Shifted Layers

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Shifted Layers

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Yesterday after a long run of no bad Prints

Wavy lines only occur on the Y-Axis.
Wobbly lines.jpg
Filament PLA
Layer Height 0.2mm
Print Speed 72% // slower than I normally 3D Print.

Printed model Rotated Model 90 degrees and can see no shifted layers.

Not G-Code using same Sliced code on 2nd 3D Printer with no Shifted Layers.

Will be using reprap.org/wiki/Shifted_layers] to see if any of the reasons listed are causing the shifted layers.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Shifted Layers

Post by GrueMaster »

First thing I would look at is loose bed or loose belt on the Y axis. I once had a print going on my 3DP-17 that started looking like that 5 layers into the print. Discovered all of the wing nuts for the bed on the table below the printer.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Belts tension is OK.

Replaced all carriage Bearings, Did not help Will keep and put bearings back in stock.
I did a complete Reset on 3D Printer to Factory Defaults after re-flashing Firmware thought maybe Power supply spark corrupted the firmware.
Same, It makes noises when moving the bed by hand this is why I replaced the bearings could still be the Stepper motor.

May be as simple as older motor needs more current to Stepper Driver V-Ref circuit.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I don't know what the Extruder is like on your printer but I had the same problem.
It turned out to be loose screws in the head, just loose enough to allow movement, but not enough to notice during normal use.
I had a problem with the stepper motors slipping but the offset is a lot more than what is on your prints, your looks like about 0.5mm from the photo.
One more point, a few months ago the belt had come off the roller at the other end to the motor and was running on the shaft. belt tension was OK but the sides of the prints were uneven, not quite as bad as yours.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Lez0 wrote: January 17th, 2019, 5:47 am It turned out to be loose screws in the head, just loose enough to allow movement, but not enough to notice during normal use.

I have had this happen before, found and corrected the loose parts. This time it was not the Cause.
Thank you.

I did find a X-Axis Pulley that the key was not aligned with the Screw, and corrected this. Though the problem was on the Y-Axis.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Adjusted the V-Ref current from .420 - .480 even this was working the same maybe a little more Shift.
IMG_2141.JPG

Thinking the V-Ref maybe a little too high Adjusted down to .350 stepper would not move at all.
Tried adjusting back to .420 would not adjust A4982SLPT Driver chip V=Ref Pot, the is Chip dead.

Installed the Backup Controller with Marlin 1.1.5 Setting for Slow Z-Axis Stepper movement, Flashed to Marlin 1.1.7 much better preformance.
Now I get Thermal runaway when I run up to 86 percent print speed slowed down to 60 percent Print Speed with a perfect Print.

Will replace bad A4982SLPT Driver Chip.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

It is really crazy because I printed a Circular Model.
Front.JPG
One on each 3D Printer and both turned out perfect at the normal 86 percent print speed. This was before I killed the Controller.

Controller.jpg

When the Parts come in will remove the driver and re-solder the new A4982SLPT Driver chip.
It has been quite a while sense attempting to soldered a chip that is this small, time to bring out the Magnifying lens Lamp.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have checked the Y-Axis belt for debris
I have checked to Drive belt pulley for debris.
I have Cleaned all Lead-Screws and Smooth-rods of debris.
I have now Replaced all bearing on the Y axis.
I have Replaced the Y-Axis Stepper.
I have Replaced the Controller with a backup controller.
I have re-adjusted the V-Ref constant current.
I have Re-Flashed Controller from Marlin 1.1.7 to Marlin 1.1.9.
I have Printed with the LCD card SD and OctoPrint using Cura 4.0.0.

I guess I have one last item too test this would be the Y-Axis drive belt.

After printing two other models without layer shifting putting the down as a ghost.
Will continue My 3D Printing until another model has layer shifting.

Anyone have any other Ideals still welcome.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I wonder if you have a bent coupler or lead screw...I encountered the z artifact on the new Geeetech A10 and once I had the lead screw out and rolled it on the table..it was clearly out of spec/bent. The coupler was a mess too.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you.
This was going to be my next project. However I blew another A4982SLPT Driver chip, when swapping back you original stepper motors.
No problem just put on another backup controller already flashed with Marlin 1.1.7 Still have one backup left.

I have two almost identical 3D Printers that have two completely different steppers motors that require altering wiring to change this is crazy.
Not sure if this little change was made by the manufacture or previous owner of the 3D Printer though the steppers do function correctly.
Well will mark this down as another dumb move and label the stepper motors for each 3D Printer as "Red or Blu do not swap between Printers".
Just plugging then in and trying to move an axis causes the drivers to blow, before you say it I changed the reference voltage to correct levels.

No problem the Drivers chips have arrived in the USA Now the waiting begins as SpeedPak tracking ends when the package arrived in the USA.
Packages have a habit of disappearing from U.S.A Customs Departments, package cleared customs 6 day ago could arrive any day or disappear.

When I have a little time I was planning on swapping the Smooth rods and lead screws from one machine to the other.
If I can transfer the problem to the Other machine I will be able to determine if the Lead-screws or smooth rods a warped.
The first will be the smooth rods as they are the simplest to exchange between machines.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Trust me, I get the frustration on z axis stuff! In my case, from a brand new printer!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I Knew was not the only one, but on certain days it sure feels like I am.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I doing layer height testing, I 3D Printed some solid Z-Axis couplers to see how they work.

In the photo the Left coupler was printed with Aluminum strain relief couplers. the one that are cut in a spiral shape.
The coupler on the right was printed with the Coupler Installed I just 3D Printed.
2mm Layer Shifting.jpg
You can see the Layer shifting on the right coupler it has a measurement of 2mm which is the rise per revolution of my Lead-screws.
T8-2 single start - 8mm lead screw with a 2mm pitch single start.

Returned the Original Couplers to the 3D Printer perfect Prints again.

I am now going to adjust the Couplers on the 3D Printer that has Layer Shift.
Inserting the 8mm Lead-screw only enough to catch the locking screws.
Inserting the 5mm Stepper motor shaft leaving about 10mm of the Stepper shaft exposed.

A microscopic change for the better nothing to write home about.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Finally the 3D Printer controller parts have arrived in my postal hub, only taking 16 days from china.
Before you say anything it left china on the 18th arrived in the USA on the 21st cleared customs on the 24th in 6 days
It left customs in San Francisco on the 24 traveling to Washington State arriving at the post office on the 2nd in 9 days
My last parcel took the same 2 weeks form the coast to Washington State in 15days.

So I did good getting the package from china. Not quite in record time, the record for a package from china only took a 10 days using SpeedPak.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Found the molded Right Z-Axis lead-screw mount is split down the linear bearing tube. This may be what is causing the Y-Axis layer Shifting.
This would be the smaller of the two Z-Axis lead-screw mounts. Was told that the molded parts were better guess not.

Temporally Epoxied to do some testing will verify with further prints for layer shifting, will ordered or 3D Print replacements.

Z-Axis Holders.jpg

Return to “Help me fix this print!”