Y Axis Problem when printing larger prints

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
Lukester
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2

Y Axis Problem when printing larger prints

Post by Lukester » May 20th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Hello!

This is my first post and I look forward to learning from and working with all of you! :-D

(BTW, If I've posted this in the wrong place please direct my to the correct thread, thanks!)

I recently purchased MonoPrice Select Mini 3D Printer V2 to get my feet wet in the 3D printing world. My first print was successful, it was a little (almost Lego figure size) robot that came with the Cura software. However I've been encountering an issue with larger prints. The issue is that the printer seems to forget where 0 is on its Y-axis. The layers are misaligned on that axis. It almost looks like a deck of cards that have been bumped. (Please see the photo I've attached) I've tried to print two larger objects, both of which appeared to be well within the printer's build volume. The first object I scaled down so that it fit within the build volume, the second (the smartwatch stand on Thingiverse) fit right away. Here's a link to the watch stand I tried to print: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1341065 (When I printed the part I follow the note on Thingiverse and rotated the object to it's only flat side.) When I setup Cura I followed the printer's instructions on configuring the software and used the specifications in the manual, so I think I've got the build volume setup properly in Cura.

Any suggestions on what I should try to fix this? Thank you in advance! :-D

Sincerely,
- Lukester

What my print looked like when I stopped the print job.
IMG_20170520_175107651.jpg
What I was trying to print.
cad watch stand.PNG

Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Re: Y Axis Problem when printing larger prints

Post by Xeno » May 21st, 2017, 3:13 am

That looks like layer shifting, and is probably caused by loose belts or loose grub screws of the pulleys connected to the rods.
if the picture shows the front of the printer, then the problem is on the Y-axis.

GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP-17

Re: Y Axis Problem when printing larger prints

Post by GrueMaster » May 21st, 2017, 5:23 am

I had a similar issue printing a wire frame skull. Y shifted about .5mm 3/4 of the way through, giving the skull an extra brow crease. Almost makes it look like he is wearing glasses.

Return to “Help me fix this print!”