Bondtech feeder running backwards

Problems with your printer? Questions about making some modifications or tweaks to it? Ask away! We've organized the discussions on printer model to make it easy!
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Bondtech feeder running backwards

Post by Izzy »

Hi guys.
I needed to replace my headed bed this week, after 3.5 years one of the connections developed an intermittent fault, and despite an attempt to resolder it, it lasted a couple of small prints before failing again, so a new one was purchased, it has better connections but a bit steep at £170.
So I also upgraded the firmware, first time in 18 months, reinstalled the custom firmware for the Bondtech feeder, reset the machine, Emergancy stop during set up to disassembly the lower part of the print head, ( it tried to raise the bed and park the head in the home position, as I have Gudo’s bed stability struts fitted it clashes) re level the bed roughly minus lower print head, reassembly head and level the bed again, but now my Bondtech QR feeder is running backwards, any help etc. Anybody 🤓
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Bondtech feeder running backwards

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Izzy: you are looking for HI-TEMP HI-FORCE 44™ SOLDER, though it cost $15 for a single ounce.

When you solder with HI-TEMP 44 Solder it need to be done as quickly as possible as the traces will separate from the board material from overheating.
( more commonly called Silver Solder) Contains 95% Cadmium and 5% Silver that flows free at 640° to 650° F. (maximum temp. 740° F.)
Soft solder typically has a melting point range of 90 to 450 °C, Soldering performed using alloys with a melting point above 450 °C (840 °F; 720 K) is called "hard soldering", "silver soldering" or you could use a Silver Solder Paste 0.25 ozt (Easy) -

SOL-725-SSE
Flow Point: 1325˚F (718˚C)
Melt Point: 1240˚F (671˚C)

Just a note, myself I hate to waste anything that can be repaired.
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Bondtech feeder running backwards

Post by Izzy »

Hi Clif,
I’ve used silver solder for brazing metals, I was thinking that it’s melting point would be a bit high for the aluminium, my soldering iron may only just get to the correct temperature to obtain this but the aluminium acts as a big heat sink. I may well take it to a local electronics company to see if they can repair it.
The new bed is an improvement on the origional and is fine, if it gives me 3.5 year’s service I will be happy.

Bondtech got back to me, hats off to Martin who was answering through the weekend, I was advised to just swap around pins 1&4. All working fine now.

Return to “Ultimaker Printers Discussion”