Changing Layer Height is a Single Print

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Changing Layer Height is a Single Print

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Is it possible for a print to have 0.20 layer heights infill, and still have and outer layer height of 0.05 or 1/4 the thickness.

So let's say you would print the 4 outer layers at 0.05 then print all the infill at .20 which is four time as thick.
I know the the slicer would have to be programmed to have a feature like this added, although It could be allowed to slice in this manner.

You select an option like 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 this could slice the perimeter at that that fractional layer height then the slice the infill at layer height.
You could also have a selection of how many outer layers to slice at the Fraction. This would give the outer shell a smoother appearance while using a thicker infill. This would decrease the amount of time required to print higher quality prints.

Food for thought.
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Changing Layer Height is a Single Print

Post by MTVDNA »

This feature exists in simplify3d, off the top of my head I think it's called sparse infill. You set the layer height, and then the infill will be printed say every 3 layers or so, at 3 times the layer height. You can choose how much this should be of course.
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

In Cura 2.6.x there is an option "infill layer thickness" which does exactly what you want. However, this option is not shown by default and has to be enabled in the setting visibility dialog.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Dim3nsioneer wrote: July 23rd, 2017, 1:08 pm In Cura 2.6.x there is an option "infill layer thickness" which does exactly what you want. However, this option is not shown by default and has to be enabled in the setting visibility dialog.

Did not know this.

Thanks!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you!!

I did not know this had already been talked about, Have not read every post in on the site.
Thought I had read all posts in Slicers and CAD Software, some how missed must have been a late night.

here

Tested with Layer Height 0.1 and Infill 0.3 it works!!

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”