Re: (Neo)Sanding / Ironing

Post by drayson »

Very nice!
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

We just had a research sprint, this was one of the things that came out. Ruben also tried to do it with all top surfaces (so actually adding 3D moves to make multiple layers smooth), but that didn't work so well.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Looking forward to pictures!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

LePaul wrote: June 15th, 2017, 9:22 am Looking forward to pictures!
Better yet, a full release!
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Nice. Will my name be on the release notes?
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Neotko wrote: June 15th, 2017, 11:06 am Nice. Will my name be on the release notes?
I think you deserve a honourable mention ;)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

nallath wrote: June 16th, 2017, 3:31 am
Neotko wrote: June 15th, 2017, 11:06 am Nice. Will my name be on the release notes?
I think you deserve a honourable mention ;)
Is weird how all this is done. You guys could have contacted me about how I feel about using my idea on Cura, just as a courtesy. Also for the development I have a Neosanding 2.0 that can do the '3D' sanding to remove layer effects. We could have chat, share and make it better. But instead is just a different name, a code property of UM and not even a mail? Man, cool to use other ideas, but also, not cool.

I don't know how many times something new on the slicer pops, but I though was a really good idea.

Anyway nothing against you, you know I think high of you. But I'm quite piss off somehow.

Also, doing 3D interlayer sanding, is quite easy... Don't thing as a cnc, think as multiprocess with invisible paths.For example, neosanding at 0.1 every 2 layers with the right number approximation will nail a sanding on 2-3 perimeters before the layer jump. I can do it manually, but using it as code could allow to discern if the layer jump needs to occur on 1 or 2 or 3 perimeters to cut the slope. So... Good luck with 'Ironing'
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Neotko wrote: June 16th, 2017, 3:41 am Is weird how all this is done. You guys could have contacted me about how I feel about using my idea on Cura, just as a courtesy.
And if you say no, we could still have done it. I don't believe in these kind of courtesies. If the answer to a question won't influence what you're doing, don't bother asking the question.
Neotko wrote: June 16th, 2017, 3:41 am Also for the development I have a Neosanding 2.0 that can do the '3D' sanding to remove layer effects. We could have chat, share and make it better.
Good to know. We tried it, but couldn't get it to work quickly. The thing we tried actually used 3D paths to remove the aliasing effect.
Neotko wrote: June 16th, 2017, 3:41 am But instead is just a different name, a code property of UM and not even a mail? Man, cool to use other ideas, but also, not cool.
Eh? Are you now pissed that is has a different name? I think the current name is better, but are we really having an argument about that? As for the implementation, ultimaker paid someone 2 weeks to build it. Seems fair that they also own the code right? I don't see the issue, as it's now available under AGPL v3.

Also note that "our" implementation isn't exactly the same as yours. It also slightly extrudes to fill up gaps.

I don't understand why form a pretty normal post, you suddenly post a full out rant. As far as I see it, you made a cool proof of concept, we thought "Hey, that guy did something fucking awesome, lets make it usable for everyone". You're right that it would be bad if we didn't mention that we got the idea from you, but as I already said, we have every intention of doing this.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

The problem is that to give you the full picture of why this for me is the last straw (the Spanish phrase for this doesn't exist in english "La gota que colma el vaso") is much other stuff that I been seeing that I can't comment on the forums. I can make you a cute list of why this is for me the tipping point (not that's a good phrase for this). The core of the problem isn't to use this ironing-wherever-name, as I said I find it pretty cool that this will be easy to use, indeed I think that's really cool.

What stopped anyone at UM to just send me a mail and exchange ideas? Is that complex? I would be part of something developed by you guys. and ofc I would have say 10 times yesplease!

There's a general posture, not related exactly with Cura, but with UM way of doing stuff, and that's what made me take this posture. I wish I could explain you futher, but not on the forums since the info isn't all mine to share openly.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

For what it is worth, I have been working directly with Ultimaker on a few things. I don't think I will ever see a "that R2-D2 guy" credit in a news release and no free printers have arrived at my home...but for me, I appreciate that they took the time to consider my idea and help develop it further. And those conversations and sharing of ideas continue.

I think Neo should've had that same experience if this is the further development of his idea. How you credit it is between you two.

I mean, clearly Neo is a huge contributor to that forum and many enhancements.
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Neotko wrote: June 16th, 2017, 8:48 am The problem is that to give you the full picture of why this for me is the last straw/
I'm sorry to hear that. I really am.
Neotko wrote: June 16th, 2017, 8:48 am What stopped anyone at UM to just send me a mail and exchange ideas? Is that complex? I would be part of something developed by you guys. and ofc I would have say 10 times yesplease!
I don't know. But I hope you can understand why after this "small sin" (as yes, it would have been nicer if someone had sent you a mail. I didn't think about it either) your rant directed at me (and my colleagues) seems like ton of overkill. Hence my response. As for influence goes, I think if any of you guys say something, it does have a certain weight. I value issue (either bug or features) raports from people that I know what they are talking about much higher.

Return to “Cura”