Need help creating builtin support

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Need help creating builtin support

Post by reibuehl »

Hi all,

I have created a part that - at least with Cura - seems to be unprintable without adding builtin support :(

The attached STL would need support "Everywhere" in Cura, but since I need to insert two M5 hex nuts at Z=24mm, I can't use that type of support because it would fill the hole for the hex nuts. Is there a trick to get around this without buying Simplify3D...? :)

Best regards,
Reiner
Attachments
SpoolHolder.stl
(608.48 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Need help creating builtin support

Post by LePaul »

Maybe one of the S3D guys can re-do your model in S3D tweaks :)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

As far as I can see, it would need support up to 16.8mm where the rectangular opening closes. Everything above should print fine without support. But I assume there is no "support-until-z-value" plugin for Cura, or?
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Unless your material is really really good at bridging! I took a peek at the model in Cura, it's that center section you're trying to support without the rest that goes to the top?
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Yes, the 12.7x12.7mm rectangular cavity in there is what I would like to support. The holes going up from the bottom to the spaces for the hex nuts cut through that rectangular space.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

There's an option new on 2.4 to temove supports on areas by using an object and assigning a Per Object option to that object. I haven't use it but is there
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I am not sure I understand...
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

2.4 Beta Cura. They found a bad problem with it and removed it from the site.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

LePaul wrote:2.4 Beta Cura. They found a bad problem with it and removed it from the site.
Didn't knew that. Well beta is beta. I saw the option listed on the changelog, using objects to create negative areas where supports don't exist. So you could draw a box on the area that you don't want to get supports.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Here's what Nallath posted

It was moved ofline as we found a pretty nasty bug with support meshes. These could in some cases result in g-code with no Z values (eg; all layers printed on z0), which can do pretty massive damage to the machine.

We already have a fix, so it should be up again today. Sorry about this!
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Back to topic. Other than waiting from r cura 2.4 I would just design my own supports.
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

How would you even get those hex bolts inside the print ?
laying the model down while printing you could pause at height and add the bolts (and would probably stick through the build plate ?)
printing upright would cause the print head to bump into the hex heads if you add them during the print.

if you print the right speed and temp, you might get away with bridging the gap without support, but might impact layer adhesion and the strength of the part.

I sometimes print a filler block that I can put inside a gap for another object, pause at height and put the block in (with tape on the top,
because it is a loose block and has some screw holes, I can take it out without much problem, just don't make the block too tight fit :)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Neotko wrote:Back to topic. Other than waiting from r cura 2.4 I would just design my own supports.
That was my initial idea, but since I do not have experience with this, I was hoping for some advice from people here that have done that before successfully. I would be interested in how to dimension these supports, e.g. how thick do they need to be so that the slicer will not "optimize" them away, how much gap do I need to the actual part so that they break away easily, and such.

I noticed that structures that are just as wide as the nozzle diameter seem to disappear during slicing.
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Xeno wrote:How would you even get those hex bolts inside the print ?
It is nuts, not bolts, so I just need to pause at Z, drop them in and continue the print.
Xeno wrote:I sometimes print a filler block that I can put inside a gap for another object, pause at height and put the block in (with tape on the top,
because it is a loose block and has some screw holes, I can take it out without much problem, just don't make the block too tight fit :)
That is a great idea! If I can't get the built-in support to work, I will try printing a filler piece and wrap it in kapton tape.

Return to “Help me fix this print!”