Re: Cura 3.0 beta

Post by jonnybischof »

I wonder if that's a good thing or not :P
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

jonnybischof wrote: October 24th, 2017, 3:16 am I wonder if that's a good thing or not :P
There is an excellent post in the UM forum about just that that no one has commented on yet :P
https://ultimaker.com/en/community/5162 ... than-2x-3x
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

After reading that post, I had to login to the UM forum for the first time in a year or so, just to give the guy a like :-)
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

:lol:

I do like that Cura has stepped up and shows great progress after being "stale" for quite some time.
But even as a somewhat experienced user I am put off by the complexity of the UI in Cura [23].x.

I liked the simplicity of 15.04...and it's advanced mode...but I also felt that it was too limited in functionality. Which is why I have come to love Simplify3D...it is easier to understand...the graphics is viewable on my computers...whereas Cura's layer view is to my eyes a disaster. But I do miss some of the features that they have added recently in Cura.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I'm quickly overwhelmed by the settings page in Cura, especially where some settings are not able to be altered (part of the profile, i would guess?).

I'm sure those hundreds of settings (or so it feels) do wonderful things...but the layout is just ...well, too much.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

The next release is probably going to have setting visibility preferences. That will probably fix the issue; We can then add a "basic", "Advanced" & "Expert" list of settings to be visible.
darkdvd
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2/UM2+

Post by darkdvd »

...and "Infill Slider" ... ?
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

nallath wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 5:50 am In new Cura, i think you have way more customisation compared to s3d. People still seem to think that S3D has more settings, but that has long ago ceased to be the case. Right now Cura has ~15 settings regarding retraction alone.
Uhm... yes and no. ;-)
The absolute number of features might be one thing but the way how you can use the features. In S3D you can set up the features for a certain layer height (ALL the features btw.!) so I hope that (one of) the next Cura version is going to have that more-than-one-process-feature per object giving the possibility not only to change layer height but also other settings like fan speed, print speed, temperature etc.
And there is at least one setting still in S3D which has no counterpart in Cura at all: bridging. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Yet still no ability to custom place support.

Cura creates loads of updates and new features but keeps skipping over the single biggest reason why people use S3D instead of Cura.

Just saying...it's that obvious to end users, we wish it was that way to Cura Dev :)
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

@LePaul this is not entirely true. Yes, you cannot draw your own support in Cura. But you can load a model which has the shape of the space where you want additional support and select "support mesh" in the per object settings. Or you can use the "anti overhang mesh" for avoiding the build of support in that volume.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I haven't seen much for documentation on how to use those things.

But again, for my large prints that need manual supports...I can't use Cura. And I'm printing dozens and dozens of those prints lately.

And then there's the removal process of supports between Cura and S3D :)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

That and most companies don't care about support; they just print with PVA.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

@Dim3nsioneer I have seen that "feature" mentioned several times...never tried it though...but that sounds really complicated compared to the point-and-click to place manual support like you can do in S3D.

The feature list in Cura [23].x is impressive...and growing fast...but the UX leaves a lot to be desired.

(Not saying that S3D is perfect either :P )
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

If people propose design changes, they will be taken into account. Open source doesn't just mean we only want software engineers working with us ;)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm seeing a few posts on Facebook about machine settings being lost in the upgrade from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4

FYI

Return to “Cura”