Cura 2.1 open beta

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Re: Cura 2.1 open beta

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

@Reibuehl: I wrote this about half a dozen time to the beta team during the closed beta. I suggested to change it from a prefix to a suffix. They ignored me. They think that it is more likely a user slices the object for a wrong machine. Sometimes I have the impression the guys at Geldermalsen have a bit a strange view onto some things... :roll:
The worst thing with this prefix actually is that it has been me who suggested an addition for machine identification on Github... :shock:
So I rather blame myself for having made this suggestion... :-(
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

Strange... I would think that most users they target at only have one machine and couldn't be bothered by these 3 characters if they selected the wrong machine in the initial setup ;-)

It should definitely be configurable AND a suffix. Or not there at all... IMHO.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

reibuehl wrote:When I save the g-code, Cure 2.1 adds a "UM2_" to the name of the g-code file. Is there a way to disable this? It is wasting three characters in the printer display - which unfortunately does not scroll left and right if a file name is longer - and seems to not provide any real value.
There is no way to disable that at the moment. It reaaaly provides value in the office here, as we have all of the types of machines and people who simply nick SD cards from machines if they need them.

We should make it optional. (Also, we didn't ignore it, we just didn't agree with it ;))
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

you can change the title in the screen by hand, if you really want too.
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I noticed that, but it is an additional manual task. Where does Cura get that prefix from? From the printer profile files? Maybe it would be possible to set the prefix there to an empty string?
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

nallath wrote:We should make it optional. (Also, we didn't ignore it, we just didn't agree with it ;))
We should discuss that difference over a beer I think... ;-)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

reibuehl wrote:I noticed that, but it is an additional manual task. Where does Cura get that prefix from? From the printer profile files? Maybe it would be possible to set the prefix there to an empty string?
It actually does a bunch of string magic regex to come up with that (based on the name of the machine). So changing the name to " " should work :)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

You guys really made it hard to get rid of that "feature" :-) I suggest to move it into the printer type profiles as a separate string. That way you can save the regex magic and it profiles should ship with that value set to "". Where can I file such an enhancement request?
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

so this means that if you give your machine a very short name, it generates a 'short' prefix. This is a one time handeling and you loose 2 spaces (1 letter and a _)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

reibuehl wrote:You guys really made it hard to get rid of that "feature" :-) I suggest to move it into the printer type profiles as a separate string. That way you can save the regex magic and it profiles should ship with that value set to "". Where can I file such an enhancement request?
Yeah. The pressure we were on to ship the 2.1 was rather killing (both because we wanted it done as pressure from others). That does have impact on how certain features are implemented (quick instead of good / modular).
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

I am trying to cross the bridge and force myself to use the thing...

I am running into 2 annoying issues / bug...

1. Fan control: If the fan settings are not default, then even when enable cooling fan is unchecked, you get the fans running.
Non default setting
Non default setting
Fan unchecked, but fans are still used.
Fan unchecked, but fans are still used.
2. Object movement and redo buffer.

When you move an object (like orientation), it fills the redo buffer with intermediate moves, while I would expect to record only the start position.
E.g. I want to rotate my piece. I start the move, but then I realize I can't go where I want (*), so I release the mouse button, and I 'Undo'. My expectation is to go back where I was when I pressed the mouse button, but no, many positions were saved in the redo buffer, so you have to 'Undo' again and again until you think you are at your start point.

(*) this is another weirdness: depending on your initial view, there are rotation angles that the UI refuses to take. Once you know that, you just have to put yourself in a normal view relative to the rotation plane, but I never got that in legacy Cura.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Yes, it looks like the undo logic is broken. I just happened to hit undo after loading an stl, and Cura continued slicing as if nothing had happend. Everything except X-ray mode still works. But there is no model visible anymore in the normal view :-P
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

Hi guys, have you already checked if it´s also in CURA 2.1.1?
Has been released recently...
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Yes, at least my findings is with 2.1.1 :)
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I haven't dared use Cura 2.1.1
I'm having enough troubleshooting issues with the printer itself :)

Return to “Cura”