Commodore 64 cartridge

Show us your latest print!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Commodore 64 cartridge

Post by LePaul »

I'd love some tips (S3D) on how to make this print look better!

(Look at all the support on the right (I flipped it over so you could see it....peels away nicely)
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6076.JPG
LePaul
Reactions:

Re: Commodore 64 cartridge

Post by LePaul »

I'd really like to make the text look better
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Sand it :)

Also, same answer to the holes of the other print you posted, holes can't be printed with quality on fff.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Edit: you actually can, but is a long history and full of tricks. Best way is, sand it. Also, use gcode preview to see what will happen and avoid wasting material.

Check the gcode view like if was gospel from roman gods. Open the gcode with the print at hand and check what happens vs reality, then adjust.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Look at the layer lines on the left object....?
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Looks like slight underextrusion (lines seem to be spaced too far apart -> either you use a wrong nozzle size setting, or it's underextrusion)

The text would look a bit better if you used only one shell line. However, doing that could get you ugly vertical walls. Gotta try / trade off here. Maybe 2 shells is best?
And as Neotko said - sanding it is a good idea. Sanding works better if you have slight overextrusion compared to underextrusion (you will have to sand off some excess material instead of having to sand it down until the underextrusion holes are gone).

I often use needle files (https://www.brw.ch/3/BRW-ToolShop/1/Cat ... s-VALLORBE) to correct holes and inner corners / features. But these can really mess up your surface so be careful with them.
Note that files have a "cut" indicator (my english grammar is a bit lacking here, hope you understand). English wikipedia doesn't have that information which is weird (german does...).

The basic "cut" indicators are:

00 - very coarse
0 - coarse
1 - bastard (roughing)
2 - second cut (semi-smoothing)
3 - smooth
4 - double smooth cut
5 - super smooth finishing

My file set has a 2 "cut". It doesn't give a very good finish, but is a good compromies between quickly removing material but not totally messing up the surface. Maybe I have to get some higher cut files...
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Also you could just rotate it to 90 degrees. Letters on Z always look better for punch hole txt.

I have developed a trick that lets print punch hole txt very easy and with almost any font, but I don't want to share just yet. Maybe in a few weeks words th a bideo explaining how and why it works.

Return to “Show off your latest print”