TinkerGnome's UM2 firmware - wishlist

Topics related to printer firmware
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

TinkerGnome's UM2 firmware - wishlist

Post by Anders Olsson »

So, I am very happy with the TinkerGnome UM2 firmware in general, but there are a few things that I would like to change.
Thought I can as well make a tread about it, in case others have suggestions too to improve this already amazing software :)
I am currently using the V15.12, but there is a V16.01 available now: https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimake ... tag/V16.01

This list will be fairly short, but here is what I would like to change:

- A longer (or adjustable) timeout interval for the nozzle heating in the "Move" - "Extruder" -menu. I use this menu to make atomic pulls and such and it often times out and switches of the heating in the middle of the process. I would prefer the timeout like three times longer or so.

- The heating should switch on when entering the "Move" - " Extruder" - menu independent of the current nozzle temperature. Now the nozzle will not heat up if the temperature is higher than 100 C when entering the menu, so one has to set the temperature manually.

- It would be nice if the fan speed setting when printing was permanently overriding the settings in the G-code throughout the print.
I had the same issue with the original firmware: One realizes the fan speed was set to low for a certain part of the object and then has to set it over and over again to the new setting until there are no more fan speed updates in the G-code.

- If possible (not that critical) the motor current settings should have effect immediately, not having to power cycle the printer. This is not a big deal though, one could also just write a line about it in the menu so it is obvious, just caused me some headache before I realized what was going on.

That is all I had for now, thank you again for an awesome firmware TinkerGnome! :-)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: TinkerGnome's UM2 firmware - wishlist

Post by Neotko »

Ohh fan override! @amedee please do that too !
m(*o*)m
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

I would like to add an "atomic pull wizard" to the wish list. The function could be selectable from the maintenance menu and should then do the necessary heat up and cool down for the filament selected (ABS/PLA).
TinkerGnome
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker2

Post by TinkerGnome »

Sorry, i'm quite busy in real live a.t.m. - no chance to visit the forum regularly...
You're very kind, but i want to clarify that i'm not the inventor of this firmware, i made only a few changes to the user interface, not much more...
Anders Olsson wrote: A longer (or adjustable) timeout interval for the nozzle heating
As far as i remember the interval is already adjustable - (Avanced -> Preferences -> Heater timeout). A value of zero disables the timeout completely.
Anders Olsson wrote: The heating should switch on when entering the "Move" - " Extruder" - menu independent of the current nozzle temperature. Now the nozzle will not heat up if the temperature is higher than 100 C when entering the menu, so one has to set the temperature manually.
I agree - this "feature" is a bit annoying sometimes... let's revert it. I put in on my todo list.
Anders Olsson wrote: If possible (not that critical) the motor current settings should have effect immediately
This is a bug (more or less) - it should be fixed with the latest release (16.03). (but it contains probably new ones - as always... :-P )

Fan speed overriding:
Interesting idea - i miss it sometimes too. On the other hand: i often use the features from the slicer to adjust the fans dynamically (e.g. for bridging or short layer times). The overriding has to be optional in some kind... in this case the keyword is "usability".. lets' see...

Atomic pull wizard:
Yeahh! I have this on my personal wishlist list for a long time...
...the days are simply too short - and the nights too... 8-)

@Anders Olsson:
I heard rumours that there's another feature on your wishlist: "Swap nozzle heater". So that you can choose the primary feeder motor and nozzle independently from each other (swap the bowden and all 4 combinations are possible)? What do you think?

Till next time!
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

TinkerGnome wrote: As far as i remember the interval is already adjustable - (Avanced -> Preferences -> Heater timeout). A value of zero disables the timeout completely.
Thank you, you are perfectly right, should have checked the settings more carefully before posting :oops:

When it comes to the motor current, I need to do some more testing (with the new firmware) but that will take a few weeks I am afraid since I am also very busy.
I will provide feedback when I have tested it properly :-)
TinkerGnome wrote: I heard rumours that there's another feature on your wishlist: "Swap nozzle heater". So that you can choose the primary feeder motor and nozzle independently from each other (swap the bowden and all 4 combinations are possible)? What do you think?
Well, I don't know exactly where those rumor comes from, but having reliable control over each extruder with current/flow/filament size settings is certainly one thing I need for coming projects :-)

Right now, I would really need to just sit down and test various modes of operation though, but I have had lots of important things that actually needed to be printed lately, so I had not chance of testing the firmware.
Still not running UltiGcode on the second extruder, using the nozzle swap plugin in Cura instead which causes some issues, so I haven't even tested the swap nozzle thing properly yet, sorry for that.
TinkerGnome
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker2

Post by TinkerGnome »

Anders Olsson wrote: Well, I don't know exactly where those rumor comes from
from Boston... ;-)
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by MTVDNA »

I have also been using TinkerMarlin for a while now and I love it, but I do have one feature request though. I don't often use the change material option, because I can just release the clamp on the feeder and change filament manually, which imho is a lot easier. However, I do like the way it keeps moving material for a while until you push the button, so you can flush out the old stuff. At the moment I have to stay present and keep moving it by turning the knob. If you ever find the time, I'd love to see that feature :)

Return to “Firmware”