Drying your humid filaments....

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Chaco
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HyperCube & Hictop Prusa i3 3DP-08

Drying your humid filaments....

Post by Chaco »

Giving this a go.
My new roll of Nylon, which has barely been used and its on a ziplock bag with 2 desiccant packets, already sucked a lot of moisture. I can see it bubble and fizzle as it prints... So i am using this trick to dry it over night. Lets see how it works..... All the items i already had in my garage..

http://taulman3d.com/drying-materials.html

What ya all think?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Drying your humid filaments....

Post by LePaul »

That seems like an inexpensive and effective way to do it. I know some have mentioned baking it in the oven at low heat for hours.

Which makes me wonder, after printed, is the part going to absorb all this moisture, too?
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Re: Drying your humid filaments....

Post by Anders Olsson »

I have been drying my Bridge Nylon and other materials in an oven a few hours at 80 C, it works fine.
This was a precise lab-oven though, if you attempt this at home make sure you have a precise thermometer inside the oven to check the actual temperature.

PETG can also absorb a bit of moisture, but I would not go above 70 C in that case since it can get slightly sticky at 80 C.

I have just ordered a food dehydrator by the way to use where I don't have access to the lab oven, other people have been using those with success to dry filament.
There is even a company that put another sticker on them and sell them as Filament dryers: http://www.printdry.com

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”