A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by ivan.akapulko »

LePaul wrote:Good day, gents!

What's new? How'd you like my thoughts on the Ultimaker 3?
Well, still miss Molly in a frame ;-) And sounds like in a middle you switch microphone (or adjust volume).
Why do not use R2-D2 in the shooting vids? He had to bring you these printed items on a plate, like a butler. :ugeek:
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

You lug a 212 pound down a flight of stairs ...
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

And looking at your hernia doctor gleefully deprives you of pension savings, lol.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

At our age, we take notice of urologists with small hands. :)
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

HA!
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Any Grado headphone lovers out there?
Will start a little project to give some love to the unquestionably awesome sounding, but awfully built Grado SRxxe series :)
There are multiple things on thingiverse, but I want to take it up a notch with the plastics design.. Anyone wants to tune in?

/edit: First step - get some material. Gonna get an SR80e today. And a cheap AKG headphone will be sent off to me today. I don't really want to break my PS500 making a prototype... :P
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

jonnybischof wrote:Any Grado headphone lovers out there?
Will start a little project to give some love to the unquestionably awesome sounding, but awfully built Grado SRxxe series :)
There are multiple things on thingiverse, but I want to take it up a notch with the plastics design.. Anyone wants to tune in?

/edit: First step - get some material. Gonna get an SR80e today. And a cheap AKG headphone will be sent off to me today. I don't really want to break my PS500 making a prototype... :P
Why not email the manufacturer? Extra advertising and a good hype in huge makers community always to the point.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I wanted to share this television clip with my friends here.

As you know, I do a lot of charity work with R2-D2 and also in my Batman costume.

This was the final television telethon for Children's Miracle Network. Telethons aren't as popular as they used to be...with so many channels, people just aren't tuning in like they used to. The charity has other ways/events they can do to raise funding.

So, here is me, on LIVE television, being interviewed. (And in my mind, I am trying to not talk too fast yet catch all the queues from the producers off camera!)

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Okay better microphone and a short video plugging the forum

jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

ivan.akapulko wrote:
jonnybischof wrote:Any Grado headphone lovers out there?

Why not email the manufacturer? Extra advertising and a good hype in huge makers community always to the point.
I might write them when the project is done. It's a small family business and I'm confident someone would actually care about that mail. We'll see...
They actually don't do any advertising, apart from some youtube videos. But for now I'd already be happy to find another maker who owns a Grado and wants to join in making it even better.

@Paul: You're a rockstar! ;)
Do you know the e-nable project? I think it's one of the best children's charity projects from the maker community. One day when I have more time ( :-? ) I have to engage more into that. I started drawing a hand of my own, but will need someone to try it on and give feedback for improvement. The Swiss people aren't very open and it's difficult to find a candidate, but we'll see...
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I love the e-nable stuff....I printed one out and need to assemble it!
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

From an engineering standpoint, I missed a lot on the hand I printed (it was a cyborg beast), but actually building one and meeting up with the recipient was just... awesome...

Well we'll see, maybe I make my own design some time..

But for now... *drum rolls*
upGrado v0.jpg
Project upGrado has started!
Bought some replacement cushions for Beyerdynamic DT770 phones and simply cut some cardboard to a donut shape that fits both the Grado's cups and the cushion's contour, and fixed it with zip ties. Now my guinea-pig SR80e is not only VERY comfortable to wear, but also sounds better than before because the Beyerdynamic cover foam is much better (and thinner) and the over-ear from on-ear conversion puts the sound to your ear better.
Next up is a 3D printed replacement cup that accepts the DT770 cushions in a more stylish and permanent fashion, and will hopefully further increase the sound quality by making it thicker than the original.
Final step will be to integrate an AKG K92 headband (yeah, I actually bought one of these just for the headband...) and have the ultimate headphone for just about 250$. They beat the **** out of pretty much any headphone you compare them to :)

/edit:
AKG is gonna hate me for buying one of their headphones and only using their cardboard box and the headband :lol:

/edit2:
upGrado v0 comparison.jpg
Here's another shot with comparison to the original cushion.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Paul, its a much, much better audio! Congrats!

2Jonny: why Grado? Whats key benefits in comparsion with, for example, AKG or Plastronics?
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

Well, you have to hear them to believe them. But imho they are by far the best sounding headphones you can buy. I compared the SR80e to some other "trending" phones in a similar price range when I bought them last week. Nothing changed since the last 8 years or so when I got my last Grado (PS500). And not since over 15 years when I bought my first SR80. They are the best :D
Grados are not comfortable (out of the box), not very well built (at least not the cheaper plastic ones like the SR80e) but the sound just blows you away. They are great for pretty much any style of music (especially when you use a good hifi amp with bass and treble knobs), but you get the least value from them when you listen to the modern stuff like Rap, RnB, or electronica (all you need for these is a subwoofer :P).

Of course "sound quality" is subjective. But as a matter of fact, most people who know Grado love them, and only few people would say there's a headphone that sounds better than a Grado. And there's that one important thing about them: they're open-back, so you can't use them outdoors. You must be indoors in a quiet room.
Btw, for outdoors I use a pair of RHA MA600 in-ears. These are absolute killer for their price. Slightly lacking in bass compared to the usual in-ears, and they are a little bit less isolating than others. But the sound is really good.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

As I posted in the News section....did the phpBB upgrade to 3.2.0

Here's some of what's new...

https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/

Return to “General Discussion”