CoreXY + a-la-um2frame + Internal rails + Duet3D = Woa

Discussion of General / RepRap style printers! FDM/FFF printers that aren't gigantic!
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

CoreXY + a-la-um2frame + Internal rails + Duet3D = Woa

Post by Neotko »

Writing about the 3d gecko remind me of this sexy printer build I saw today on the Duet3D forums

https://www.duet3d.com/forum/thread.php?id=1905

Check this printer quality and videos.. 150mm/s and that quality? Duet3D + Corexy + stable frame = woa.

What do you think @jonnybischof ? The prints and videos are quite impressive. Ofc I can't be more a fan of the duet3d, the steppers and the easy configuration of the board are just awesome (IMO).
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Re: CoreXY + a-la-um2frame + Internal rails + Duet3D = Woa

Post by jonnybischof »

The build looks awesome indeed!
Probably very tedious and complex to build (so, not a good idea to sell these as diy kits) but the result is really impressive. It's close to what I wanted to build for my third prototype. But I didn't even get past assembling the aluminum frame - it was too much of a pain to get everything assembled perfectly.
He used 1515 extrusions which I would personally find to be too flimsy - But that's only until the panels are mounted. Note that Misumi 1515 and 2020 rails cost pretty much the same - smaller is less common which makes 2020 the better choice for price / performance ratio:
HFS3-1515-375 is 1.61 EUR
HFS5-2020-375 is 1.71 EUR

HFS5 is more than 2.5 times as strong as HFS3.

I also use M4 screws instead of M3, because they are infinitely stronger, but not much larger. Note that I usually tighten my frame screws "quite" a lot... xD

His printhead and extruder drive are huge. Really impressive that he can still achieve high speeds. I wonder how much of a difference it can be when you have a much smaller and lighter printhead.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

jonnybischof wrote: August 14th, 2017, 3:42 am
His printhead and extruder drive are huge. Really impressive that he can still achieve high speeds. I wonder how much of a difference it can be when you have a much smaller and lighter printhead.
I would love to see a zge on that or a 60grms pancake motor.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

What about when those belts settle in and wear a bit/stretch?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Making a tension system on the corexy is much eaythan the um since it has only 2 belts that tight near the hotend. The problem is the find the right amount of tension. About how to calculate that there’s no much info.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

This is, apart from the corexy stuff, what I have been pondering about for a while back in my already overloaded head 😝

Albeit my goal was kind of a UM2 Go sized printer that I could build with my son that he could then use himself.
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

I like the basics of the design, but i also dislike some things. For example, why use no top plate like in the UM design? That would make sure that it is square and add quite a lot of rigidity. Also, i would not trust that single rail with being rigid enough with a large head like that, i would at least add a small aluminium profile.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Man I would love to buy a frame or have access to cnc stuff to make something like this. In the end there’s really very few places to just click/buy a setup like that. And nearby fablabs here in Madrid are very weak. So no option to go cnc a frame to save cash.

Or the most important missing skill for me, being able to design it.

Indeed a top part could add more stability, weight always help also.

I would be just really happy to be able to print at 100mm/s without the ugly rigging I get at 50-70 but ofc my printers frames are wood.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

I have begun collecting parts for a DICE, and it will be built with high-quality parts only, so HIWIN rails etc. Recieved the water jet cut parts a few weeks ago, and i have a order with René for the water cooling parts :-)

That one will most probably be able to print at 100mm/s without any noticeable ringing ;)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Meduza wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:08 pm I have begun collecting parts for a DICE, and it will be built with high-quality parts only, so HIWIN rails etc. Recieved the water jet cut parts a few weeks ago, and i have a order with René for the water cooling parts :-)

That one will most probably be able to print at 100mm/s without any noticeable ringing ;)
Yeah that's pretty small and compact. I like that design.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Oh, forgot about the DICE...that's a really neat little printer :)
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

LePaul wrote: August 14th, 2017, 8:49 am What about when those belts settle in and wear a bit/stretch?
That should only happen if you use belts beyond their rated loads (or have some really crappy belts). If not - they aren't supposed to stretch noticeably.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Meduza wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:08 pm I have begun collecting parts for a DICE, and it will be built with high-quality parts only, so HIWIN rails etc. Recieved the water jet cut parts a few weeks ago, and i have a order with René for the water cooling parts :-)
Where did you order the plates from?

All the interesting 3D-printers I have found requires plates to be cut. And I don't have tools for that, nor do I know any place where it doesn't cost a fortune to have them made.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

@nilrog I got mine from http://ekvs.se

Return to “General / RepRap Printers”