UMO / UMO+ Firmware

Topics related to printer firmware
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: UMO / UMO+ Firmware

Post by Neotko »

You could then indeed cut the holes, if you see my printed version, you could check the umo+ diagram and print one to find the spots on umo (like the umo bed upgrade does with a paper printed).

I would wait for @Amedee's magic, my coding skills are quite poor (but so far works like a charm)

Uploaded a easy print addon to have a more robust fix on the endstop.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/2212 ... ply-153884
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

With the new firmware released by Ultimaker...I assume we will have new firmware soon too? :)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Honestly I don't think that Ultimaker will ever change umo/umo+ firmware to improve them.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Indeed, I double checked on Github, there is no recent change for the UMO(+) firmware. The firmware announcement with the new Cura is only for the UM2 line (and the max temp stuff is already covered in my fork)
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Ok....good to know
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Updated design on youmagine. Now it's really rock solid. It had a small flaw and today test with a feller failed 1/20 times because it could tilt horizontally. Now works like a clock.

Amall issue on my firmware quick write the 'move to z offset' does home but sometimes it doesn't do the home to g1 z0. I suppose it's because I sent gcode instead of moving the planer by actual coding. I should fix that.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

I have observed a sligh (very very slight) anomaly on the Z position. But I think it's related to the repetition but my gut tells me that it might be the 0.01 adjustment by firmware when doing the Z adjustment. Will run more tests, worse case scenario I will do a simple adapter to place the endstop on the bottom.

Back to square one (hopefully not...)

I mean this line

Code: Select all

if (encoderPosition != 0)
    {
        refresh_cmd_timeout();
        current_position[Z_AXIS] += float((int)encoderPosition) * 0.01;
Because when doing the Z adjustment some points the Z doesn't move at all, probably related to decimal points being dismissed on the process. UMO+ Z motor just doesn't move after each 0.01 change, but it does each 0.02, that makes sense since that's supposed it's minimum resolution. I think that it's making a decimal point that it's screwing repetition. Ofc this doesn't make much sense but I'll run more tests with that change and a Gauge Dial indicator to see if there's true perfect repetition.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

I haven't look at the code, but I am very skeptical that these switches achieve that level of accuracy (in particular when they are mounted like you did)...
I think if I go that way, I'll use an inductive switch.
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by antiklesys »

Amedee wrote:I haven't look at the code, but I am very skeptical that these switches achieve that level of accuracy (in particular when they are mounted like you did)...
I think if I go that way, I'll use an inductive switch.
What about an optical one?
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

antiklesys wrote: What about an optical one?
I don't know... maybe...

I said inductive because I have a couple in my toolbox and they give very good results on my CNC... I can power the switch directly from the PSU, but need to reduce the signal voltage (opto or divider, ...)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Changed the firmware so it does 0.02 movement and got repetition back. I need to design an adapter for my gauge dial, but so far 6 prints first layer landed the same quality (I'm pretty obsessed with it so I always look when it prints). Doing 80 keychains this weekend... Much to hack so little time
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by antiklesys »

I'm still looking forward having the bed leveling routine integrated in the firmware :P
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

That shouldn't be too complicated.. It's a bit like the firmware changes I did, but adding 2 more steps. It's quite easy btw. If I end the new z endstop (redoing all because it indeed has a repetition problem) to move it down the bed. But it might need to loose 2cm of the bottom area or saw the bottom part :S I'm back to square one point 5
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

antiklesys wrote:I see.
I guess I'll stick to standard or eventually cut a few holes.
Can't home Z at the bottom due the current amount of modifications implemented on the machine :P
Well, changed the Endstop from top to bottom, repetition now isn't a problem. Documented all the changed on firmware on the first post and updated the design on youmagine

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/2212 ... mit-on-umo

With a longer base it should (I can upload the step file if you like this idea) it should be really easy to change the 'bottom' so you could get rid of the bottom z endstop.

Anyway, I love to be able to change the Z by firmware. If I get time next weeks I'll write a basic calibration routine like the um2 does, nothing fancy. Anyway I prefer to calibrate while doing the new z offset with this added firmware code.

Cheers!!

Return to “Firmware”