Brexit! Whose next?

Anything you want to chat about...it doesn't have to be related to 3D printing!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Brexit! Whose next?

Post by LePaul »

Way to go, UK. From all my reading about the EU over the years, I always felt they got the lousy part of the deal

Now The Netherlands and Italy are talking about referendums, letting the people have a voice.

Interesting times!
danilius
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Brexit! Whose next?

Post by danilius »

It was a very close call. I think everyone will be watching Britain over the next few years, and if we successfully negotiate a clean exit without any serious economic impact, then many other members with strong economies are likely to consider doing likewise.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

It's weird that the north of Britain voted to exit, they didn't know how much will cost to selltheir manufacturing outside, or how many companies will just move out.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well I think they were getting hosed...their 14 billion fee to be part of the EU, then the out of control Syrian refugee crisis really opened some eyes...
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

This is one of the few things created by the Obama administration, which I sincerely applaud. After the beginning of the collapse of the European Union the process of integrating everyone and everything in the TTIP (can't remember the correct acronym) will be unstoppable. Bravo! In the end, for Europe it all will end is very sad, I think.
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

It never has been a united Europe, the U.K. Played by the rules whist others ignored the policies they pushed through.
The other month French protesters stopped a Spanish wine tanker and emptied it all over the road in front of the police who did nothing. That's a) high jacking of a Lorry, b) theft of the produce, c) unlawful disposal of said produce into the environment d)causing damage to said enviroments, polluting the local water and killing fish etc. All in front of the police who just watched and did nothing.
Moving the EU parliament twice a month between Strasbourg and Brussels is ludicrous.
And Why do we need 820+ MEPs?...
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I find it a little ironic that after the vote, which showed the will of the people...they are trying to find ways to null that out. Either through Parliament, demanding a re-vote (do you vote repeatedly until you get the result you want?) and now ways to pause enabling Article 50.

Sometimes you have to shake the foundations and make changes that, in the short term, are painful. The STAY people said the EXIT people were using fear to win. Well now the STAY people are trying to use fear to reverse the will of the voter.

It's going to be an interesting summer
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Well Lepaul, there's a lot of jobs, science, exports/imports, and money in play. Hopefully they will step back that poor decision.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I hope they stick to their resolve. It's been a bad deal for them for quite some time but no one took their concerns seriously.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

For GB is not a poor, imo. EU is in coma now with all these burocracy freaks in Brussel and Merkel. But must interesting time is coming august-september. Deutsche bank, too much derivatives, all these sh*t blow these year. And if yes, "*exits" value wil be grow unstoppable.
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

It's a symptom of the disconnect between the Eurocracy and the people. Anonymous people creating rules and regulations does not really sit very well anymore in the 21st century. Free trade makes a great deal of sense; throwing away your fishing for some greater good does not. There is a whole long list of issues that finally tipped it over, although I grant you that this was more of a psychological vote than one based on raw hard data.

If anything it will help the EU to reconsider its role, and just how far it needs to impinge on the daily lives of its citizens. As it is, it makes no sense to have two sets of governments for every country with overlapping areas of policymaking. The whole thing has grown too big and shambolic to be able to ride out the few horror stories that crop up every now and then, and although there is no doubt that it brought economic prosperity and fostered good relations between its members, to the Brits the French are simply a rich source of merriment, and to the French the Brits are a prime example of thoroughly undignified public disorder. On that front at least, the EU failed miserably. Vive la différence!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

So look what Brussels wants to do now...
Under the radical proposals EU countries will lose the right to have their own army, criminal law, taxation system or central bank, with all those powers being transferred to Brussels.
Source

And you guys were worried about Trump? :)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I think the difference is that radical proposals in the EU countries are less likely to happen than a President Trump...
Swordriff
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2-3dSolex

Post by Swordriff »

Maybe Finland: "Fixit!"
Swordriff
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2-3dSolex

Post by Swordriff »

I was in Greece between 20th June and 5th July! Many englosh tourists there..
I said to start a visum-business, with invitations from Norway to return from GB. haha!
We joked " which lane are you choosing in immigration"...of course these things take time..

Return to “Off Topics!”