How do you time lapse your prints?

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

How do you time lapse your prints?

Post by LePaul »

I know a lot of people use GoPro Cameras or a variety of webcams.

I re-use an old iPhone 4!

For $1.99 , Lapse It Pro works great! I suggest plugging the iPhone into the charger for longer prints since it can quickly eat a battery. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lapse-i ... 95161?mt=8)

I printed out an iPhone tripod adapter to complete the setup. (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:251813)

Here it is in action!
IMG_0242.JPG
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Re: How do you time lapse your prints?

Post by Amedee »

I am using OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi with its RapiCam to drive and monitor my UMO+

I have the time-lapse feature of OctoPrint activated by default, so I have a timelapse of all my prints.

Quality is not as good as with a real camera, but good enough for what I do with it -- the main reason of bad quality is the lack of light, it would be much better with decent lights

Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

I still want to have a nice timelapse setup. This would be amazing!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That's really excellent !
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Nice idea...

OctoPrint (depending on the configuration) takes a picture on Z change (which is what I always do)
We could easily make a Cura plugin to put the hot-end out of the way on each new layer and achieve the same thing!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

I am still looking for a suitable timelapse setup for my UM2. Unfortunately most of the camera mounts for the UM2 are designed to clip to the front top frame which doesn't work for me as I have this front door installed on it which can't be opened anymore with most of the camera mounts in place.
I am now looking for a way to mount a Raspberry Pi camera somewhere on the inside but haven't really found a great place for it yet. I would then use OctoPrint just for the camera functions. My previous tests with the UM2 and OctoPrint where not that successful as OctoPrint seems to conflict with using the UM2 front panel.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Yeah I was thinking the same Amedee, I have a pi, but not sure if I can interface my USB webcam to get it to work.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Linux is recognizing almost every webcam out of the box -- now it needs to work with mjpg-streamer.

You can check this page to see if somebody already tried it...
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

I use a Raspberry Pi with the RaspiCam mounted to the front of my UMO. To the cam case I have connected a "fish eye" lens. You can check some of the tl's on my youtube channel (I use it for 3D-Hubs prints to show my buyers the process).
https://www.youtube.com/user/mbienz/vid ... =0&sort=dd

My Case (designed in 123D Design quite some time ago :)) attached. There are still some things I don't like about it, that's why I have not published it on youmagine (or thingiverse or else). I don't use octoprint but something I have written in Python / pygame and uses mjpeg-streamer as a camera interface... also this is not really ready to share but works okay. It basically just takes a picture every n seconds. After the process I create a video from the picture sequence (not on the pi, manually).

That's it... if someone wants more info, I am willing to share, no problemo.
Attachments
2015-05-19 07.01.05.jpg
2015-05-19 07.00.30.jpg

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”