Hot end video

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Hot end video

Post by Izzy »

Hi guys, I watched a YouTube video the other week I think it was taken at a trade show and was a presentation by E3d (I think) and talked about the hot end, and how the filament behaves etc at the melting point.
I can't find it on this site nor the ultimaker forum but I may be looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place. :roll:
Do any of you have the link I can grab?
Cheers Izzy
Izzy
Reactions:

Re: Hot end video

Post by Izzy »

:roll: just had a cup of coffee and it dawned on me to check my YouTube history ;-)
Found the link so here it is
Enjoy, worth thinking about for those increasing the feed rate and pressure :geek:
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Izzy wrote:Enjoy, worth thinking about for those increasing the feed rate and pressure :geek:
Saw this post?
https://ultimaker.com/en/community/2007 ... ange-issue
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Interresting...but boy was that video annoying to listen too with all that background chatter...
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That background chatter makes it hard to follow....I had to bail out

Funny...I've searched YouTube for all sorts of tutorials (SolidWorks, Visual Studio/C# and so on)...it's tough to find a good one that hasn't been disrupted with bad music, a heavy accent or winds up being a teaser for a paid video series!

While i hate the fee, I love being a Lynda.com subscriber for learning :)
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

@LePaul --> another reference for 12V Fans working on UMO :lol:
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

It was that image of the fillament all over the print head that made me think of the video.
All those users that are over gearing their feeders to print faster when that not really the right area. For each filament I run both a temperature test and volumetric flow test to find the ideal settings. Then based about 50mm/s I have my "ideal" settings, when you look at this video on the print head it's not just the federate in that effects the flow out, Anders has shown this with the effort and design he has but in on his nozzles and his Jet nozzles, the more you try to force through the nozzle will increase the pressure but not necessarily increase the out flow.
I haven't had much problem with using the origional feeder motor on my UM2, I'm running 'Roberts' modification feeder and I'm about to get a hobbed gear for it, but other than that is running well. :-)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Damn, sorry to say E3D, but every time I see those hotends I can't help disliking that design and wanting to invent something better.
It just feels so much like the cheapest thing possible to manufacture on simple machines, usability and ease of doing repairs really comes second, sorry to say again.
My colleagues asked me so many times now if we can somehow fit the UM2 hotend on the Delta Tower that I am actually considering to do that.. :-)

Regarding the original E3D nozzles I believe they were made with that two step design only because that was the cheapest way to make them (two standard drills).
Carl actually started off more or less copying that design, but after some discussion we decided to make our own design (the jet nozzle).
It was kept compatible with the E3D outer dimensions but has that cone inside instead among other changes.

To be completely honest, the only research I did was to look up all other designs available, test as many as possible and combine that with my experience to get some reasonable dimensions :-)
The 60 degree angle seems to be common among manufacturers and is a suitable choice if you want to get away reasonably cheaply regarding tooling.
E3D actually continued remarkably long with their two step design, considering all competitors had the cone shape from start, even though the two step design seems to work quite well too.

And the full metal hotends with PLA, well maybe it works with a really powerful direct feeder and 1.75 mm filament, but with bowden and 3 mm filament at least I am unable to get it to work reliably. A thin PTFE liner inside the E3D hotend made it work like a charm though :-)
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Anders Olsson wrote:My colleagues asked me so many times now if we can somehow fit the UM2 hotend on the Delta Tower that I am actually considering to do that.. :-)
That should not be too hard to do, the delta tower is large enough that you probably could just remove the plastic parts and the bearings from a UM2 hotend and replace with a custom top piece for the delta with a bowden coupling :-) (or you could do it the fancy way and make custom aluminum parts for just a single hotend)
Anders Olsson wrote:Regarding the original E3D nozzles I believe they were made with that two step design only because that was the cheapest way to make them (two standard drills).
I am pretty sure that they did just that since the two steps both if i remember right do have a 118 degree angle which is a standard drill point angle
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

LePaul wrote:That background chatter makes it hard to follow....I had to bail out

Funny...I've searched YouTube for all sorts of tutorials (SolidWorks, Visual Studio/C# and so on)...it's tough to find a good one that hasn't been disrupted with bad music, a heavy accent or winds up being a teaser for a paid video series!

While i hate the fee, I love being a Lynda.com subscriber for learning :)
Good VS examples and lessons placed at Microsoft.com. And you can always use a MSDN, of course.
Also, why not to use a Courcera? They pretty good, imo.

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”