Noob with tons of questions

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
GlassOnion
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): n/a

Noob with tons of questions

Post by GlassOnion »

So hi my name is GlassOnion and I hail from the south east of the US. I am looking to get into 3D printing as I think it has developed enough to where it's achievable for the hobbyist and tinkerer of which I am firmly ensconced. I have been doing my research. Not to toot my own horn but I'm fairly computer savvy. My career as a tinkerer and hobbyist started back in the 70s. But as far as owning a 3D printer, I'm a noob of the noobiest.

There are so many terms and acronyms. I now know what people who haven't a clue about computers, feels when they go to buy one and the sales dude is yammering on about all these "features". I want to know what the true features are and what is hype.

Firstly my budget is around the $300 mark.

I have selected 6 printers from talking to others and researching. I shortened the urls because Amazon has the world's longest urls. I just didn't want any one to think I was hot linking to nefarious things:

Comgrow Creality Ender 3 3D Printer: https://goo.gl/mufVXz

SainSmart x Anet A8 Prusa i3 3D Printer: https://goo.gl/7CZpcZ

FLSUN 3d Printer Prusa i3 Diy Kit Auto leveling RepRap: https://goo.gl/24v2gZ

New Upgraded High Precision Auto Leveling Desktop DIY Reprap Prusa i3 3D Printer Kit: https://goo.gl/bqqhei

REPRAPGURU Black DIY Prusa I3 3D Printer Kit: https://goo.gl/4miiKp

TEVO Tarantula I3 Aluminium Extrusion 3D Printer Kit Auto and Large Bed 3D Printing With Aibecy Cleaning Cloth 2 Rolls Filament 8GB Memory Card: https://goo.gl/64GaRD

Of these printers, what features between them should I look for so I can compare apples to apples?

I am sure memory is just as important as it would be in a high volume laser printer at work. Can these be upgraded?

I realize that with more money you get more features. I understand that concept. What I am wanting to do is stick to my budget ....fairly well, but still get the best bang at this level that I can. And I want to avoid the "If it sounds to good to be true" deals.

I understand that you have to replace the filament spools and such. Is it possible to use multiple colors on a single print? What other parts do you have to replace? Do you periodically have to replace the print head as you would say in a laser or plasma table?

I know I'm asking someone to do a lot of work for me for free. I just need some guidance.
GlassOnion
Reactions:

Re: Noob with tons of questions

Post by GlassOnion »

Oh btw I hope this is posted in the correct area. If not please direct me to the proper section.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Eliminate all 3D Printer without an Aluminum frame. Wobbly frames make for poor 3D Prints.

Comgrow Creality Ender 3 3D Printer: https://goo.gl/mufVXz

FLSUN 3d Printer Prusa i3 Diy Kit Auto leveling RepRap: https://goo.gl/24v2gZ

TEVO Tarantula I3 Aluminum Extrusion 3D Printer Kit Auto and Large Bed 3D Printing With Aibecy Cleaning Cloth 2 Rolls Filament 8GB Memory Card: https://goo.gl/64GaRD

Of these printers, what features between them should I look for so I can compare apples to apples?

I would look at some Other Aluminum Extrusion frame 3D Printers By Hictops
GlassOnion
Reactions:

Post by GlassOnion »

Thanks. I'm really leaning hard towards this model:

TEVO Tarantula I3 Aluminum Extrusion 3D Printer Kit Auto and Large Bed 3D Printing With Aibecy Cleaning Cloth 2 Rolls Filament 8GB Memory Card: https://goo.gl/64GaRD

Again, knowing only general info about them, I am rather nervous about pulling the trigger on it. It's not the price per sai. Will it print quality prints without a lot of added $$ or tinkering. If I were building my next $3000 computer it would be done and done.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
Having gone through the process myself in the past year I know how you feel, it looks like a minefield.
I knew very little about 3D printing when I was given a Folger FT5, it was in kit form. They said about 20 hours to build, I spent about twice that before I got my first print. Expect to learn as you go and enjoy it.
Get a printer that is already built or at least only takes a few steps to put it together as you could be spending a lot of time banging your head against the wall trying to figure out what is not working, you may have more luck that me though.
As Roberts said above get an aluminium or metal framed printer.
One more thing to consider, the market is changing so fast and prices are coming down.
There are new models coming out every week that seem to be more user friendly.

Jump in and enjoy the ride.....
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Now that you have selected your first 3D Printer TEVO Tarantula 3D Printer - Official FULL MANUAL Get familiar before it arrives this will make the assemble go smoother.
GlassOnion
Reactions:

Post by GlassOnion »

@ Roberts_Clif

Thanks man for the help and heads up on the manual and assembly video. That was helpful. I can order my crimping tool (which I need in the lab anyways..don't know where the other one went) and I can assemble the tools I will need so that as soon as UPS delivers my package it'll be like Christmas.

I THINK this is the one I am getting. I guess the only way for me to know for sure is to get it. LOL...*nervously clicks ADD TO CART*
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

I'm surprised @LePaul hasn't chimed in yet. He has several different printers (including the Tevo).

Personally, I have both the Hictop 3DP-17 and the Hictop CR-10S. I have found Hictop to be a really good company to work with. They replaced my 3DP-17 mainboard no questions asked, and gave me a free print head replacement kit for the CR-10S as part of a promotional thing on Facebook. My CR-10S is my main workhorse, as the 3DP-17 needs a lot more fiddling (and my spare time has thinned out considerably). When I only had the 3DP-17, it worked very well, but the CR-10S can run circles around it with less effort.
GlassOnion
Reactions:

Post by GlassOnion »

I guess I am just suffering from analysis paralysis. Like I said, if I were putting together my next high end gaming computer it wouldn't phase me in the least to see a build sheet with $3000+ total. I would be very confident in my purchases and when it came i would know exactly what to expect.

With this, I'm kind of flying blind, reading tons of reviews, listening to people and their recommendations, and pulling my hair out in the process. It's not the money as much as it's that I'm buying a box with a big ? on the side of it.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread a bit sooner

I can tell you for $300, I would say save some more and go for something like a Creality CR-10S. It's $625 if you buy from a US vendor (TinyMachines, PrintedSolid) who has unboxed it, inspected it, tested it and then ships it to you known good.

You could take the risk and pay less, ordering from China and it will eventually show up. How beat up it is when it arrives should be a concern. My CR-10 came from GearBeast and it needed a lot of attention to get working. My CR-10S came from PrintedSolid and they noted a problem capacitor in the electronics box and replaced it. I got a printer that was ready to print in no time. Well worth the extra money.

I know there are some sub-$300 printers out there and frankly, there are a lot of compromises. Small build volume and I just think if you get a printer like this, you'll just wish you had spent a bit more for something better.

Avoid the Tevo Tornado...I have one, still trying to dial it in.

The Tevo you mention is quite the kit, is that what you want for a first printer?
GlassOnion
Reactions:

Post by GlassOnion »

LePaul wrote: July 27th, 2018, 11:24 am The Tevo you mention is quite the kit, is that what you want for a first printer?
I am not afraid of assembly, as long as all the parts are there. I build stuff all the time. I do have certs if that's going to help me and a degree in Computer Science amongst others and ran an IT Security business for a while before retiring early. All that to say I'm fairly confident in my building skills. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I understand that with more money I get better "stuff" for a lack of a better term. But I have set my budget and I really would like to stick to it. Perhaps after I bust my cherry on this one, I will see / feel the need to invest in something superior.

It was mentioned you have this model or similar. At this level of printer what are some of the pros and cons you have come across in your experiences with it.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've been in the IT field for 25 years, so I share that background.

But 3D printing is a completely different creature.

If that's your budget, I wish you well. There isn't any in that realm I would buy.
GlassOnion
Reactions:

Post by GlassOnion »

Well, hmmmm. I thank you for your time and input.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'd love to know what you find...the Tevo seems OK but I am seeing a lot of happy reviews about the Ender 3

I've just had a lot of people ask me in the past this very question. 4 bought CR-10S's and are loving them. Another went with a kit that he never finished.

It's like upgrading the game rig...you want the GTX 1080Ti and sometimes, you just have to keep saving.

What are you looking to print? Small? Big? Design your own pieces? Or just testing the 3D printing waters?

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”