A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by LePaul »

drayson wrote:
LePaul wrote:ATA Armor (I an PM you his email) is what I have...he's pretty backed up on armor kits. You'd think a new movie came out or something!
Is this a US manufacturer? I´m looking for such an armor since years but seems to be out of my budget. How much was ist? Could you maybe forward the contact to my att. too??
I have a friend in Germany who has quite an armor collection. I would ask where he sources his items. Maybe it is cheaper?

Here's the info on the ATA Armor (ataworks@yahoo.com):

Helmet kits are $135 plus shipping and include neck and brow trim, lens material, hardware to build it, and mic tips. No decals, sorry. Armor kits with a helmet are $530 plus shipping. The armor is pulled from a gloss ABS plastic which does not have to be painted, and everything is pulled in 80 gauge/2mm plastic. I also have sandtrooper kits available upon request. Black ABS suits are an option and are $550 plus shipping for a full kit.

All prices are in US dollars. I don't take prepayments, so if your interested I can put you on a waiting list. I generally have helmets on hand and there is an eleven month wait on armor kits.

Thanks

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173 ... mor001.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173 ... mor003.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173 ... mor005.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173 ... mor004.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173 ... mor006.jpg
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

ok... those are the prices I'm familiar with - unfortunately the WAF si veeery low so it has to be cheaper.
If you get an info from Germany maybe I´m in a better position... :-)

Nevertheless, app. 2 years back I got a sith hood for a martial arts show tailored by my mom - nice, black, and perfectly fitting...
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

You've probably already seen this, but Barnacules printed a complete one on Ultimaker (link)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

drayson wrote:I'm thinking since (at least) some years to buy such a small lathe like shown in you picure. As a owner - could you give me some hints if it is worth buying or if something bigger might be better... What is your experience and would you recommendi it?
Well, for tiny things like nozzles it is a suitable machine. It works best for small diameters, up to maybe 10-12 mm or so.
I would like to have a larger lathe too for larger things, but I simply don't have space for it.

The lathe I have is sold under many brands, it is most likely china made, and maybe not the most precise thing there is.
If you can get your hands on an old second hand European jewelers lathe with a set of tools and accessories that is most likely a better buy.
It is difficult to find good second hand miniature lathes in Sweden though, so I ended up buying this one, and it gets the job done for sure :)

It can be a bit difficult to find accessories and good tools for the 6x6 mm mount, which would also be a reason to go for a slightly larger lathe.
There is a Germany company who has the most common things you would need though: http://gg-tools.com
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Oh lathe, someday I should get one. I'm saving to get a nomad 883 enclosed for my shop and for my mods. To be able to 3d drill aluminium or wood could be so fun. I wonder how hard it's to make a 4D very small cnc to cut plastics like ptfe.

My day btw was great, a lot of keychains ordered, ultimakers printing faber with zero errors and glueing some bowie gifts for the customers. So a really good day :)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Regarding multi-axis mini CNC-machines, I would have ordered this thing long time ago if I was living in the US: http://www.pocketnc.com
:)

Wow, I just read that they will start shipping internationally!
(this will be difficult to explain to my wife.. :-? )
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

My friend has a 6ft x 3ft CNC machine (2D) for signmaking, primarily for wood but the spindle is a beast and works fine for plastics and soft metal like aluminum. We've used it to CNC 0.25 inch aluminum plate for both of my R2-D2's frames and various other pieces. We daydream at the Tormach website (http://www.tormach.com/) frequently since it can change bits and ever has add ons for rotating the part of cuts on the other axis.
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

I actually backed the Tooli on Kickstarter to start out with CNC and see if it's anything for me. Eagerly waiting for it.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

I've been thinking about building a CNC router for quite some time now. Will probably start drawing it up very soon. It'll probably come out way too expensive because Misumi, but I need something very sturdy and vibration-free. Having trouble cutting HPL plates - the tools keep breaking after a few minutes of cutting, no matter what I do.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Just got the sign-off from my CFO for a CNC mill, so it's way too early to open negotiation for a lathe :roll:
But one day...
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Just slept about 12 hours... probably needed after last nights sleep of about 90 minutes...
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

I think my next attack of gear acquisition syndrome will result in me buying a Shapeoko 3. The only thing that holds me back is their exorbitant international shipping fees. I still refuse to pay 400-500 USD in shipping (and taxes on top of that) for a 1000 USD item. :evil:
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

You mean they have raised their shipping fees recently? I was looking at buying one and got a shipping price of about 150$ or something in the vicinity, wich seemed fair, and i am holding out for the new Shapeoko 3 XL (the extra wide one on the right), but if they raised the price to 500$ shipping i will probably look at something else...

Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

If you are looking towards that kind of CNC (Belt driven on rails) there are some other 'groove-rail' based machines like the Openbuild OX, you can source parts yourself or buy kits -- you can find the parts directly in Europe as well (Like e.g. this one)...

It is the same type of architecture as the Shapeoko and you can make about any size...
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

Anders Olsson wrote:Regarding multi-axis mini CNC-machines, I would have ordered this thing long time ago if I was living in the US: http://www.pocketnc.com
:)

Wow, I just read that they will start shipping internationally!
(this will be difficult to explain to my wife.. :-? )
How cute... damn, want one... the only thing is, I don´t think it will work at steel too :-)
Hmmm... my WAF (wife acceptance factor) is so low at the moment - probably somewhere in the middle of the earth - but this machine might worth thinking of it...

Return to “General Discussion”