The Beast

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

The Beast

Post by LePaul »

A friend of mine bought this but hasn't begun assembly yet.

One thing I didn't see was a heated build plate.

Thoughts?

The Beast
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: The Beast

Post by Izzy »

Looks interesting, large build capacity, multi head,
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

Looks awesome... wants! Please keep us informed of his experience.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'll do that. I will see if I can get him into the forums.
Samurai
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): The Beast

Post by Samurai »

Hello,

So yes I bought The Beast printer. I can tell you that this thing is massive, I can post picture in a bit. To give you an idea, I sat inside the frame a few times while building it. My build is on hold as I really don't like acrylic bracing it comes with, so I had new aluminum ones cut and they are on the way in. I really don't plan on printing 4 things at once as I plan on only using 1/2 heads to get the most of the build area. The company making the printers is having some, a lot, of issues IMO... but they are shipping and a few of us have them in hand and building\printing.

As Paul ahs said, no it doesn't come with a heated build platform. There are options for that as some of us are working on a solution using silicone heaters with a metal plate on top or there is the heat pads a few others have found. Personally, I think the biggest issue the printer has is it needs auto leveling. It is using a rumba board, so it should be possible. With the gigantic build surface this thing has, the slightest little bumps cause this thing to wavy.

Now, there is some negativity out there on this printer by the owners, but a lot of that has to do with the company making these and the expectations of some buyers thinking this was a build and push a button thing. In the end it is a good starting place for a gigantic printer.
Samurai
Reactions:

Post by Samurai »

Here are some images of the printer parts.

The gray slim rectangle in the lower right is a full size rack mount server.
The beams next to it are the vertical supports for the printer.

The build plate. There is at least 1" of clearance all around R2's dome.
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

That is a nice size, would it be able to print the R2 body :)
Samurai
Reactions:

Post by Samurai »

No, not the body... I think it is just shy on the height, but I have not put the body in the frame to check.

Also, the way I look at the printer is it need upgrades, but at a starting price of about $1800, it is a great place to start. A heated bed I think will cost about $100-$200... so that puts me at $2k for this scale of printer.
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

Thanks for the feedback. Love reading this. Not much in the market for something I'd have to do a lot of tinkering with, so for me it's off for now until their next iteration probably :)
Samurai
Reactions:

Post by Samurai »

Honestly, I am not sure there is going to be a "next iteration" is the sense that there will be a totally new machine, unless the company changes their ways soon. They are a new small company and are terribly mismanaged IMO. There is almost no support from the company, though there is a 3rd party forum dedicated to The Beast. They have their own "official" forums, but it is mainly builders posting and zero response from the company. The company barely meets their own 1 kickstarter update per week mandate, that only coming after backers all getting upset over the lack of updates... Their response is they are "so busy" that they can't even update their kickstarter page and respond to emails. Basically, the company is a mess... basically... typical kickstarter that gets a lot of money.

In the end, I probably plan on building my own at some point. I have a design I am working on that has 2-4 heads and is about the same build area as The Beast, but will be a little bigger machine.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Hmm....a 3rd party forum...where else has such a thing happened? :) (We didn't like the forum changes on Ultimaker so we made this site)
Samurai
Reactions:

Post by Samurai »

Well our beast forum is http://3dbeastbuilders.boards.net/

The official "forum" is http://cultivate3d.freeforums.org/... This one is a little humorous.

BTW, as for updated versions, they are already on version 2 of some of the parts. Us that got our "early", well earlier than others after waiting over 9 months and 4 months late, can buy the upgrades... :P
Samurai
Reactions:

Post by Samurai »

Oh, here is a print that show what their tuned Beast can print...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZU3OTBlqeo
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

That's neat but since it can print large...I'd love to see it print something large :)
Samurai
Reactions:

Post by Samurai »

ASk and you shall receive... It is on their website... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1oFS-_ovY

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”