A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by reibuehl »

Since particulate matter (fine dust) pollution is a big thing here in Stuttgart, I decided to join luftdaten.info, an Open Data initiative that measures these particles. The sensors are dirt cheap - pun intended :) - and mine is measuring every minute now and contributes to the project.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Looks like a dual color cookie dough printer :D?
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Blizz wrote:Anders: I hope that after (or during) your metal printer training, you get to share some videos/pictures... So curious about those things! :)
We did the first test print on the training today:

:-)

I am extremely busy right now, so I don't have much time do go into detail, but the process is much like printing something with the Formlabs printers.
Both Preform and Cura are way more developed and convenient to use than the EOS software though (!).
For me, who knows which steps the software is supposed to perform, it is not that much of a problem.
But for users new to 3D-printing, having to perform the slicing and uploading in three different programs is a bit confusing.
They said EOS are working on an improved software though.

And one more thing: Don't even consider having a metal (powder) printer at home!
Just the explosion hazard of handling powders (special wet vacuum cleaner needed) and changing extremely flammable filters full of nanoparticles was enough to convince me metal printing is not going to take place in my home, ever..

It is a very interesting machine though!
I am hoping so bad that one day I will be allowed to print whatever I want, just for a day or so :-)
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

In the early days of developing the titanium for these printers they had a small workshop in a field built like a shoebox so the roof would lift off in an explosion. Several printers and workshops were lost until it was perfected, but that's going back about 15 years now.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

I just went back to the Ultimaker forum, hoping that they had fixed the navigation that has been broken for more than one week...but noo :-(

Why, if they can't test...and more importantly...fix things quickly...do they insist on writing their own forum software? :roll:
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

nilrog wrote:I just went back to the Ultimaker forum, hoping that they had fixed the navigation that has been broken for more than one week...but noo :-(

Why, if they can't test...and more importantly...fix things quickly...do they insist on writing their own forum software? :roll:
For the same reason they insist on making automagicall cura options or they insist on keeping that Warranty claim on the website that says that using non UM filaments breaks the Warranty.

So many 'why' lately...
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

'nuff ranting...

It's school vacation this week and today we got some snow...so before it all melted away, me and the kids went out and had some fun :-)
IMG_0788.JPG
(I miss the winters from my childhood...with "s**tload of snow)
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Neotko wrote:
nilrog wrote:I just went back to the Ultimaker forum, hoping that they had fixed the navigation that has been broken for more than one week...but noo :-(

For the same reason they insist on making automagicall cura options or they insist on keeping that Warranty claim on the website that says that using non UM filaments breaks the Warranty.

So many 'why' lately...
Really? So they advertise with an open filament system but now also let it break warranty?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

Uh? What? I'm gonna talk to some people...
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Wow, that's a fascinating thread and a very good read
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I wonder how many people who bought UM2's and had notorious feeder issues/under extrusion problems felt the 2+ upgrade should have been free (or heavily discounted), since it was a known issue?
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Reasonably priced would have been already okay. I would have bought one for my UM2 if it would have been in the 100-150 EUR range. 400 EUR is just crazy in my opinion - especially since I do not need a lot of the parts that they put into it. And before Meduza points it out again: I haven't found a dealer yet that would sell me the parts that I need for the upgrade - I asked 3DVerkstan via email and got a "nej" from them too ;-)
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

3DVerkstan tried to upsell me on the whole kit when I asked about the heater, spacer and TPM coupler when I wanted to refurbish my UM2 head that I bought used (with an Olsson Block fitted) :)

But at least buying those parts was no problem. As for the rest...the only other interesting part would have been the feeder, but with an UMO+ that part is no upgrade. The community options available, and (hopefully) soon available, are a lot more interesting :)
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Actually, Ultimaker told us specifically not to sell the 2+ feeder separately at the time of release of the 2+, it was only for warranty and service replacements, and they never sent a update that said it was OK for us to sell it separately to end customers, so our sales staff acted accordingly (suggesting buying the whole kit).

After Sandervg wrote on the forums that it should be possible to buy the feeder from resellers, I pointed out that we had received no such information, and that was the case until this Tuesday when we finally got a written confirmation following a direct request of clarification on the topic of selling the feeder+feeder motor assembly.

So if you contact 3Dverkstan tomorrow you will be able to buy those.

Return to “General Discussion”