A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by Blizz »

Hmm, had the Prusa i3 Mk2 for a week or 2 and the first PEI sheet (ultem) on the printbed is already ruined (some pieces broke of when removing a print). They cost quite a bit to replace and if every one of those is only going to last me a couple weeks... Sjeez. There won't be a glass protector for the bed because it messes up their auto calibration apparently. Bit of a bummer, was pretty happy with the printer before that (except that most pieces are in printed plastic and several were cracked on delivery).
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That's interesting, of the people who have posted about their Prusa's and posted a lot of prints, I haven't heard them mention wearing out their PEI bed
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

My key experiences with my PEI print surface:
* NEVER try to remove a print before the bed has COMPLETELY cooled down. It remains super sticky until it is really cooled down. If you're in a hurry, you can use cold spray. But I'm not sure if using that has some negative effect on the printed part's strength or not.
* Some materials are much less suitable than others. I have been printing PLA onto my very first PEI sheet for ever now (still using it, everything fine). But I noticed that CF XT sticks too well and will rip out some fibers every time. So I haven't used XT anymore since then...
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I don't hear a lot about people using XT these days. I was going to use that but I read so many problems with it. Just using their Carbon Fiber version was enough of a headache for me. (But you guys know my luck!)

As more and more reviews filter in for the Prusa, the heated bed seems to be the biggest win, as well as the calibration/alignment system

The real cons seem to be the use of zip ties to hold in bearings. It's cheap. It works. But I have seen two posts where builders have made their assembly that uses a Delrin bearing. Nice innovation from customers right there. I'm curious how well their fan system works with other non-PLA materials.

We're getting our first big snow storm today. 7 to 10 inches (still coming down), which translates to roughly 17 - 25 cm for my Euro friends :)
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I was trained in both metric and imperial for measurements, but you didn't describe the type of snow using the Inuit classification scale
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

My time is really short these days, but I finally posted my improved heated bed mosfet relay on YM:
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/proto ... t-relay-v3

Anyone wanna test it? :P
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well tonight is the is the big premiere of the Star Wars: Rogue One film

Yesterday a local TV crew came to my house to see my R2-D2, ask about the build, what charitable work we do, how the BB-8 build is coming and asking about 3D printing. The camera person and reporter were both beautiful young ladies that didn't strike me as being big into science fiction....but that all proved wrong once they met R2-D2 (I just love the reactions people have!) And my kitten Molly was a big hit, I think they would have taken her home had I let them! But they asked a lot of good questions and recorded a lot of video of the Ultimaker 2+ in action, printing one of BB-8's pieces.

Tonight, Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon I am at the theater with a small group of people. We're partnering with Children's Miracle Network so for a donation to the charity, they will photograph you with R2-D2 (or if you want to use your own camera).

It's a lot of work for me but all goes to a good cause.
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Hope you have a good weekend, where is the photo of you with the two young ladies? Failing that a good one of Molly with R2D2 :-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well one of them posted on Facebook the selfie they took with R2
jackie ABC .jpg
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Enjoy the premiere! :)

I saw Rogue One yesterday as it premiered on the 14th here, but my lips are sealed.
I never got to see R2-D2 there though :(
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

2016-12-15 17.16.05.jpg
I was able to play with a huge Wasp Delta printer that will stay for 3 month at my workplace (Makerversity, Amsterdam) :-P :-P :-P
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I always wonder how huge printers like that avoid problems like wind/drafts and heating such a huge bed!
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

it is standing in the hallway, so lots of draft... Bed is set at 70 degrees. The nozzle is 3mm, that makes the plastic lines adhere very well. They told me that a model made with a solid bottom was very hard to remove. My model was just a spiralize fast model and did adhere well.
MTVDNA
Reactions:

Post by MTVDNA »

I didn't really realize how big it is until I noticed the stairs next to it... Wow, that thing is huge!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Return to “General Discussion”