BuildTak Removal

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

BuildTak Removal

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have read about all the nightmares of bed surface removal, and how hard it was to remove the left over adhesive.
They talked about about the chemicals that were so toxic they wore respirators to wipe down the bed to remove the adhesive.

Goo-Gone, Goof-Off, Lacquer thinner, acetone and Mineral Spirits to name a few.

I was plenty worried about this until I decided to pull up the BuildTak surface. And thought why not try to stick a putty knife under the surface,
while pulling the edge of the BuildTak surface up with my fingers. I stuck the 1 1/4 inch wide putty knife under the surface and began to rock if to loosen the BuildTak surface. and slowly it became loose. Using a sharp blade razor knife I scored the surface of the BuildTak so I could pull the surface off in smaller strips. Like you would do with glued down carpet. And in less than a couple minutes had the surface off with no adhesive remaining on the bed.

I noted the bed temperature was 17C when I started to remove the old BuildTak Surface.

The New Surface Is Not Stated But was purchased from a Hictop Rep and I received two 300mm X 300mm X 1mm for under $12.00.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: BuildTak Removal

Post by LePaul »

Interesting...I haven't tried to remove the LokBuild completely...just started using another mirror tile i had
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

After a year I have found a Bed surface that the filament actually sticks to and it is not BuildTak.
It is the previously mentioned unknown Bed surface I purchased from a Hictop Rep in China. Maybe I can stop using the Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape.
It holds well and allows for easy removal of models from it's surface, the nozzle is never close enough to the surface to cause damage.
Unless you mess up an drive the nozzle into the bed like I did on many occasions, when learning how to adjust the bed leveling and nozzle height.

Today I am using OctoPrint for the First time. Printing simotanoiulsly on both 3D Printers while printing on these unknown bed surfaces.
I have installed a few plugins like EMERGENCY STOP stop but can not seem to locate where it is.

Any help in this making OcotPrint work to top performance would be appreciated. Direct me to where and what to install.

Please.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

You need to enable EMERGENCY STOP to actually use it. See https://github.com/ntoff/OctoPrint-Estop. For other plugins, I'd recommend just playing around with them. The Octoprint guys are really good about kicking malicious or untested plugins off their installer, so you 'should' be fairly safe.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

OK!
I found the Emergency Stop. It was a microscopic triangle on the top menu Line!
The article showed a large button on The Side bar, guess I have to add more code to get the Ugly Large Button.

https://github.com/ntoff/OctoPrint-Estop
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I find that printing on the HicTech bed surface is diffidently not as easy as printing on the Vinyl Transfer Paper Surface.

Guess I had a few good days when I first installed the Surface, now it has became a real pain..
I will really be glad when this testing period is over, so I can go back to the Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape.
Then will make fewer 3D Printed models for the circular file compartment..
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Cut the Testing short for the 2012hictech bed surface Back to Printing on the Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape.

Conclusion well if you can not guess. WELL!!!!!

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”