Easy sound deadening

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
PNWMaker
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Creality CR10 S (Dual Z)

Easy sound deadening

Post by PNWMaker »

I've seen a lot of videos and some discussion on how to make 3D printers quieter, usually it involves replacing fans, replacing the NEMA motor mounts with rubberized mount plates, putting it inside an enclosure, etc etc.

My CR10 isn't especially loud, but I came across a super simple way to reduce its sound significantly that I think would work for any printer. I can't be the only one to have done this but I also haven't seen this "fix" mentioned anywhere else. .

The box the CR10 came in had a really nice sheet of shipping insulation across the very top. It's a dense, open-cell insulation and I noticed that it's the perfect size to slip under the printer. So I tried it.

Putting the sheet insulation under the printer made a huge difference- it reduced the sound to the point where if I'm in the same room with it aside from the fan all I can hear are the steppers quietly humming along. That's all I did, no replacement parts needed.

Home Depot and Lowes have stuff very similar to the insulation for a few dollars a sheet. Note that it's a soft, semi-stiff material, not rigid like styrofoam. I would think any good foam would have the same effect.
Attachments
insulation-2.jpeg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Easy sound deadening

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Sounds good.

Might try that on my 3D Printer enclosure, not sure how much quieter they can get though.
Basically all I hear now is a quite hum when I am in the room with the both 3D printers running.

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”