UMO / UMO+ Firmware

Topics related to printer firmware
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Re: UMO / UMO+ Firmware

Post by Amedee »

I just meant Marlin is not the only firmware for AtMega micro controllers -- E.g. Repetier is another one, there are others. Of course they would need to be configured for UMO...

To come back on the plans of my fork, i have re-build my environment and I will provide the motor current tuning Neotko is keen to have. I am traveling to Germany this week-end, so it will be sometime next week ;)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Thank you amedee!!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Moved this to the new Firmware section under Software and Electronics
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Here we go :!:

As I already mentioned, I want to keep a stable and tested firmware on https://bultimaker.bulles.eu
I normally don't push anything which isn't fully tested.

On the other hand there are some fair requests here, I am happy to make improvement, but I don't always have time to make in-depth testing, or I just don't have the right hardware for that.
So here is the plan: I have created a new 'experimental' branch where I will push new features. For the ones using the builder, there is an experimental one based on that branch: https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/experimental/

When I get sound positive feedback over the experimental features, I'll merge them in the main tree and continue to develop in the experimental.

Hope this all makes sense to you.

As I kind of promised to look at saving motors current settings, I started with that one, so here is the changelog for this first experimental release ;)
  • Added a 'sub-version' field to the EEPROM settings to be able to extend the amount of data saved without having to reset all the saved settings
  • Motors current are now saved in the EEPROM as well. There is no user-interface (yet), so you have to use the GCode from the console:
    - Set current with M907 (e.g.: M907 X1100 Z1200 E1300 )
    - Save in EEPROM with M500
(Commit)

Enjoy / feedback welcome
Last edited by Amedee on March 3rd, 2016, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Awesome! Now I need time to finish the pancake feeder :D thanks Amedee!
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Nice, once i'm up and running I can/will take the experimental version for a spin now and then to help you with some testing.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

I made the user interface as well, went faster than expected ;)

So it is a sub-menu in the Control menu.

(Commit)
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

There is a new commit in the experimental branch ;-)

This is mainly of interest for the OctoPrint users (and the Pronterface ones to a lesser extend): when you print from USB, you can now pause/resume your print from the controller :!:

I needed this to have filament detection working with USB prints, but there is also a nice application for that: I like to be near the printer when I start a print. Now I don't have anything else than the Pi around the computer. One option would be to have a control screen on the PI (like Martin), but I don't want to have anything more than the controller. With this feature, I just need to add a 'M0' / Pause in the 'Before print' GCode from OctoPrint, the print will pause at start and I can release it from the controller when I'm ready!

More info on the '// action:command' protocol here and there.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

nilrog wrote:
Amedee wrote:(There are also alternative firmware which could be explored ;) )
Enlighten me :)

Up till I saw this thread I thought there were only one FW for the UMO+. Yes, I had seen your site where you could build custom versions, including GT2. But I thought it was just a nice configurator around UM's FW.

I have tried to gather info on interesting mods for the UMO+. But trying to find something in their forum is almost impossible. Unless it's for the UM2(+).
jonnybischof wrote:jonnybischof
(testing this so he get's a notification.

He did post long a go https://ultimaker.com/en/community/5103 ... ion?page=1 it has one of the most extend list of mods for umo.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

I edited the first post with a summary of the changes ...
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Amedee, thank you! I will install it soon:) Great job with the current user settings AND I like the pause from octoprint workflow! :)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

I'll like to ask if could be posible to add an option to reverse the feeder from the ulticontroller :)

Thankssss
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Neotko wrote:
nilrog wrote:
Amedee wrote:(There are also alternative firmware which could be explored ;) )
Enlighten me :)

Up till I saw this thread I thought there were only one FW for the UMO+. Yes, I had seen your site where you could build custom versions, including GT2. But I thought it was just a nice configurator around UM's FW.

I have tried to gather info on interesting mods for the UMO+. But trying to find something in their forum is almost impossible. Unless it's for the UM2(+).
jonnybischof wrote:jonnybischof
(testing this so he get's a notification.

He did post long a go https://ultimaker.com/en/community/5103 ... ion?page=1 it has one of the most extend list of mods for umo.
I actually gave up on collecting mods for the UMO a long time ago, and went straight over to making my own mods - and from there, my own printer. Seems to be an endless project with not many notable things to come out yet :P
But there is progress here and there. I'm just usually not happy enough with it to keep it and start over.

/edit:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54
This might be your go-to resource though. antiklesys made a good list of the mods he installed.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote:I'll like to ask if could be posible to add an option to reverse the feeder from the ulticontroller :)
We'll have it in the builder as soon as I commit the changes, but I am very reluctant to make any motion related changes available from the controller: anything related to axes, feeder, direction, ... are compile time constants. To make them software selectable they need to be changed into variables...
  • These are used everywhere, we need to be very careful not to introduce regression (can be managed though)
  • More variables means bigger memory footprint (we should be OK there)
  • But main reason is that using variables instead of compile time constant will slow down the controller, and these particular changes will affect the planner where we don't have a lot of flexibility. All these constant are there for a reason: getting enough performance out of this small micro-controller. With a 'modern' 32bits controller it might be an option, but with this 16Mhz ATmega1280 it is a bit risky
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

No problem! I just forgot I can use a needle to take out the cables and reverse them, much easier.

Return to “Firmware”