Simplify3d basic guide

Discussion about Simplify 3D software
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Simplify3d basic guide

Post by reibuehl »

For the $150 price tag that they put on it, that is not an unreasonable expectation I would say. Especially since the Ultimaker is not such an exotic printer.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Well the basic profile does work, and the rumble of the Z it's because their starting gcode has a slower speed on the Z home (that's why it sounds different). If you actually read all their manuals, info, docs, links, and read all the settings before touching stuff, it's easy to readjust. But there's a big difference between old cura and s3d. Old cura just prints and S3D need's fine tunning to make stuff that you can't do with old cura.

New cura it's getting better, right now it has 90% of the options I need on a slicer, but on the graphic User Interface it's far from what I need for my daily work.

Ofc also, from the programming point, s3d works on a quite big number of printers, and old cura it's designed for 2 (umo/umo+ & um2).

Also 150€ for a software isn't that expensive, if you really need it. If you can wait until Cura get's there (and for what I know it might easily be better ) then just wait, ofc it might take time to get there.

Also, yea sorry @LePaul you are a lazy lazy lazy printer XDDDD READ MY FREAKING GUIDES AND LINKS MENN!!!!!!

If you really want to use S3D any user should READ, and I mean READ (like properly sit down and read with a coffee)

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367

And soon, as soon new Cura get's more users into their settings (and it has a BIG amount of settings) I bet they will do the same. There's a lot of settings on new cura and s3d that work together and change the print substantially.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Neotko wrote: Also, yea sorry @LePaul you are a lazy lazy lazy printer XDDDD READ MY FREAKING GUIDES AND LINKS MENN!!!!!!

If you really want to use S3D any user should READ, and I mean READ (like properly sit down and read with a coffee)

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367

And soon, as soon new Cura get's more users into their settings (and it has a BIG amount of settings) I bet they will do the same. There's a lot of settings on new cura and s3d that work together and change the print substantially.
See it comments like that ....those that turn me off on S3D.

I know you mean well but this software's learning curve is very steep. The amount of setup one has to do to just get a decent print is enormous. An their tutorial videos are OK....but again, I don't see where they have made much effort to make it easier to use (thus why I find the moniker "Simplify" to be a bit ironic).

Cura takes mere moments to sort out and experiment with. This thing, with their default profile for the Ultimaker, is awful. I mean, you're telling me to grab gcode from Cura to make their BASIC profile work. Really? So the free software is to go from the launch. The software you have to pay for can't even get the basics of one of the most popular 3D printers (Ultimaker) close to right.

I've spent a few evenings reading their documentation and videos. When I have problems, you tell me I'm lazy and need to read more. Seriously?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Dude I was messing with ya.

And no S3D isn't easier, it much harder than old cura and much easier than new cura.

The think it's that of you want better prints, like really improve quality over old cura, that's when you need to read about a lot of settings, because there are many tricks available and each one has its ups and downs.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Oh and btw it took me a month to get perfect and better prints on s3d, and one kilo of prints to the trash on test of settings, process etc. S3D is better? Yes. It's easier? Not at all
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Upload you profile to dropboz and I'll fast tune it. Then we start from there
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Also about getting the gcode. Yeah you need that gcode, but that only because you are use to that starting sequence. I recommend that also because that's what I did to start. After that I learned how to make my gcodes (because at the time I started with the magnetic head changer). Then I adjusted the z speed, feed speed, purge amount etc to make it how I like it.

But anyhow the 'rumble' of the starting sequence it's just the F value near the G1 Z movement. When you change that starting gcode to the one you are use to from cura, then you can start with the other stuff.

I'll get your fff you posted on the previous post and I'll try to adjust the basic stuff so you have a starting point.

But for that I need you also send the profile you used on Cura. That way I can make it 'match' as best as possible so you have a starting point to change stuff.
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

Hi Neotko, I must admit the machine interface when linked with the USB is great for monitoring, and it's easier to set the temperatures to do the atomic cleaning, wish I could set up the two macros to the temperatures so that I could just one click 215, one click 95.
And I wish the DROs were live and gave you the live positions rather than the jog positions.

And I need to remove the X movement and wipe before it goes to print, but I will get to that as I gain confidence with playing with the Gcode.

I did find one little glitch, I printed a longer threaded core for 'Roberts' bearing spool holder assembly, and the inside face wasn't as smooth as the origional shorter one that was produced in Cura, lots of little pips etc.
But other than that I still like S3d, but I haven't tried the very latest Cura other than to update the firmware.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Share a photo and the profile, or ypload the factory file with both and I'll take a look
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've been away most of the day. CNC'ing some parts for people. I'll attach the UMO Heated Bed profile once I get home.

I would hope Simplify3D would work on making the learning curve vastly easier. I shouldn't have to touch Cura to make S3D function. :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Here's the FFF file. Maybe we can tweak this as a community file for all UMO with Heated Bed users :)
Ultimaker UMO with Heated Bed.zip
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Changed file
Ultimaker UMO with Heated Bed-Changed.fff.zip
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.04.png
Extrusion ratio from 0.90 to 1.00 (because why whould anyone want to extrude less than 100% the amount you need? (it's a s3d default I know)
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.22.04.png
The answer to the previous question, S3D sets 0.90 because they also set filament by default to 3,00 (that's just so silly). With the proper size 2.85 and extrusion 1.00 (100%) the thinks just work because that's how S3D guys should think, but they dont... Ok, use REAL numbers for the filament, if it's smaller it will underextrude, if it's bigger it will overextrude).

Underspeed from outlines to infill you had a big leap, you can't change the speed's more than 15% from one to the other or you get weird flow movements that just kill quality. It's doable yea, but it's better to stay on that 15% speed limit. Also you could lower support underspeed to 80% if you get errors on the first supports printed (first layers).

Also changed Travel speed to 150mm/s (REMEMBER TO CHANGE TO MM/S on the preferences menu of S3D) You had 89mm/s. If you get troubles at 150mm/s then move to gt2, mxl sucks. On my machines I use 180mm/s with zero errors, and probably could jump to 200, but since it works I don't play much with it anymore
Changed Z travel speed to 25mm/s because it works (there's much about z speed on ultimaker forums to read about this topic)
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.22.08.png
You didn't had any mimimum retraction distance, you had it at 0.01, that's way too much. For 2.85mm filament you should be ok with 1.50mm. Also activated Avoid crossing so you have some 'combing' like Cura. Deactivate if you don't like.
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.54.png
Basic starting sequence, not big changes here, just made it cleaner. Adjust the amount of mm extruded to purge as YOU see fit. It depends on the material, heat, etc. I always extrude much more, but for 2.85mm I don't know the 'ok' distance to purge. BASICALLY change the E12 to the amount of mm you want. If 12 mm it's too much, change to 3-4-5-6
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.45.png
You had 'BLIP'. BLIP does turn the fans to 100% for 1 second and then changes de speed to the one you set. It's like a KICKSTART (the one you had problems with). Deactivated.

Also, changed the weird settings of mimium cooling. It will lower the speed of layers that print in less than 5 secs (like cura, but old cura only 'stops', s3d changes the speed dinamically to make all layers print at atleast 5secs). Play with this if you want, but with your fans 5 secs seem more than enough per layer. If you increase this the print speed will change. Disabled Fan overrides, since your fans are on at layer 2 at full (14% for you). For other users change this to the amount your heart desires.
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.39.png
You had Heated bed on T1 not T2. Changed. Also Heated bed should be the first and extruder the second, so they heat in order.
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.24.png
You had Outline overlap to 20%. Cura default it's 15%. I play much with it, but depends highly on what you print, and since you dont know enough s3d just leave it there for now. This VALUE inter-actuates with 'ALLOW GAP FILL WHEN NECESSARY %' on advanced. They are 'linked' So, play with it if needed.

Also you had a 3,00mm (or something like that) on Minimum infill length. This value can create holes if too high, since it won't do infill on areas very small. Increase this if your print has errors and you get a lot of small infills.
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.10.png
Now you have layer height to 0.3 ? Maybe it's an error. If it's 0.3 then 100% and 100%. But if you change the layer to 0.2mm then you should set first layer height/width to 120-140% DONT GO BELLOW 100% unless.... (it doesn't make sense to underextrude the first layer)... but you get the idea.
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.04.png
Well you had quite a mess here before. I cleaned a bit and used a basic setup for 2.85mm dripping nozzle. (because 2.85 drips) It should be 'ok'. If you get errors on the perimeters of the print deactivate Coasting.

Also removed all that 'auto' crap. S3D autostuff it's crap, sorry, it it's. If you want to make a full automated profile, just make 6 profiles and keep a good clean setup of each material, layer, etc.

Cheers!
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.30.png
Captura de pantalla 2016-08-22 a las 11.21.17.png
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Hey that's very thorough and good. I know you're an advanced user so that will definitely help me (and others) out
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I meant to add....asides setting the temps for the bed and nozzle...I left everything else to defaults, hoping those would at least be close. Clearly not the case!
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Yea I know, default profile it's quite crap, but it can work for slow prints of 30mm/s ofc that's why I always recommend to copy the settings from cura, it's a good starting point.

Return to “Simplify 3D”