2.3 beta

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Re: 2.3 beta

Post by Titus »

Well I'd say it is a guaranteed fix for 2.3
Of course there is a middle ground if you want to keep old stuff, perhaps a pm to Nallath can help you
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Re: 2.3 no more beta

Post by Amedee »

Re-installing windows also often helps... :lol:

I also decided to go for 2.3...
I Installed the 2.3 Beta some time ago, but never used it -- I went back on the old legacy Cura as I just had things to print and didn't want to explore ;)

It seems that Ultimaker eventually decided to sign Cura on Mac as a didn't had to change my security settings anymore -- good thing!

Now I am really impressed by the speed improvement. I liked 2.1, but on my old machine loading and slicing was significantly slower in 2.1 compared to legacy Cura. I haven't made scientific tests, but we now have almost parity. Loading seems to be a bit slower in 2.3, and slicing a bit faster.
All in all loading and slicing mini-bommeltje takes around 11 secs in Legacy Cura and about 12 in 2.3.
Bommeltje
Bommeltje
Latest version of my ShowLayer plugin also works fine, so I think I am ready to go!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Ugh, I'd hate to loose the settings I had in 15.4.2 for my UMO

I've posted on the "official" forum and no real answers yet :)
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Did you try to delete the user folder for Cura in your Appdata folder? It like \Users\username\Appdata\something\cura

It is only for the 2.x track...the 15.x versions have separate user folders, at least on Macs. So you won't mess with the legacy version by deleting it.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

To be more specific...on Windows...

Cura 2.x: \Users\username\AppData\Local\cura

Legacy (15.0x): \Users\username\.cura\15.04.2

So legacy Cura has separate user folders for each release. But Cura 2.x reuses the same folder. So with Cura 2.x I imagine that it will be hard to keep several versions in parallel in the same user account. While for legacy Cura that was not a problem.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

So here are some of my thoughts after using new Cura for some time.
I find the it quite good, but there are things that I really miss from old Cura. I will not delete the old version anytime soon, that is for sure :-)

Regarding speed, new Cura generally feels faster but it is not consistent. It sometimes gets slow and does strange things when I add numerous copies of the same object for example (?).
One thing that is a huge improvement in new Cura is the pan/zoom/tilt-function. Coming from a CAD-program it was a pain to try to zoom in on the layers when previewing in old Cura but in new Cura it works just as one would like it to. :-)

The most annoying thing by far for me (which several people complained about during beta testing) in new Cura is the scale function where you scale both by putting in numbers and by "dragging". One carefully scales the object and then wants to move it slightly on the platform as in old Cura, and then it goes gigantic or microscopic instead... :evil:

There are two more features I would like back too, one is the multiply option where you could add the number of copies.
The other one is the split function that splits STL-files that consists of several parts into individual parts.
It is not something I use for every print, but it sure is nice functions when one need them.

I also, as always, have issues related to the autoslicing. (As much as I know Ultimaker will never make a button to pause autoslicing, I think that is the most needed function of them all in Cura).
One problem of course is that Cura generally gets slow and unresponsive when autoslicing large models.
Another is that move/scale/rotate sometimes stop responding after multiple quick changes in parameters (which appears to have something to do with autoslicing), suddenly it does not matter how much you click on the model, you still can not use those buttons on the left.

Having to click on the model again every now and then to use those functions on the left is by the way unintuitive, one should make it always stick to the last model that was changed or loaded. (I had issues with this trying to teach people how to use Cura lately).

Then Cura still has issues with large models.
First of all I would like it the old way, when it does NOT autoscale the model when loaded (you can end up wasting a lot of time if you don't notice it was autoscaled). It was much nicer and more intuitive on old Cura when the model simply ended up grey and visually much larger than the printer volume.
Then there is one model that I could slice in old Cura (although it took forever and made Cura crash from time to time) that does not work at all in new Cura: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:862724
Not sure where it goes wrong but it is a pity since it is a really nice model to print.

And then one really important thing:
New Cura is killing PLA prints by setting full fan speed at second layer (0.3 mm).
In old Cura it was set to gradually increase speed up to 2 mm (I think) which worked really well.
This is the difference between being able to print PLA on a cold glass plate with glue and not being able to print on cold plate with glue.
I never understood why Ultimaker overuse the cooling fans like this, it is the same thing with ABS, just reduce cooling a bit and you will not have buildplate adhesion issues anymore! :-)

I hope I did not overload you with work now nallath :-)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

That "Flow %" work-around seems dangerous...especially if you forget it!

I completely agree with the autoslice. The BB-8 parts completely fill the bed and carefully rotating makes it fit the bed. Sometimes my Cura would no longer respond after a few pivots.

Autoscale cost me a half roll of filament and a lot of lost time. I'm glad you can shut that off now. (I like the adage "If it isn't broken, don't fix it. The grey coloring of the object was simple and effective at letting the user know their model wouldn't fit until yellow.)

I do like the Coasting feature. My prints aren't getting those combing lines like they used to
avogra
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by avogra »

Isn't there an option to disable autoscale? and i recommend to disable autoplace as well.
incremental fan speed: you can set yourself the height at which full fan speed is reached.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Yes you can disable Autoscale Large Objects and Very Small Objects in the Settings - > Configure Setting Visibility > General (that menu setup seems to be a mess)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Yes, luckily most things can be turned off or changed :-)
It ends up wasting lots of time and filament for unexperienced users or people used to old Cura default functionality though, before they realize which settings risks ruining print jobs if not changed or modified.

The default settings in Cura really should focus at as reliable printing as possible in my opinion, not at being as automated as possible.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

I can't agree more Anders.

I see how Cura wants to make stuff easier with auto adjust stuff. But if the 'advanced' doesn't even allows to desactivate automatic stuff then isn't advanced. Make a new 'Pro' mode for real advanced users.

Also it doesn't really save profiles. On um3 is a bit annoying (I never print with cura for other than um3) and when you save a profile it only saves what you changed, not a real full profile. Also you can't edit some info aunless you edit the json files. So, not really advanced. Is a simple mode with some options.

But hey, Cura is awesome for dual. (Isn't sarcasm)

Lepaul the flow trick is nice. It can't print with 1 flow, so for a new user, well there's a big red block warning.

I would prefer a button to turn autoslice off/on. Since sometimes is useful and sometimes is a pain.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I agree about an off/on or even a command button to slice object. I understand the premise to update slicing info all along the way, but for larger models you need to move around, it's awful
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

Neotko wrote: Also it doesn't really save profiles. On um3 is a bit annoying (I never print with cura for other than um3) and when you save a profile it only saves what you changed, not a real full profile.
How is saving "=1 + 1 + 0 + 1" any different then saving "3" with regards to the value that you get? I don't quite see your aversion against saving changes. It's actually a lot more annoying to save "flattened" data, as then it's a whole lot harder to extract what data was modified by the user (which you want in quite a few cases to remind the user what they actually did)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Problem is repetition. If the unsaved data depends on Cura data and future versions change that data, theen future prints will change without knowing why/howto fiz it. I understand that heating sequence depends on speed/s that the cores heat, but even that info should come from the machine core and not cura?

Return to “Cura”