A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by reibuehl »

Anders Olsson wrote:It would be nice with a "constant speed" setting in Cura for these materials, since it is first of all not obvious that new Cura does this on all printers, and second of all a bit inconvenient to show and adjust all those settings.
Just for my understanding: Does that mean that if I use an unmodified Cura with my UM2, it will use settings that are sub-optimal since the default settings are optimized for the UM3? Or do I misunderstand this?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Um2 and um3 settings are different. For example the accel/yerk control isn't available by default for um2.
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Ah, good. :-)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Actually, I generally use old Cura for the UM2 series, since these speed changes and many other changes were applied to UM2-slicing too in new Cura, which does tend to cause trouble for me a bit too often.

So it is not an UM2/UM3 issue, it is an old/new Cura issue.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

We generate material profiles for each quality. Certain "tricks" that we use for material A won't always work for material B (as you can clearly see in the failed prints by Anders). It's kinda insane how much time & resources we spend on tuning these profiles. The disadvantage of this is of course that new materials also need a lot of tweaking.

Cura already has the option to use constant speed profiles. A bit of profile magic is required, but it's not that hard. You can either create a profile with fixed values or use =print_speed as value in the profile.
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Well at the moment I'm printing a part for a Ferrari 456,
The part is no longer available so I was approached on my hub by a local restorers garage, initially they wanted to know if I could scan it, but I don't have a scanner, but looking at the part I said I could measure it up, create a CAD model and print it, the initial models were good, but as the origional was damaged before we were not 100% sure about the mountings. After an initial test fit we were very close and have a better idea so just refining the model know and another quick test before swapping to the material colour they want to use for it to be then over painted.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Well we had some sadness yesterday

I got a message notifying me that a boy R2-D2 and I had visited in the hospital years ago had died from his cancer

What was really unique about this patient visit was that the local news station wanted to be there, to see what R2-D2 and I do at the hospital.

When the news story aired, it got picked up by the large news stations and went not only nationwide but world wide. The next day, as I was heading up to visit the floor again with R2, a coworker called. He said that there's a picture of the patient with R2 on the home page for AOL.com and other major news sites. I brought my laptop and shared that news with the patient and his family. The look on their faces...just wow. You can't buy that sort of coverage! And it just made their day.

Cancer is such a cruel disease.
aaron.jpg
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

:-(

#fuckcancer
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Below are two photos of the Window switch bezel for the drivers door, modelled and printed for a Ferrari 456.
Attachments
Img_0101.jpg
Img_0100.jpg
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

LePaul wrote:Well we had some sadness yesterday

I got a message notifying me that a boy R2-D2 and I had visited in the hospital years ago had died from his cancer

What was really unique about this patient visit was that the local news station wanted to be there, to see what R2-D2 and I do at the hospital.

When the news story aired, it got picked up by the large news stations and went not only nationwide but world wide. The next day, as I was heading up to visit the floor again with R2, a coworker called. He said that there's a picture of the patient with R2 on the home page for AOL.com and other major news sites. I brought my laptop and shared that news with the patient and his family. The look on their faces...just wow. You can't buy that sort of coverage! And it just made their day.

Cancer is such a cruel disease.

aaron.jpg
Cancer is a terrible thing. As many know, I work in a network of medical diagnostic centers, and every day I see such patients. The worst thing is that cancer patients come already on the third or fourth stage of cancer. Recently had a case of 38-year-old man, who had no health problems. But it turned out that the tumor has metastasized throughout the body. A week later he died. It may not manifest itself for a very long time gradually destroying the body. Therefore it is very important to at least once a year to check health.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

In case you are wondering why I am disappearing from the forum from time to time, it is simply because I am very busy.

We got a few new toys at work lately which requires attention, among other things.

First a new extruder, that I have been stress-testing with boron carbide lately :-)
2017-02-04-0574.jpg
It is in pieces right now since I was a bit optimistic when testing how large ratios of boron carbide it could handle :-?

Next toy is a bit more expensive, they just moved into the new metal printer room today and I singed up for training in two weeks :-)
2017-02-10-0601.jpg
I probably have to be a bit more careful with that one than I have been with 3D-printers so far..
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

It has been a bit quiet here!

Those are some impressive toys!

Since many of my BB-8 Building friends reported such good results, I decided, along with two other friends, to buy a Folger Tech FT-5 Large Scale Printer Kit

Print Area: 300x300x~400mm (12x12x15.75") Build area
Folger-Web-1_original_large.jpg
They gave us a 10% Discount which brings the price down to $449

This would help us BB-8 Builders with the many large pieces we need to print. Others have had outstanding success.

I'm not crazy about building another printer....but after a lot of reading and videos of other builds....I can do this :)

And really, the other options are $3000+ 3D printers like the gCreate gmax and the Raise3D N2 Plus.

Sadly Ultimaker has nothing for larger prints. I've waited and waited. I think their focus is on the multi extrusion and not so much on users that need to print bigger.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

I think Ultimaker's focus is ease of use and high-quality prints rather than a printer that can print big. There is always something you need to sacrifice when designing a 3D-printer...at least when you also factor in the price :)
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Had a crazy idea today that I probably can't get past my better half...although my boys would love it :lol:

A new enclosure for our film projector in the living room based on this model 8-)
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1691788
IMG_0724.JPG
It only takes around 460 hrs to print :-P
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've seen that print and thought about doing it by scaling it way down!

Return to “General Discussion”