A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by ivan.akapulko »

LePaul wrote:Well tonight is the is the big premiere of the Star Wars: Rogue One film

Yesterday a local TV crew came to my house to see my R2-D2, ask about the build, what charitable work we do, how the BB-8 build is coming and asking about 3D printing. The camera person and reporter were both beautiful young ladies that didn't strike me as being big into science fiction....but that all proved wrong once they met R2-D2 (I just love the reactions people have!) And my kitten Molly was a big hit, I think they would have taken her home had I let them! But they asked a lot of good questions and recorded a lot of video of the Ultimaker 2+ in action, printing one of BB-8's pieces.

Tonight, Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon I am at the theater with a small group of people. We're partnering with Children's Miracle Network so for a donation to the charity, they will photograph you with R2-D2 (or if you want to use your own camera).

It's a lot of work for me but all goes to a good cause.
There is any link for watching these video?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Asides their Facebook link....their website. I'll find it when I have a moment :-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Very nice!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Day two at the theater collecting donations for charity

Two fun pictures to share.

From opening night showing...
IMG_4962.JPG
And a very excited little girl with the prop BB-8 and R2
IMG_4964.JPG
We are going through a very cold period of weather. -10F and wind!

Two more days with my droids raising money....but putting big smiles on little faces. :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Survived the four days at the movie theater for the premiere weekend! We also raised some money for children's charities!

If you get to see the Rogue One movie, I think you will like it!
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

So how far are you into the new droid build? :-P
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

LePaul wrote: ...

And a very excited little girl with the prop BB-8 and R2

Two more days with my droids raising money....but putting big smiles on little faces. :)
Priceless!
That's when you know what (or who) you're really doing all the work for ;)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

nilrog wrote:So how far are you into the new droid build? :-P
Well a couple pieces into it. With so many curved surfaces, that's a lot of support material.

The gent who designed the frame has come up with an injection molded one. About $500 That would save me many weeks of printing right there!

With a large prop like this, the larger printers (Raise3D and others) become very appealing. This is why I've mentioned, numerous times, that if Ultimaker made the Extended that had a larger X/Y foot print, that would be great!

Many of us builders have had to resort to cut up versions of the parts, so they will fit in the printer. Then assemble/glue together. But with a large round droid, I really prefer less glue, more large parts (less chance of failure!)

The Ultimaker 3's PVA support sounds great, but only for PLA. I know other support materials are in the works to support non-PLA. The big downside to the Ultimaker 3 is the bed is smaller than the 2+ for support use. (I'm a little surprised they didn't make the printer a bit bigger to maintain the same print volume with both nozzles.
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

If you used a dual extrusion machine, instead of the Ultimaker PVA you could use E3D scaffold wich is supposed to work well in combination with their Edge filament, so it could very well work with other Co-polyester filaments. Or Polymaker PolySupport that is especially made to be used as breakaway support.

And on the topic of making the Ultimaker 3 slightly larger, it would actually had been causing larger problems than you might imagine, a slightly larger printer would for example had caused the shipping boxes to be larger than 40*40cm, wich in turn would had caused Ultimaker a lot more expensive shipping in Europe since it then would not have been possible to ship 6 printers per layer on a 80*120cm eur-pallet anymore.

If they are to make a larger printer it should not be slightly larger but substantially larger.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Amen to larger printer :)
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

If it was that easy, they would've done it already ;)
The Ultimaker gantry struggles a lot - on the low-ish quality level linear hardware they are using - if you make it bigger. The longer the shafts, the more error you get from their banana forms.. Shafts are never 100% straight, and their straightness (if specified at all) is defined per length (usually 300mm). The longer they are, the more error tolerance for the shaft to still be considered "good".
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

I personally don't believe in bigger printers. Making it twice as big in every direction makes the printing time 8x longer.

Lets take an example;
Say we have a big print, that takes 20 days to print on a very big printer. The success rate is 90%.
If we want to be 95% sure that we have a result, the time required to do this is 40 days.
If we were to do the same on 1 smaller machine, it could be done in 22 days (We expect that 2 prints fail, which need to be re-done).

It's also much easier to scale the small printer, as they tend to be significantly cheaper (twice the size usually means > 2x price). If one machine breaks down, no issue, the rest can fill up the slack somewhat.

For this to work, you would need far better subdivision algorithms, but that is a problem that is far easier to solve than improving the speed of a big printer by factor 10.
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by MTVDNA »

LePaul wrote:"When I press the buttons, he does his thing. I used to have it set up so doors opened and I had a holoprojector in there at one point," says Bussiere.
What happened to the projector?
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Return to “General Discussion”