Cura vs Simplify3D Facebook Poll....

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Cura vs Simplify3D Facebook Poll....

Post by LePaul »

I posted a small poll on the Creality CR-10 Droid Builders Facebook group yesterday, letting it run for 24 hours. It's a busy area and I figure we could get a few results..... here they are.

Random poll question...why do you use Simplify3D over Cura?
cura-poll.PNG
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Cura vs Simplify3D Facebook Poll....

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I personally believe that you can have a poll represent any result you want by where and how the poll is taken.
I myself could take the Same poll for both sides and come the conclusion as the pollster that the individual paying me wanted to hear.

The other day took a model that could not be sliced with idealMaker as a single piece object. When Printed the Ears are not attached to the tube.
Then was informed by a user of Simplify3D that the same occurs slicing with Simplify3D. Although Cura all versions sliced model into perfection.

To test, lets see if this is true or false that the object in question could not be sliced using Simplify3D, or If there is a problem with the model or the Slicers. As I do not have Simplify3D and they do not have a demo, I can not test the results of such a test. Can the model or cannot the model be sliced using Simplify3D. Please slice and post the sliced model of how well Simplify3D preformed.

This is the Model in question.
Holder_Lower.stl
(457.57 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
This is Sliced with Cura 15.04.6
Image2.jpg
This is sliced with idealMaker (you can see the ears are not connected to the tube)
Slice2.jpg
Post results Is model flawed? Was Simply3D being misrepresented?
Tried other Slicers about 1/2 could not correctly slice the model.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I need to find the model I have...I had the opposite result. Simplify3D had the pieces attached, Cura 3.0.3 had them apart.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

LePaul wrote: October 26th, 2017, 12:55 pm I need to find the model I have...I had the opposite result. Simplify3D had the pieces attached, Cura 3.0.3 had them apart.
Never said it did not go both ways, Post this model would like to see it. I have many slicers to test it with.

Question? Has anyone determine how this sort of slicing errors occur or how to correct the models?
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Roberts_Clif wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:10 pm Question? Has anyone determine how this sort of slicing errors occur or how to correct the models?
It is likely the original STL file has unmerged vertices. If the original was created with simple extruded shapes, there could be hidden faces where the ears meet the center section. I'll look at the STL in BLender and see if I see anything.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Here it is...the section on the left just falls off (yet you would expect the mount tab on the right to have the obvious issue)
Capture.PNG
Attachments
Reduced Height Fan Bracket.stl
(111.51 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I took a look at your Model and see it was poorly assembled from many pieces.
I took note that the left hand ear is not connected even before slicing you can see space between the left hand ear and the scoop of the model.
I took the liberty of property connecting both ears, though noticed that the scoop is also in need of some repair work thou not as dire.

New Model
Reduced Height Fan Bracket.stl
(90.61 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Cura Sliced
Reduced Height Fan Bracket.jpg
Thinking about it that Is most likely what is wrong with the Tube model with 8 ears.

On a different note: Finding that the more work done with idealMaker's slicer the more it appeals to me. Including the build in model repair functions.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

So, as promised, I looked at your tube w/ 8 ears in Blender, and yes the ears are separated by a zero face. Like one was imported and copied, then slid into place by hand w/o merging the edges. Older Cura will handle this, to a fault. I have a few models where it 'helpfully' fixed the mesh, thus sealing a push reset button or making a print-in-place hinge solid. Newer Cura has more control (to some degree).
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Download blender 1 year ago on November 25 wonder why I have never installed it.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

LePaul wrote: October 26th, 2017, 12:55 pm I need to find the model I have...I had the opposite result. Simplify3D had the pieces attached, Cura 3.0.3 had them apart.
That happens because the objects are separated not fully one object. Click Separate Connected Surfaces and fixed. S3D doesn’t fix the bad 3d objects for the user but Cura does. Is a slicer bad if the user makes a bad geometry? Netfabb has a free cloud service that fixes most problems. Try to fix it and check again

Return to “Cura”