Yes, @martin-bienz, the lenght is a problem there. The whole thread is only three turns. I am tempted to print the part in PLA without threads and then heat up one of the plugs and screw it into the plastic. That might be easier than spending a lot of time on finding out the correct thread size.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Maybe you can replace that screw with a metric one that is close enough?

You could use threaded inserts for the plastic parts. The inserts have larger holes and wider threads which makes them much easier to fit into the plastic than getting the thread itself into the plastic. The result is also much, much stronger than a tiny thread in brittle plastic ;)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Threaded inserts will not work in this case I think:
2016-08-11 13.04.05.jpg
I would like to create a spare part for the black cover.
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

first thing I would try, 2 part ninjaflex / pla piece that can be glued (or even screwed, snapped) together. Like you would cut the old black piece in half. Fun to create this! :)
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

What about M6x0.5?
(Form here)

They are not all the same, but most are, and you can check if it makes sense on yours

Edit: my bad, I looked for 2.5mm yours is 3.5mm
Last edited by Amedee on August 11th, 2016, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gudo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Extended

Post by gudo »

reibuehl wrote:Hi all,

I have a couple of 3.5mm audio jack plugs here where the plastic cover is so brittle that it breaks into pieces on the first touch. Since these covers are not too complex, I had the idea of printing new ones. The only problem is the thread that connects the metal part of the plug with the plastic housing. I have no idea what thread size it could be as it seems to be a non-metric thread. The outside diameter of the metal thread is 0.3 inches, the inner diameter seems to be something around 0.285 inches. Under which name could I find such a thread in Fusion 360?

Best regards,
Reiner
Hi all
Hi Reiner
A customized metric thread D 8.26 x 1mm pitch works well
here a direct download link for the STL and STEP file of the 3.5 jack plug cover

http://www.casimages.com/fd/PKKeYPwRuj48wur

print with 0.4mm( max) nozzle & 0.1mm layer

Hope that helps ! ;-)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I tried the M8x0.75 that is used in the 3.5mm version of the manufacturer that @Amedee found and I tried the 8.26x1 that @gudo suggested, but both do not match. I think I will use that design without a thread and then use the heated plug as a "self-tapping" screw :-)
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

reibuehl wrote:I tried the M8x0.75 that is used in the 3.5mm version of the manufacturer that @Amedee found and I tried the 8.26x1 that @gudo suggested, but both do not match. I think I will use that design without a thread and then use the heated plug as a "self-tapping" screw :-)
I have one 3.5 jack plug under hand and it seems the same of yours shown on the pic you posted :?:
I print a test before share the files, I had just to screw easely with the the fingers.. :roll:

gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

when seeing your pic, the thread of the metal part is very deformed, may be the problem is here !?
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

Print it in PLA, then dip the end into hot water and screw it on. Hey presto, thread. Will take a couple of goes until you get it right, probably.
marknemo2000
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop aluminum

Post by marknemo2000 »

yes

Return to “Off Topics!”